Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2006 12:05:21 PM EDT
I think I might have a sleeping disorder or worse. I lay in bed at night and allow my mind to play tricks on me. I hear the slightest sound and I'm up, gun in hand to check it out. I live in the country so I feel relatively secure, but I have a feeling that someone is going to break in.

I have to check all the locks before I go to bed, partially close the bathroom and bedroom door before I can drift off. I won't even lube the door hinges because when opened they squeek, and that is a sound that wakes me up.

Am I Schizophrenic? or something else?

My wife thinks it's completely weird that I sleep with a gun under my pillow.

What can I do?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have problems sleeping too. Best way is to resolve all issues and worries when you first hop in. It sounds gay, but be at peace and you'll fall asleep alot faster.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, ive drew down on the wind before.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Tylenol PM is my friend.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's got to do with being a Combat Vet, I can't help you other than to suggest you seek the help of other vets (because that's what I read helps).

But I have a hard time sleeping too. I don't sleep with a gun right under my pillow though!

I get to a point- all relaxed, body and mind at relative ease, and then I think of something- work related, a random half-awake dream, whatever, and I concentrate on it. I don't let it go and before I know it, 45 minutes at a crack have gone by, I'm wide awake, and my mind's going.

Tylenol PM used to help but I think it's losing its potency with me (I would take one a night a max of 2 nights in a row- nothing addictive, it just lost its effectiveness). The occasional beer before bed does help but I don't want to make a habit of it.

*shrug*
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I can only sleep for about 2 hours then I am right back up for a half hour to an hour. Then I can go back to sleep for 2 hours again. Not sure the cause, but I've gotten use to it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This site has made you super paranoid, just like a lot of regulars on this site.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't freak out about anyone breaking in or anything, but for some reason as soon as a lay down to go to sleep that's when my mind wants to start solving problems and shit. I keep thinking about things that I can't even do anything about at the time or even things I can't do anything about at all.

It sucks. I wish I could just turn my brain down to like 20% sometimes. I bet dumb people fall asleep right away, shit they never think.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay, given what you've said I'd recommend some psychotherapy.

Sounds like you have some issues.   No shame in that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have no trouble sleeping as long as i have a weapon close to me its very strange. I get VERY paranoid if i dont have something within reach. Even having my Ka-Bar next to my pillow works. I just feel helpless without a weapon . Might have something to do with living with your rifle everywhere you go for a long period of time . That feeling of security you get from it kinda sticks with ya.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a dog, train it, and then trust it to wake you if something hits the fan.  Good dog = good active alarm system + friend.  My bet is a good dog can give you the peace of mind required to sleep.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a marked difference between preparedness and paranoia. You've without a doubt crossed this line. I hope you can find a proper therapist to help you deal with these issues.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm the same way, it doesn't even have anything to do with paranoia, I just don't sleep. I try not to go to bed until I'm tired, but even then, I just toss and turn and stare at the ceiling for hours ... and here's the kicker ... Once I get to sleep, I'm so worried about not getting to sleep, that I wake up every half hour or so to check and see if I've fallen asleep yet ... Sucks.

I think I could honestly say that I haven't had a decent night's sleep since I was in Elementary school.

I asked my last Doctor about this problem, and the dumb bitch tells me to drink a warm glass of milk before bed ... Look, if I want advice from the Farmers Almanac, I'll pay the 6 bucks for a copy rather than pay 200 bucks for a Doctors visit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get a dog, train it, and then trust it to wake you if something hits the fan.  Good dog = good active alarm system + friend.  My bet is a good dog can give you the peace of mind required to sleep.

+1

Alarm system and dog.

(Unless, of course, it is something simple like a worn out, uncomfortable mattress that doesn't allow you to relax.)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like a light case obsessive compusive disorder. I have lived with more then one person who had it. Its not for them and it really gets bad when it negatively affects others around you. Counsiling usually helps in cases like these.

For nights I have trouble sleeping I take a half dose of tylenol PM. It helps me relax but doesn't make me a zombie (I can still easily wake up in the middle of the night and morning).

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#17]
We have an indoor dog (Beagle), still no peace of mind from that.

I just don't think therapy will help. I've been like this for years. Not so funny thing is, when I was in the Army I never had problems sleeping. Now that I'm out I have a hard time sleeping at night. I can sleep my ass off during the day though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
get plenty of exercise during the day.
don't leave stuff unfinished.
And if that doesn't help, melatonin.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tylenol PM is my friend.

That is what my wife keeps trying to get me to take.  

I dunno bout the rest of you, but I seem to function OK on 4-5 hours a night.

i am the same way. through the week i probably average4.5 hrs of actual sleep a night. i seem to function okay, but i bet we would do even better on 8 hrs. i can be exteremely tired but as soon as i get in bed my mind just jumps from one set of thoughts to the next. for hours and hours. it is frustrating.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I just don't think therapy will help. I've been like this for years. Not so funny thing is, when I was in the Army I never had problems sleeping. Now that I'm out I have a hard time sleeping at night. I can sleep my ass of during the day though.

Then try this:

Get your AR, turn out the light, get in the prone, and pretend you're pulling security. You should be sound asleep within 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Yea, I do..   While not because I am worried about someone breaking in..  just because i cannot really shut my mind off..   I avg 3~4hrs a night   at around 7pm I can fall asleep no problem,  but by 10 I am wide awake again and really to go..   some nights, I  never really do fall asleep..  If I hit 5 I usually just end up staying up because I have to get up in an hour anyway for work..     Then waking up is a whole other issue..    I can sleep through my two very loud alarm clocks, easilly.   it sux

Yea, I also check doors quite a bit, occasionally I check the back, then fron then back again because i forgot i allready checked it. I've been know to be at work, then go back out to check because i will think I left the window open or something on my truck    It aggrivates me
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think I might have a sleeping disorder or worse. I lay in bed at night and allow my mind to play tricks on me. I hear the slightest sound and I'm up, gun in hand to check it out. I live in the country so I feel relatively secure, but I have a feeling that someone is going to break in.

I have to check all the locks before I go to bed, partially close the bathroom and bedroom door before I can drift off. I won't even lube the door hinges because when opened they squeek, and that is a sound that wakes me up.

What can I do?

I was ok when I first got home, but it has been almost a year now and I am getting like to have the same problem.

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just don't think therapy will help. I've been like this for years. Not so funny thing is, when I was in the Army I never had problems sleeping. Now that I'm out I have a hard time sleeping at night. I can sleep my ass of during the day though.

Then try this:

Get your AR, turn out the light, get in the prone, and pretend you're pulling security. You should be sound asleep within 5 minutes.

I bet that would work wonders! Only other thing you would need is a helmet. This way you can rest the edge of the helmet on the buttstock like a pillow.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then try this:

Ain't that the truth...that was ALWAYS the hardest time to stay awake.

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was forced to retire due to an injury I suddenly was able to sleep and my fingernails started needing to be clipped instead of being gnawed off

No more laying awake at night problem solving, etc.  Also helped when I kicked the old lady out into her own bedroom. Big ole warm waterbed all to myself and the snoring was two walls away.   She lays her head down and within minutes is cutting zzzz's.

The only time I pop up at night is when the driveway alarm goes off.  12ga & 9mm stay by my bed.

rj
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Just because you're paranoid, who's to say that someone isn't out to get you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What can I do?

Aha, so our little alien mind games are starting to get to you!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Also helped when I kicked the old lady out into her own bedroom

How did you manage to pull that one off . My woman would sonner make me sleep outside then leave my bed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Prozac and trazadone work real well
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What can I do?

Although it takes more to wake me up at night, I’m not much different than you. If I hear a strange noise at night I investigate it…..along with my GSD. If he starts barking I’m up instantly with SIG in hand! I often get up at night and check out the front and back windows checking on the security  of the house.

Checking all the windows and locks before I go to bed is SOP. I can not imagine going to bed assuming that everything is secure. To do that in my eyes is not being a responsible father or husband.  My bedroom door stays cracked at night but the bathroom door which leads to the back of the house is secure. I can not sleep if that door is not secure, even though my GSD is laying at the foot of my bed wide awake and 100%alert.

I do not sleep with my SIG under my pillow, but my bed side safe is unlocked and at DEFCON 1!

No, it’s called responsibility towards ones family and your perfectly normal!

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Do you have a hard time sleeping at night?

Not a hard time, just don't sleep as long anymore since I'm getting old.

When the eyes open and you feel good. Get up!

I get more sore and less rested if I try to go down for more sleep.

Woke up at 12:01am last night, stayed up, went to work at 6:00am
and feel fine.

I kind of like it. When time is shorter, who in the hell wants to sleep it away.

GM
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I don't freak out about anyone breaking in or anything, but for some reason as soon as a lay down to go to sleep that's when my mind wants to start solving problems and shit. I keep thinking about things that I can't even do anything about at the time or even things I can't do anything about at all.

It sucks. I wish I could just turn my brain down to like 20% sometimes. I bet dumb people fall asleep right away, shit they never think.

You've got no idea how right you are.  My friend and I have the same problem sometimes.  I chalk it up to an overactive mind which some people attribute to a minor case of OCD.  I dont wash my hands more than I should, or probably as much as I should, and I don't behave like Monk, but sometimes my thoughts really go off on tangents.  Try some stress reduction tactics that you feel comfortable with, meditation, head shrinking, drinking, etc
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds obsessive compulsive to me also.
If so, SSRIs can be helpful.

Tylenol PM is a shitty idea for sleep. Why take tylenol for sleep?
If you are going to take benadryl for sleep, just take benadryl. Why add something else you don't need?

I tell everyone with insomnia to:
excercise daily,
do NOT nap(not even for 10 minutes),
avoid caffeine,
and not to go to bed until you are ready for sleep.
Beyond that depends on the individual circumstances.

Overall, I am not a fan of meds for sleep but that is easy for me to say, I've never had a problem as an adult.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Stop caring.

Learn from Peter in office space.

Stop Caring about anything.

Don't care if someone breaks in and kills you.  Don't care.

One thing I try and do is concentrate on a relaxing spot.  Like half drunk on a tropical island.  Try and think of every detail.  Careful not to get yourself excited.  No island girls.  Just the waves, the sun, a hammock etc etc.  You'll get tired.

Either that or have vigorous sex before you go to bed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#35]
One more thing, you might consider seeing your doc for an exam and basic lab workup incl thyroid.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What can I do?

Do you hear voices in your head?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I though I was hearing voices, then I realized it was just my wife nagging at me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Also helped when I kicked the old lady out into her own bedroom

How did you manage to pull that one off . My woman would sonner make me sleep outside then leave my bed.

She REALLY snores. It was messing up my sleep big time and I suffer from migraines and messing with my biorythms is an almost guaranteed way to trigger one.  I need a lot of sleep and wasn't getting it.  I sat her down and had a heart to heart and she did it 'cause she really loves me and wants the best for me.  She sleeps better too.  I can snore also .  I also messed up my neck and need to sleep uncontorted.  If you think about it sharing a bed [ for sleeping ] is stupid.  Helps to have been married for nearly 28 yrs.

rj
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Get a dog.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#40]
always a problem relaxing
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I find that the sleep timer on the TV lets me focus on it and I drift off to sleep.  Otherwise, I lay there thinking about anything and everything.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Do you worry that you won't be "there" when something happens?  Weren't you looking out the window when the neighbor and friend were talking for a few moments before the friend drove off?  If so, you've probably got it covered fine.  Relax and go to sleep.  You won't miss anything.  Besides, I bet you were actually sleeping for most of the time you thought you were laying awake.  I'm never sure when I realize I just became fully aware. . .

I have two Jack Russel Terriers on/in the bed (don't ask, they're the Wife's new children) and the black chow mix in the back yard.  They're either the ones that need to go out to wizz or there's a mouse out there!!!!!!  Either way, I certainly won't miss it .

Last resort:  I used to listen to a scanner, with head phone/plugs.  I NEVER missed The Kid on his way to the restroom or the neighbor's frikken barking dog.  In the mean time, it's amazing what trying to listen to something does for your sleepiness quotient.  Now, I just have a little AM radio with one headphone pad on the ear and the other behind the ear.

Just a few thoughts,
cy
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Get a good dog if you dont have one. He will let you know if anybody is screwing around.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I recently have had lots of trouble sleeping. I used to be able to sleep almost anytime and npw I cant seem to sleep at night to save my ass. The funny thing is I will fall asleep on the couch, for usually about 30 minutes then wake up and go to bed. Once that happens I cant get back to sleep. Also , I dont know if its related or not but I have been having lots of very vivid dreams...soemtimes the same dream more then one night in a row, or mabey it just seemed that way.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then try this:

Ain't that the truth...that was ALWAYS the hardest time to stay awake.

-Ben

My neighbor who was in the AF told me that once when I said I've been having a tough time sleeping... I guess now it makes sense...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I have trouble sleeping alot too......I spend alot of time on the couch because my tossing and turning drives the wife crazy.......I will absolutely NOT go to sleep without a flashlight and a good knife under my pillow.........
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I need medications to sleep. Been that way for over 30 years. Something that followed me home from Vietnam.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Prozac and trazadone work real well

Prozac kept me awake at night.

Lately I can't sleep because I'm laying off the cheeba
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I normally can sleep like a baby, tonight I am climbing the walls, and I need to get up in the AM. I am going to try and read, that usually does the trick. A walk in the cold air always helps me sleep well...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:29:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Yet another night of one eye open sleep. This is getting very frustrating!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top