Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 5:05:16 PM EDT
Sunday was one of the most siginificant days of my life, I saw the King Tut exhibit in Ft. Lauderdale and it was truly a profound experience.

Sadly no cameras were permitted.

I'm sure this isn't quite like seeing the Pyramids, but I won't be travelling to Egypt anytime soon. But what I did see put my entire existence into perspective. It is nothing short of amazing to see objects from one of man's first civilizations. The intricate detail and hand craftmanship of examples over 3,000 years old was stunning.

Growing up and studying history I had always viewed the people of "former times" as much less sophisticated and ancient in their ways. The exhibit brought home the fact that in many ways we are very much the "same people" over 3,000 years later. In an instanst, my life ws put into perspective and I was able to see the grand scheme of things much clearer in the context of humanity as a whole for 5,000 years.

And the empire created in Egypt over 5,000 years ago is almost incomperhensible. By the time of King Tut's reign the pyramids were already over 1,000 years old. He was born into a dynastic country that had existed for 2,000 years. Incredible when contrasted with our own country which is barely more than 200 years old but seems ancient to us.

It staggers the mind to see things like a simple chair that has survived intact for 3,000 years. And objects like leather dog collars remind one that they were very much like us and one could imagine a 12 year old boy king chasing his beloved dog in the same manner as any American boy from the 1950s or today.

The monuments and statues were nothing short of amazing. Their devotion to their religion, and the nature of their beliefs, put ones own life into perspective like nothing else I have encountered.

I was especially fortunate to take my 85 year old grandmother to the exhibit, she had never seen such things. The ticket prices paid (which some will find high) were paltry compared to the experience received and the opportunity to share it with my family.

I am still in awe by the simplest of objects. Words really can't describe them.

One day I will see the pyramids, and I will be further humbled and enlightened.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
We stood in line back in the 70's? but I believe we left because there was a 4+ hour line...  I was probably complaining about standing in line...  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the exhibit moving to any other US locations?

Looking for website...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone I know mentioned that what you've seen is just a small part of Tut's treasures.  Their son saw the rest in Egypt.

Yep, the more I think of it the more it sounds like a good thing to do.  Go to Egypt that is,  and see it all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is the exhibit moving to any other US locations?

Looking for website...

"King Tut" Treasure to Return to U.S. in 2005

Stops will include the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Florida's Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art, and the Field Museum of Chicago.

The US King Tut Exhibit Tour
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Someone I know mentioned that what you've seen is just a small part of Tut's treasures.  Their son saw the rest in Egypt.

Yep, the more I think of it the more it sounds like a good thing to do.  Go to Egypt that is,  and see it all.

Many pieces that were here in the 1970s are not in this tour (most notably the gold funerary mask) and many peices are simply too delicate to travel. But what is seen and on tour is very impressive and this is likely the LAST time they will ever go on tour.

The money raised by the current tour is being used to fund a larger Cairo museum which will be the permanent home to all the artifacts. If you aren't going to be in Egypt in the near future you will want to take advantage of this opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We stood in line back in the 70's? but I believe we left because there was a 4+ hour line...  I was probably complaining about standing in line...  

I waited about an hour in line to enter on a sold out day.

People were admitted in groups of approx. 50. I spent about 4 hours in the museum looking at artifacts. Got crowded everytime another group went through. I basically hung back, let the crowd move past and then took a closer look at the most interesting things.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd love to go to Egypt to see the pyramids.

And to Rome to see...Rome.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I used Google Earth to find the pyramids, and I was absolutely shocked to find that they are within a stone's throw of the dense city.

I always thought they were way the heck out in the desert.  Either I was wrong, or the desert shrank, or the city grew, or some combination of the above.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#10]
"Most profound days of my life. . . .??"

C'mon-give me a break.

The most profound day of my life was when I met Greg Boyington at the Rio Grande Valley Airport in Texas.    
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Mmmmmm

Mummy Jerky.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I used Google Earth to find the pyramids, and I was absolutely shocked to find that they are within a stone's throw of the dense city.

I always thought they were way the heck out in the desert.  Either I was wrong, or the desert shrank, or the city grew, or some combination of the above.

Jim

You've probably never been to the Alamo either then huh?
Same thing. But Still cool as hell!

I aint goin' no where near thos big triangles, not till we (Americans)  are safe to do so!
One day, one day!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread is worthless without hieroglyphs

[
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought Nicholas Cage found all the king tut stuff in National Treasure.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

[

Rode the camel out there and took this pic myself. Great trip, did it a couple of years ago. Stayed near a month. I'd go back tomorrow.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Jim

Old Egyptians cities, like new ones, depend upon their proximity to the Nile.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Chicago in May. Yessssss!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Kabump.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Phoenix, Arizona,
Condos made of stone-ah,
King Tut
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw the exhibit in Berlin back in the 80s.  I'm hoping to take my boys to see it when it hits Chicago.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Good grief! Has it been 30 years, already?

I would love to see the exhibit.

But it looks like Chicago is the closest place and I just don't see that happening.

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44384

So did you get an urge to pillage and plunder like some many thousands of generations of warrior before you?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#24]
You should see the pyramids, even better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44384

So did you get an urge to pillage and plunder like some many thousands of generations of warrior before you?

I had an urge to tell them to clean up their trash. I had an urge to take more Cipro and immodium. I had an urge to tell the jackholes who kept trying to get me to pay them to stand in the picture to fuck off. I had an urge to tell them not to rest on their 5000 year old architecture and to accomplish something in the modern fucking age.

But that was just me.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Steve Martin: I'd like to talk seriously just for a moment. One of the great art exhibitions ever to tour the United States is the Treasures of Tutankhamen - or King Tut. But I think it's a national disgrace the way we have commercialized it with trinkets and toys, T-shirts and posters. And three months ago I was up in the woods, and I wrote a song. I tried to use the ancient modalities and melodies. I'd like to do it for you right now. Maybe we can all learn something.

(King Tut. King Tut.)
Now when he was a young man, he never thought he'd see
People stand in line to see the boy king.

(King Tut)
How'd you get so funky?
(Funky Tut)
Did you do the monkey?
(Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia
King Tut)

Now if I'd known they'd line up just to see him
I'd have taken all my money and bought me a museum.

(King Tut)
Buried with a donkey.
(King Tut)
He's my favorite honky
King Tut)

(Tut! Tut!)
Dancing by the Nile!
(Disco Tut! Tut!)
The ladies love his style!
(Boss Tut! Tut!)
Walkin' for a mile.
(Rockin' Tut! Tut!)
He ate a crocodile.
(Oooooh, wah-ooooh)
He gave his life for tourism.

[ saxophonist pop out of crypt for a solo ]

Steve Martin: [ places electric blender at saxophonist's feet ] Golden Idols! He's an Egyptian!

Steve Martin:
Now when I die, now don't think I'm a nut
Don't want no fancy funeral, just one like old King Tut!
(King Tut)
He could have won a Grammy.
(King Tut)
Buried in his jammies.
Born in Arizona)

Got a condo made o' stone-a
(King Tut)

SNL Transcripts
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Yo Steyr,
I saw the whole exhibit while visiting Egypt in 1982 at the Cairo Museum of Antiquities.  The full size version takes up the entire mezzanine.  I gotta agree with you, it's fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yo Steyr,
I saw the whole exhibit while visiting Egypt in 1982 at the Cairo Museum of Antiquities.  The full size version takes up the entire mezzanine.  I gotta agree with you, it's fantastic.

One day I'll see it in Egypt. Just won't be soon.

I'd like to actually visit the Vallley of the Kings as well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[

i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/vcblick1/MVC-061S.jpg
Rode the camel out there and took this pic myself. Great trip, did it a couple of years ago. Stayed near a month. I'd go back tomorrow.

+1

I got to see the King Tut display while it was still in Egypt. I rode around the pyramids on a camel. Egypt was a cool place to visit, but since I was there 1 month before 9/11, I just made it before it got too dangerous to go to the sand box. The Pyramids really are right next to the city. The urban sprawl of crappy homes have edged their way up to them over the years.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I saw it as a teenager in Chicago years ago. It is indeed stunning and not to be missed if even given half a chance.

Bob
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I actually saw the Treasures of Tutankhamun, about 5 times while it was in New Orleans on the 1976-1979 Tour, while I was in law school.

Very nice, indeed.

Eric The(Impressed)Hun
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Excellent write up, i can't wait. I'm going this weekend with my wife.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
i saw it last year. Found out AFTER i paid 20.00 to get in it was not authentic peices but reproductions of items found in the tomb. Very well done but to say the least i was a bit pissed when i found out they were reproductions and were even selling the same items in the gift shop after the exhibit.

i pay twice that easily to see the originals. Would not pay it to see copies again.

Nope these are the real things, saw it at the LA stop.  And yeah the crowds are something, hanging back and taking your time is the way to go.

Some of the jeweled headpieces are unbelievable.  And yeah just the idea that some of the objects are 5000 years old and they came from a country over a 1000 years old at the time boggles the mind.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i saw it last year. Found out AFTER i paid 20.00 to get in it was not authentic peices but reproductions of items found in the tomb. Very well done but to say the least i was a bit pissed when i found out they were reproductions and were even selling the same items in the gift shop after the exhibit.

i pay twice that easily to see the originals. Would not pay it to see copies again.

Nope these are the real things, saw it at the LA stop.  And yeah the crowds are something, hanging back and taking your time is the way to go.

Some of the jeweled headpieces are unbelievable. And yeah just the idea that some of the objects are 5000 years old and they came from a country over a 1000 years old at the time boggles the mind.  

Objects are over 3,000 years old and Egyptian civilization started over 5,000 years ago.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top