Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 3:18:00 PM EDT

So, I read in this thread that there was this guy that went to this gas station and they wouldn't take his $100 bill.

And I read in this other thread that the cost of stamps was going up.

So, can I pay for my gas with .37 cent stamps if they dont take my $100 bill?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#1]
HUH?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
my guess would be no
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]

What are you talking about?  Stamps aren't money, they are a product that you buy with money.  You can't pay for gas with your shoes or your sandwich either.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Steve Martin got a hotel room with $17 and a hell of a nice watch.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
My grandpa has this weird notion about recirculating $2 bills. He orders them at the bank and gives them out any chance he can. So I'm in Vegas with my wife and a pocket full of $2 bills. The valets and cab guys love them. I try to pay for a coke at the gift shop and get

"Are you kidding?"

I said no.

The bitch behind the cash register goes "I can't take this"

I said sure you can, says right on their legal tender.

She says "The people in the count room would get mad"

I say, sounds like its their problem. Its legal tender, YOU need to take my money.

She flat out refused. So I go back up the room, call the desk and asked to talk to the supervisor of the shop. Turned out it was her, she says sorry again and why am I being so difficult. So I'm now pissed. I call down ask for the hotel manager and tell him I'm checking out 2 days early and will need my bags brought down. He asked why so I told him his hotel wouldn't take my money. He tried at first to make excuses for the woman. I told him I didn't care. It was legal money, the soda was $1.99, only needed a penny back. Other smallest bill I had was a single $1 and $50's and $100's (it is Vegas). So after a little while he says "let me see what I can do". A few minutes later he informs me that he is sending up a 6 pack of coke and free buffet passes.

Was I overreacting? Maybe, but I can't stand people making up their own rules about what they will and won't take. I definately got my point across.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What are you talking about?  Stamps aren't money, they are a product that you buy with money.  You can't pay for gas with your shoes or your sandwich either.

No expert here, but I thought that I'd heard at one time USPS stamps were legal tender?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Some dumbass clogged the stamp machine today with one of those old 2 dollar COINS.  Dumbass.  No I have to wait to get stamps
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Was I overreacting? Maybe, but I can't stand people making up their own rules about what they will and won't take. I definately got my point across.

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No expert here, but I thought that I'd heard at one time USPS stamps were legal tender?

Could be - I rarely know what I am talking about!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top