Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 9:57:14 AM EDT
Littoral Combat Ship Mission Package Integration Contract Awarded to Northrop Grumman  
(Source: US Navy; issued Jan. 9, 2006)

WASHINGTON --- The Navy has awarded a 10-year, cost plus award fee/award term contract with a potential dollar figure of $159 million to Northrop Grumman Systems Corp., Bethpage, N.Y. Jan. 4, for the mission package integrator (MPI) for the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) Mission Modules program, strengthening the production team that will deliver the first mission packages in Fiscal Year (FY) '07. The FY '06 portion of the contract award is $4,477,824.  

The integrator's role is to work closely with the government's Mission Package Integration Laboratory at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Panama City, Fla., to produce and deliver capabilities according to the technical architectures developed by the LCS Mission Modules Program Office (PMS 420).  

"The MPI contract is a significant step forward in our effort to deliver modular, plug-and-fight capability for the fleet," said Capt. Walt Wright, Mission Modules Program manager. "Together with industry we will produce integrated packages of mission systems-for Mine Warfare (MIW), Anti-submarine Warfare (ASW) and Surface Warfare (SUW)-that will go to sea aboard LCS."  

The Navy has defined the role of the mission package integrator as a system-engineering partner responsible for bringing the systems and technologies of the mission modules together under the integration and interface requirements established by PMS 420 and the LCS program office. The integrator also will act as a conduit for technology to be harnessed and incorporated into the LCS's seaframe and mission module architectures.  

PMS 420 packages a variety of technologies, many of which are produced by other program offices and delivered as elements of a particular mission module.  

"We are bringing together the best available technologies from a variety of programs to meet the focused mission requirements of the LCS program," Wright noted.  

For example, the MIW module brings together several systems developed by the Mine Warfare program office (PMS 495). The MIW module includes the AN/WLD-1 Remote Minehunting System; the AN/AQS-20A Sonar Mine Detecting Set; the Organic Airborne Surface Influence Sweep; the Airborne Laser Mine Detection System; and the Airborne Mine Neutralization System, among other systems.  

At the heart of the ASW module is the Advanced Deployable System (ADS), which is developed by the Maritime Surveillance Systems program office (PMS 485). The ADS is a bottom array that may be deployed from LCS at high speed, providing high-quality acoustic surveillance data. Additionally, the ASW module includes acoustic sensors such as a multifunction towed array, and a remote towed active source, along with other detection systems and weapons designed for use aboard the MH-60R helicopter and unmanned surface vessels.  

The SUW module includes weapons such as a 30mm cannon (the same as is used in the Mine Warfare program offices Rapid Airborne Mine Clearance System, and the U.S. Marine Corps' Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle), and a version of the U.S. Army's Non-Line of Sight - Precision Attack Munition missile system.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
evening bump
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's review. We have the following companies involved in LCS:
Nothrup Grumman
Lockheed
General Dynamics

Where's Boeing?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
How many of these things does the navy want....provide the concept works to most of its advertising?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How many of these things does the navy want....provide the concept works to most of its advertising?

55 is the last I heard. Almost as many LCSs as we'll have DDGs.

Since we are buying two designs initially, chances are one will work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nothrup Grumman
Lockheed
General Dynamics

Where's Boeing?

Seattle..

BTW..you forgot to list Raytheon. (They make the AN/AQS-20 Sonar Mine Hunter)

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

55 is the last I heard. Almost as many LCSs as we'll have DDGs.

Since we are buying two designs initially, chances are one will work.

As long as you can find the spares for the Packup Kits..

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nothrup Grumman
Lockheed
General Dynamics

Where's Boeing?

Seattle..

Nope didn't forget. Concentrating on the big boys. Notice I also didn't list Bofors, EADs, et al.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Is there going to be a C version?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:56:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nothrup Grumman
Lockheed
General Dynamics

Where's Boeing?

Seattle Chicago..

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#10]
  bin laden, dont surf.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:11:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
  bin laden, dont surf.

CHINA does, zipperhead.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top