Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 5:39:24 PM EDT
Well, looking to install a new heating air unit in our house. Need to decide whether or not the extra electronic air cleaner for our system is worth it or not. My wife does suffer from allergies, but wonder how well this will ACTUALLY work to help with her symptoms. If alot, then the $995 price tag would be worth it. But if they are more hype, or don't help with allergens, than I'm not so sure.

BTW, looking at a Trane unit. Guessing the air cleaner would be a Trane as well?

Thoughts input appreciated, and need help fast. Need to install within the next few days.

TIA.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Honeywell. Don't know if it specific to them or that type of unit in general, but it doesn't seem to collect as much dirt as the standard type filters we had with the previous furnace.
I don't  think I sneeze any less now in the Spring than I did before.
FWIW
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of them work quite well. But you have to have the furnace blower running for them to work. Hence, in the spring and fall when allergens are high but the A/C and heat are not on  they are worthless unless one remembers to keep the windows closed and the thermostat set on ON not auto. Humidifiers on the other hand are a complete waste of money if you live in an area with a high solid content in the water, IE rust, calcium or lime. They will constantly give you problems.  If you have good water or a good softener they might work better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have to run the fan constantly to keep air circulating for the system to work, you may be just as well off with the 3M allergy HEPA filters.  I use them and they do work.  +/- $8 each, change them once a month.  The blue wrapped ones filter down to .3 microns I think it is?

That is the route I would take.  And get a stand alone HEPA filter for your bedroom.  She will get up feeling much better than usual and will love you for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top