Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 9:00:25 AM EDT
My personal favorite is MissSiagon.  You cant go wrong with a show with M16s and Hueys.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always been partial to hail marys and HB draws
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw Chicago on Broadway about a year and a half ago...Long-legged female convicts in heels and hose dancing their asses off.. Paige Davis had the lead role
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The Crucible is my favorite drama.
The Scarlet Pimpernel and Guys and Dolls are my favorite musicals. And I hate musicals: I can't sing for crap.
Comedy...grrr...that's harder. I've seen and done many good ones, so I guess it'll be "Moon over Buffalo."
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#4]
HAven't gotten to see any yet..  

Soundtracks OTOH,  I enjoy em all l
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Play rhymes with Ghey. Coincidence? I don't think so!
Seriously, I always thought Hamlet was kind of cool, depending on who did the play.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife loves theatre so I have seen quite a few. Even though I never love the idea of going I always enjoy them when I am there.

My favorite would have to be Proof , We saw it at the Operahouse when we were in Sydney and it was Great!! Have not seen the movie version of it yet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Les Miserables bar none, hands down, etc etc.

It may be about the frenchies but you will not find another play that has as many good songs that actually mean something.  Back to back to back awesome songs one after another.

"When the beating of your heart echo's the beating of the drums, there is a life about to start when tomorrow comes".

It's about fighting to the death for what you believe in, something everyone here talks about every day.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It may be about the frenchies but you will not find another play that has as many good songs that actually mean something.  Back to back to back awesome songs one after another.

"When the beating of your heart echo's the beating of the drums, there is a life about to start when tomorrow comes".

It's about fighting to the death for what you believe in, something everyone here talks about every day.

Right!!

Plus its about one of the only wars they ever won
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#9]
i kinda liked "othello" with patrick stewart playing a merc othello in an otherwise all black cast.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Without a doubt my favorite.  I've seen it four times on stage.

Others I really like:

Miss Saigon
The Producers
Rent
Man of La Mancha

My family is taking a trip to NYC soon, and we'll be seeing The Phantom of the Opera and Wicked, plus one or two others that I can't remember right now.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#11]
"Arms and the Man"  George Bernard Shaw
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#12]
King Lear, best work of drama ever.

The film version set in medieval Japan "Ran" was pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#13]

I only really like two types (and even those I don't LOVE or anything, but if I had to see a play, it better be in one of the following categories):

Sheakepearean tragedies (Hamlet, McBeth, King Lear, etc)

Existentialist (Rhinocerous, Waiting for Godot, The Meteor, etc. )
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I love musicals (no , just good taste ), especially R&H and other "classics."

One of our local colleges has a very good dinner theater (good shows and good food), every other show they do is a musical, and "Mrs. HardShell" and I go as often as we can.

My very favorite has to be Oklahoma!  Our first date was to a local production of that show (a good friend was playing "Judd Frye" ), so it has a special place in our hearts.  We even used some of the instrumentals in our wedding (People Will Say We're in Love during the candle-lighting, for example), but I doubt anybody else noticed.

My favorite non-musical play is probably Noises Off!  I saw it in London 20 years ago and it still cracks me up whenever I see it done.  Charley's Aunt would be a close second.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]
The Producers was one of the funniest things I've ever seen....

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Miss Saigon is a musical, not  a play.  All musicals suck.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#17]
We saw Proof out here in CA and it was pretty good time.  Definitely a must see.

Have seen a lot of Shakespeare over the years, and they have always been good.  Saw David Ogden Stiers as Lear in King Lear on the outdoor stage in San Diego and it was great.

Saw Cyrano recently and it was great.   Any play that was fun and rousing throughout, and yet reduces almost the entire audience to tears at the end.  I think every member here would enjoy the hell out of this play and even the manly mans here that say they haven't cried since they were kids would tear up and enjoy it.(I had a sword from one of the fights land at our feet.  Ma made me slide it back and not toss it to the guy that lost it.)

Kiss Me Kate is fun.

Brush up your Shakespeare,
Start quoting him now.
Brush up your Shakespeare
And the women you will wow.
Just declaim a few lines from "Othella"
And they think you're a helluva fella.
If your blonde won't respond when you flatter 'er
Tell her what Tony told Cleopaterer ,
If she fights when her clothes you are mussing,
What are clothes? "Much Ado About Nussing."
And they'll all kowtow.

With the wife of the British embessida
Try a crack out of "Troilus and Cressida,"
If she says she won't buy it or tike it
Make her tike it, what's more, "As You Like It."
If she says your behavior is heinous
Kick her right in the "Coriolanus."
And they'll all kowtow,
And they'll all kowtow,
And they'll all kowtow.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Hamlet, you always discover something new about the characters and the story every time you watch it.

Saucy Jack and the Space Vixens was pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#19]
NONE!  My Mom tried to "culture" me by taking me to a few when I was young.  Miss Siagon, The King and I with Yul Brynner, Hair...  All at the Kennedy Center in D.C.  I went to see Miss Siagon with her shortly after turning 21.  I tried to get tanked just to make the rest of the show interesting.  Bottom line... Plays suck.  I'd rather go to a Hockey game, but, I guess I'm just a low brow moron.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Waiting for Godot

by Samuel Beckett

I'm kind of a minimalist
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Play, musical, they are all the same to me.  The only people that make that kind of distinction are women.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#22]
+1 on King Lear
A Man for All Seasons
Scapino
A Little Night Music
Streamers
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Play, musical, they are all the same to me.  The only people that make that kind of distinction are women.

Female...But I made the distinction as an actor who cannot SING!!!!!

I have a Kathleen Turner "had too many shots of whiskey" kinda voice. It has never appeared in a musical...but several dramas, comedies and other genres I shall not list for fear that you people may think me soft and sweet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#24]
The Rodney King Beating was good...oh wait...never mind.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#25]

The only people that make that kind of distinction are women.

Or us good ol AR totin' pickup driving guys who just happen to have a bachelor's degree in theater performance and another in technical theater.  Jackass....

Anyway, favorite of all time is Thyestes.  No one did blood and gore like the ancient Greeks.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Or us good ol AR totin' pickup driving guys who just happen to have a bachelor's degree in theater performance and another in technical theater.  Jackass....

Anyway, favorite of all time is Thyestes.  No one did blood and gore like the ancient Greeks.  

I have some Mcfries with my order please.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Did I hit a sore nerve in that limp wrist of yours?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am sure he can get a job on that metrosexual channel.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The Producers was one of the funniest things I've ever seen....

No doubt!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Shalespeare, my personal favorite I've actually seen rather than simply read or seen on video was The Twelfth Night.

Olivier did a fantastic Lear on a BBC presentation that is avaiable on video.

Play=ghey?  Ever read/see Glengarry Glennross?  It's the most violent thing I've ever witnessed that didn't involve physical damage.

"Put the coffee down."      
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Spamalot was hysterical...there was also
The Great American Trailer Park Musical. That was even funnier.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, here of all places I never thought I'd be ridiculed and called out as a gay because I enjoy theater.   I'm not gay.  I'm married with children, a small business owner.  That was pretty fuckin rude guys.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Death of a Salesman, Arthur Miller, performed at the Power Center, University of Michigan...

go blue...

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, here of all places I never thought I'd be ridiculed and called out as a gay because I enjoy theater.   I'm not gay.  I'm married with children, a small business owner.  That was pretty fuckin rude guys.  

Well Jackass, thats your word, you take a swing and someone is going to take a swing back at you.  But I guess in that theater world you can just go complain to the producer.

Talk about jackass.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now you sound more gay. Your skin needs more layers, my friend. Otherwise you won't make it with all the other thespian homos around here.

Oh.  Miss Saigon. Outstanding stuff. And pretty much any R&H stuff.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Otherwise you won't make it with all the other thespian homos around here.

Bahhaaaa!  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Otherwise you won't make it with all the other thespian homos around here.

Bahhaaaa!  

Man, this is too funny. Exit...stage left!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I have seen many plays/musicals, but don't remember most of them.

I know I've seen:
Cats
The King and I
Several versions of The Wizard of Oz
Annie (Done by the local homeschool performing arts crowd, it was excellent)

I did see a Much Ado About Nothing in a park when I was out in Colorado, it was pretty good, except the parts that I couldn't hear because of the trains going by no more than 200ft from where we were sitting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I saw one a couple years ago called the Arsenic and the Old Lace.

It was funny in a sic way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Dracula, circa ~1979, Frank Longella was the COUNT.

Oh, and Oedipus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top