Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 1:55:23 PM EDT
while hunting this past weekend I shot two sandhills.  I have never had any experience at cooking them,however I trust that the arfcom will provide a good recipe.  By the way I breasted them so, that is what I have to work with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't shooting cranes illegal?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]

I shot two sandhills

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]

And yes, shooting cranes is illegal, hence my laughter. I think this is a farce post.

I call SHENS! Pics of the cranes!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#4]
No you can shoot cranes here in New Mexico.  I shot a few about 15 years ago.  I cooked mine with heat from the oven and I was not real impressed.  Find a recipe for cooking geese or ducks and use that.  Use lots of gravy or some sort to cover up the taste and help with the dryness.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Isn't shooting cranes illegal?

No Sandhill are perfectly legal in Texas in my zone the limit is two.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

And yes, shooting cranes is illegal, hence my laughter. I think this is a farce post.

I call SHENS! Pics of the cranes!

The camera is in the truck but my computer is fucked for down loading the pics from the camera.

Boys I didn't shoot no whooping crane,  SANDHILL crane.  I was pass shooting and the bluebird weather kept the geese high so I killed the cranes WTF.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
i like a little spotted owl meat with the crane meat and lay a slabe of babby seal fat on top and bake at 450 deg.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Now we are getting somewhere.  I want to make it into gumbo, but before I spend all day cooking gumbo I had hoped to hear the experience of others in such an endeavor.  I know they are stronger than duck, and look to be darker and stronger than goose.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Pat the breasts down with flour and spices of your choice. Sear in a pan with olive oil. Put in a crock pot with a can of beer and some water, simmer for a couple of hours, add potatos, celery, carrots, onion and whatever turns your crank. Cook until veggies are tender.  Use the leftover liquid to make a gravy to pour over everything.

YUMMMMMMMM! This recipe also works well with swan. With older birds you may want to extend the simmering time an hour or so.

ETA- the cranes and swans I have tried have been milder than duck or goose.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Brown slices in olive oil then put in pan at 350 degrees F.  Cover in cream of mushroom soup, onions, celery, carrots and turnip wedges, salt and pepper to taste. Bake for one to one and a half hours covered. Serve slices over rice or noodles.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Both of these look good, Ragnaroc, your recipe is like when we cook crown roast except with the gravy twist at the end. It is interesting that you found crane to be milder than duck and goose, an old timer that I ran into today said the same thing but he mostly sliced it like backstrap, fairly thin and floured it like chicken fried steak.

Jp  I have used a recipe similar to this for pheasant in the past.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Sandhills are legal in Texas, North Dakota, and several other states.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Baste lightly in an 350* oven for 25 min.  Then toss it out in the back yard for the cats.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
while hunting this past weekend I shot two sandhills.  I have never had any experience at cooking them,however I trust that the arfcom will provide a good recipe.  By the way I breasted them so, that is what I have to work with.

I hear they are good with Manatee burgers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear they are good with Manatee burgers.

That's why they're called Sea Cows!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Baste lightly in an 350* oven for 25 min.  Then toss it out in the back yard for the cats.

That pretty much sums up my one and only try at eating Sandhill Crane.  It had very strong and unpleasant flavor.  No one in my family was able to eat more than one bite of the damned thing.

I haven't hunted them since.  Better luck to you!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Pat the breasts down with flour and spices of your choice. Sear in a pan with olive oil.

I tried that with my last girlfriend.  She left me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]
A friend of mine goes to Montana to shoot a Swan every year (Draw Tag)
He always roasts it like a goose. I would suggest the same for crane.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Sandhill cranes are a protected species in Washington, kinda like liberals.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:09:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have heard another recipe like this for geese and duck it goes like this.

Take goose and marinate in redwine overnight.
Stuff with onion and celery and butter.
Lay goose on a 2 by 12 of cedar.
Cook at 325 and baste with herbs and wine till the legs will turn easily.
Take goose on board outside and throw goose to the cats.
Return to the dining room and eat 2 by 12.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top