Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 10:39:19 AM EDT
Glad hes ok - sorta - hope he learned a lesson.

And what gun doesnt have a safety? Silly man

www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/13588518.htm

Security guard shoots himself accidentally
Police say his story of a gunman who fled didn't add up
REBECCA BLUE and LAURA FIGUEROA
Herald Staff Writers

LAKEWOOD RANCH - A security guard patrolling a new shopping and entertainment district in a pickup accidentally shot himself in the left thigh.

But some confusion over what happened Monday initially had deputies looking for a gunman who fled the scene in another truck.

"The original call was that a white male in his 40s driving a silver Nissan Frontier shot him," Sgt. Larry Andress with the Manatee County Sheriff's Office said.

Sheriff's officials identified the security guard as Paul Joseph Golding, 21, of Sarasota, employed by Shield Security.

He was patrolling Lakewood Ranch's Main Street just before noon, when emergency officials received a call from a restaurant employee that Golding had been shot.

Main Street recently opened its doors and only a handful of businesses are open at this time.

Golding parked his truck in front of the yet-to-be-open Cafe Mediteraneo, then walked across the street to the Grey Flannel Gallery, a sports memorabilia store, and asked for help.

"He was walking just fine and it didn't seem like he was in a lot of pain," said store owner Howard Rosenkrantz.

Neither Rosenkrantz nor several workers in front of the yet-to-open McAllister's Deli next door said they heard a gun shot.

Golding "was moving his firearm from one side of his body to the other when it discharged," according to a news release.

Golding is a licensed security officer. The Florida Agricultural and Consumer Services Web site states administrative action is pending on his license. The Web site gives a March 10, 2007, expiration date and also lists a Bradenton mailing address for Golding. His driver's license has a Sarasota address.

Golding is not licensed to carry a firearm, according to the state Web site.

As of Monday evening, Golding was not being charged with any crime, according to Sheriff's Detective Bobby E. Lewis. Lewis did say it was possible Golding may be charged with giving false information or for possession of a firearm.

Mark Verhay, owner of Shield Security, was tight-lipped about the incident.

"It depends on the division of licensing and the results of the conducted investigation," Verhay said.

Golding has worked for the company for six months, Verhay said.

One bullet from a black, semi-automatic gun was located on the brick sidewalk about 25 feet from Golding's silver Nissan pickup truck, owned by Shields Security. A bullet hole was located halfway down the driver's door. The bullet exited a couple of inches below the interior door lock.

The gun did not have a safety, according to Lewis.

Officials questioned Golding's initial story because of the bullet hole's location.

"It looks like the shooting came from the inside of the vehicle," said Andress as he inspected the vehicle. "Stuff is really not adding up."

Golding was treated for non-life threatening injuries and released from the Lakewood Ranch Medical Center, according to the center's patient information personnel.

Rob Pack, of Floor Solutions, was working at Sunglass Express when he heard the gunshot.

"It was just before noon and there wasn't any commotion and no one else was around," Pack said.

Lakewood Ranch resident Angie Heuser was shopping with her two sons, Colby, 3, and Peyton, 18 months, when she stumbled upon the crime scene tape. The shooting had not yet been ruled accidental.

"It doesn't seem like something that would happen here, at least I hope it wouldn't," Heuser said.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Glad hes ok - sorta - hope he learned a lesson.

www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/13588518.htm

Security guard shoots himself accidentally
Police say his story of a gunman who fled didn't add up
REBECCA BLUE and LAURA FIGUEROA
Herald Staff Writers

One bullet from a black, semi-automatic gun was located on the brick sidewalk about 25 feet from Golding's silver Nissan pickup truck, owned by Shields Security. A bullet hole was located halfway down the driver's door. The bullet exited a couple of inches below the interior door lock.

The gun did not have a safety, according to Lewis.

They can look at a bullet and tell it came from a black gun?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I bet it was Glock fortey.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Glock or a Hi-point.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#5]
OMFG, NO SAFETY!!!!!!!!

the world is going to end
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
"only I am professional enough to have thi Glock".....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#7]
No safety? The only safety I see missing in this story is a lump of gray matter that should have been between this guy's ears...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"only I am professional enough to have thi Glock".....

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Its idiots like him that give Security professionals a bad name
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I can relate to this guy, even though it sounds like he was playing around when he shot himself.  I was required to carry my M9 in condition 1 (round in chamber) and while getting in and out of my vic the safty would inevitablly be switched to fire.  Honestlly I did not feel safe carrying a weapon on my thigh wiith the safty coming off and being extremly tired after my shift.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Lakewood Ranch resident Angie Heuser was shopping with her two sons, Colby, 3, and Peyton, 18 months, when she stumbled upon the crime scene tape. The shooting had not yet been ruled accidental.

And just how in the hell was Ms Angie Heuser involved in this situation?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
"shopping with her sons" at the newly opened shopping center when the reporter was there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My S&W SW99 doesnt have a safety. And my friends Ruger .45 doesnt have one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My S&W SW99 doesnt have a safety. And my friends Ruger .45 doesnt have one.

Neither does my SIG 226.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Black semiautomatic gun, eh?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#16]
What's his screen name?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#17]
How Embarrasing...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]
How was he able to shoot himself? I thought all Glocks KB'ed?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I cant find the safety on my Sig P239.......

I guess I can just carry it with an empty mag  and chamber so it will be safer....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top