Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 10:25:58 AM EDT
Had a great day.....

Sometimes half the fun is getting there, and back out.....

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Dinner time! Looks good .
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]
A dozen fishies!

Your son did good
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I love ice fishing!  Heck, I love any kind of fishing.

Good job there!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Too cool!  I would love to try it, but alas....see my location.

How thick does ice have to be to hold an average size male adult??

I don't like it if there is less than 6in of ice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Very cool pics...it's great to see dad's with their little guys teaching them the finer things of life!

HH
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#8]
those pics are painful to see as I'm stuck in the cube farm
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I go fishing all the time, except in winter. I've never been ice fishing. I wouldn't know the first thing about it. I REALLY want to take it up, though. Any tips? Equipment, setup, rules (I can't imagine it's different in winter), bait, etc?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I go fishing all the time, except in winter. I've never been ice fishing. I wouldn't know the first thing about it. I REALLY want to take it up, though. Any tips? Equipment, setup, rules (I can't imagine it's different in winter), bait, etc?

I'm really not that experenced in it either, we went with a friend.  I know it's handier to use a real short rod, almost like a kids rod.  Heck, I could hardly keep a rod in the water as fast as he was catching them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm really not that experenced in it either, we went with a friend.  I know it's handier to use a real short rod, almost like a kids rod.  Heck, I could hardly keep a rod in the water as fast as he was catching them.

How deep? How much line did you let out? Sliding sinker w/ leader on a swivel? How did you punch a hole in the ice? Details man!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[Heck, I could hardly keep a rod in the water as fast as he was catching them.

How long did it take to catch that many?

We had our limit (12) my friend and I, as Coles catch has to be included in mine, in about 40min.
Catch and release the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm paranoid so I use a minmum of 4"
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Great pics.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How deep? How much line did you let out? Sliding sinker w/ leader on a swivel? How did you punch a hole in the ice? Details man!

Ice auger to punch hole in ice, worms with a salmon egg on tip of hook, split shot,  was fishing in about 15 ft of water, let it hit bottom and reel up about 2ft.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

minimum stuff:
first off, never go ice fishing alone. Safety reasons
Auger for drilling in the ice. gas or hand powered.
I like using minnows, leeches and waxies for bait
A very short rod and line that dosen't get stiff in the cold. I use spider wire with great results. You don't need a reel
cold weather clothing of course and boots. I use the yakTraxx to avoid slipping on the ice.
Something to sit on
otherwise the rest is standard equipment like booze. lots of it. I won't kid you it can get very boring.
depth depends on what your going after around here
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#18]
It is heartwarming to see that your son hasn't let handlessness keep him from living a full life. Are those cut throat, rainbow,  or steel head trout? Also, do you still need a lisence in order to ice fish?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

minimum stuff:
A very short rod and line that dosen't get stiff in the cold. I use spider wire with great results.
cold weather clothing of course and boots. I use the yakTraxx to avoid slipping on the ice.
Something to sit on
otherwise the rest is standard equipment like booze. lots of it. I won't kid you it can get very boring.

Good stuff! Is there a way to determine whether the ice is thick enough, before you walk out onto a frozen lake and drill a hole through it? Perhaps a minimum temperature over a specified period of time or something? Remember - you're talking to a guy who lived in California a year ago.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It is heartwarming to see that your son hasn't let handlessness keep him from living a full life. Are those cut throat, rainbow,  or steel head trout? Also, do you still need a lisence in order to ice fish?

Yea, he gets along pretty good without them, has a hell of a time picking his nose though.  

Rainbows, and yes you just need a regular fishing license.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

minimum stuff:
A very short rod and line that doesn't get stiff in the cold. I use spider wire with great results.
Something to sit on

Good stuff! Is there a way to determine whether the ice is thick enough, before you walk out onto a frozen lake and drill a hole through it? Perhaps a minimum temperature over a specified period of time or something? Remember - you're talking to a guy who lived in California a year ago.

I typically talk to the local tackle shops for a guage but you can just fish were there are others. (In MN you can sometimes have a hard time finding a spot that isn't crowded)
You can also got out and do some test holes to get an idea of how deep it is, A pain in the ass.
Temps have been varying so much in my area that it's kind of hard to tell but in Southern MN people won't hit the ice till around December but that is no guarantee. It's been pretty warm around here for January
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

isn't he wearing gloves in the first pic?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

4 inches.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4 inches.

images.dnr.state.mn.us/faq/icethic.gif

Thanks for the info, I didn't know for sure either.  I just didn't go out until I had seen that someone else had been out, and that it hadn't warmed up for a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top