Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 4:19:09 PM EDT
I love him but he is so irresponsible I cannot take it anymore.  Long story short..  I split with my wife about a year and a half ago.  Literally walked out with my belongings and $35 no real job.  He said i was welcome to stay with him at his apt as long as I needed and didnt expect anything until I was on my feet.  So after a year or so I am doing okay I guess and my brother has fucked away his money, credit, etc.  I split the rent with him when I am finally able and he blows all of it and ends up with civil judgements galore.  Well the apt complex had enough and decided that they would not renew his lease.  So I am out looking for my own place and now little brother needs a place so he can room with me.  Well getting him on a lease is proving difficult.  He has no money to split the difference for application costs, etc.  I am seriously thinking about hanging him out.  I want to buy a house and this whole fiasco is hindering everything.  First I am being forced to accept a less favorable apt because the one that i applied for, and was offered, will not accept his lousy credit.  

Then he is messy, smokes like a chimney, and I has serious doubts that he will hold up his end of the deal..
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel your pain.  My brother picked a feud with MY neighbors.  While he was drunk, natch.

"Dude, I was helping you out!  You complain about your neighbors all the time but never do anything.  I took a stand for you!"

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're on your feet now, help him (a little financially) get his own place.  If he bothers you, don't continue living with him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Sack-up, get on with your life.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
He litterally has no place to go and I do feel indebted to him, but I do feel at fault for his finacial woes.  I know that he figured I would be his fall back when he fucked away all his finances.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
He stood by you when you had 35 bucks and no job. He is your brother for life. Fucking up his credit and whatever is between him and the people he owes money to. Get a place on your own and then allow him to stay with you, if he doesn't carry his weight give him the heave ho.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#6]
uh, sounds like you kind of owe him a hand....am I reading this wrong?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
he may have felt your divorce issues were your fault, but he helped you anyway. even if you didnt owe him for that BIG favor, he is family. period.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I never said I was gonna let him hang, I just feel like I could..  Yes, he's my little brother.  But Dman, he makes more money than I!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
sounds like you know exactly what to do, but dont want to do it. you should let him stay. tell him the things you dont like and tell him he will have to compromise. smoke outside etc. tell him you are planning on moving up in house shortly but until then he can stay with you. i am not saying you have to be Jesus, but you owe him a hand.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]
oh, if you want to vent to us about what a fuck-off he is feel free. I can only assume alot of us have complaints about family that if we voiced them would cause civil unrest within the clan.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd give him a break, especially since he helped you when you needed it.

BUT - I'd have a big, serious talk covering all aspects of why he's acting like a dumbass. Then set boundaries and expectations for him living with you. Outline the ramifications of not living up to them.

Then if you give him a break and he still acts like a dumbass, then you can kick him out without feeling guilty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top