Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 12:41:01 PM EDT
Alright here's what's been happening in my house for the last 3 weeks.

The TV, my cell phone, and my computer speakers have all been making these annoying fucking noises at random times. The thing that bothers me is the noise is all pretty similar. It always sounds like a higher pitched whining sound that comes and goes in dot-dot-dot like sequences.

Normally I wouldn't be bothered by just one electronic thing doing this but it's been happening in three different appliances that are all located in different rooms?

To know I wasn't going crazy I asked other members of my family and they can all hear the same sounds.

Seriously, WTF is going on?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Your house is bugged. Get out, now!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Seriously. It's pissing me off and has me kicking my computer as hard as I fucking can every time it does it. My patience is wearing thin.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Does your pooper feal strange?

Do you have periods off time that you can not account for?

Do recall strange beings?

Any strange scares on your body?

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Seriously, WTF is going on?

We can't tell you.

But you snore in your sleep.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Its your GSM cell phone..
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot the noises generally sound the same every time, so it doesn't seem to just be random noise.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell, that's just the HARP Project. You just now notice it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
My electronics act the same way everytime I recieve an incomming phone call on my cell, and when i'm on it.

If you have a cell phone try turning it off, maybe leaving the electronics unplugged for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Its your GSM cell phone..

That seriously can cause all this annoying shit? Why?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#11]
dead people
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#12]
You tell us.  You're "roboman".

My PC speakers make a noise like that before my cell phone rings.  Sometimes the car speakers do too.

What's your cell #?  I'll call you and test it out.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not an electrical engineer, but my phone does the same thing when in close proximity to computer speakers or vice versa.  Must be some kind of interference.

Or it could be
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me guess:

You have a blackberry.

Or some other GSM device; cellphone, etc that uses GSM.

Here's what you do:

Leave it in the car.

The bzzzzt bzt bzt bzt bzt is it reconnecting to the network, checking it's status, and checking for messages.  Everyone at work has a blackberry, and we need to stick them in drawers or face them away from phones, speakers, etc. It's horribly annoying on conference calls...

Basically, you need to hide it far away from any of that stuff if you don't want to hear it..
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Cell phone, especially my GPRS Blackberry.
I can hear it on the television my phone is 20 feet away.
Very annoying.

Also, I used to have a neighbor who was into HAM radios.
I could hear his conversations over my AV speakers, even when the system was completely off.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#16]
EMP bomb
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#17]
try removing your cell phone from the house and see if ti goes away.

If not
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Let me guess:

You have a blackberry.

Here's what you do:

Leave it in the car.

The bzzzzt bzt bzt bzt bzt is it reconnecting to the network, checking it's status, and checking for messages.  Everyone at work has a blackberry, and we need to stick them in drawers or face them away from phones, speakers, etc. It's horribly annoying on conference calls...

Basically, you need to hide it far away from any of that stuff if you don't want to hear it..

I use Cingular Wireless and use a RAZR (which I believe is on GSM).

Now, my problem is this. When I'm at college I live in a small dorm room, so putting it far away is not an option. Do I just wrap it in tin foil or something?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I could hear his conversations over my AV speakers, even when the system was completely off.

back when i was in to CB radio i made my neighbors microwave talk, dont know how or why, but i guess when you are running 700 watts out of a car it might do that ( btw legal is 4 watts )
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me guess:

You have a blackberry.

Here's what you do:

Leave it in the car.

Now, my problem is this. When I'm at college I live in a small dorm room, so putting it far away is not an option. Do I just wrap it in tin foil or something?

Turn it off, or make a faraday cage in which to store it.  Both ways means it will not be functioning.

If it has a "flight mode" that would work too, again it would not make or receive calls.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Something is "broadcasting" at a frequency that is bleeding to those devices mentioned.

That, or it really is the NSA,CIA etc.

GM
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Well, you can try throwing it in a drawer or your fridge, but it'll have the same end result..the phone may as well be off as it probably doesn't have a signal anyway.

Hell, that's what voicemail is for anyway.

Now, when it happens to me/us here, re-orienting it seems to work pretty well. I don't mean like you need to send it to Davy Jones' Locker, but like, in another room is fine. 5-6 feet away should be fine.  Putting it a foot or two away and turning it so it's antenna isn't pointed at you/your electronics should work pretty well, too...

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Putting on another layer of tinfoil.......

Could be your cell phone, or blackberry. Are there any military installations in the area? How about a airport? Have you added any new electronics lately?
You mention a high pitch whine, have you checked the voltage of your incomming power? Improper voltages can make a computer monitor or tv whine. Also If you monitor is a CRT it could be failing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it has something to do with Bluetooth.  That's the first thing that popped into my head.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Move your cell phone away from your PC. You are getting intereference from it. Turn your pC speakers off.

If that doesn't work.............There's always TINFOIL!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Ball lightning and swamp gas.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My electronics act the same way everytime I recieve an incomming phone call on my cell, and when i'm on it.

Me too.  

Roboman, I think you've been EMP'd!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me guess:

You have a blackberry.

Here's what you do:

Leave it in the car.

Buy metal speaker boxes and sheilded cables. For some reason many non-GSM phones don't cause this.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#30]
They'rrrre here.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Any neighbors with a CB antenna operating with illegal power?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#32]
There are two possible explaninations for what you are experiencing.  Number one, would be a loose neutral connection at the weather head for the electrical service comming into your house.  This loose neutral connection basically removes the 120V base line of the source coming into your house.  Therefore, your appliances are possibly trying to operiate on anywhere from 0 to 240V.  This is extreme, more like 90V to 150V.  If this was the case you would normally experience a "hot" or "burning electronics" smell coming from your fridge, elec stove, etc.  If so call your utility and tell them you have a loose neutral.  They will know what your taling about.

Reason two is a little harder to expalain and track down.  Radio iterference (RI) is caused electrical current arching thru the air. This can be caused by their an inside appliance or outside utility problem.  To check it see if it is an inside problem, find an old battery operated radio and tune it to and AM stataion until you hear the noise.  Then go to your home breaker panel and start shutting off one breaker at a time.  If you turn off any breaker and the noise goes away, you have now found the bad circuit in you house.  From there, turn the breaker back on and go to the area in your house that is feed by the circuit that cause the problem to go away.  Again, listen for the noise on the AM raidio and start unplugging (not just turn off) appliances.  If you unplug an appliance and noise goes away you have found your problem.  Big culprits are fish tank heaters, door bell buzzer, floursent light ballast, and older washing machines.  If none of this helps it is most liklely a utility problem. Has any utility work been done in your neighborhood as of late?  Any lightning storms?  In the case of utilites, they have a loose connection somewhere and is causing current to jump to a lower potential thru the air, thus causing RI.  Don't expect them to do anything about it if you complain.  It's a major pain in the ASS to track down, I would know!  Normally the PSC hands this stuff over the the electric utility, but it can be caused by phone, cable, etc.

Hope this help.  Sorry about the poor spelling, I'm headed off to my shoot leaque tonight and I'm in a hurry. But I do understand your frustration.  Good luck.

Powereng
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me guess:

You have a blackberry.

Here's what you do:

Leave it in the car.

Nextels are notorious for this. In my Gov car (Dodge Stratus) the radio is turned off and on if I leave my Nextel in the storage slot above the radio and go in/out of a service area. I know when that phone is about to ring with incoming cell call before the phone rings. I assumes your RAZR (Motorola phone) is using similiar technology.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

back when i was in to CB radio i made my neighbors microwave talk, dont know how or why, but i guess when you are running 700 watts out of a car it might do that ( btw legal is 4 watts )

Me and my brother ran a 1200 watt linear, at least thats what it was before a few mods. Ever have the FCC come to your door? They are never in a good mood. By the way it wasn,t the neighbors complaining they just picked up or unusually loud and clear sinal.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep, definitely seems like it was my cell phone. I've had it turned off since I posted this thread and it has been working fine ever since.

When I first heard the noise it was making I rushed out and bought a new HD thinking it was my HD that was dying. Almost went and bought a new sound card thinking that one was dying.

Goddamn phone.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#36]
It will also maybe do it in the car. It is a good warning so you can get your phone off before it rings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top