BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 7:16:40 AM EDT
Google Earth menaced by WW2 bomber

www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/09/google_lancaster/

Veteran aircraft caught in flight over UK
By Lester Haines
Published Monday 9th January 2006 14:13 GMT
New year, new job? Click here for thousands of tech vacancies.

The results of our Google Earth black helicopter competition last year proved just how eagled-eyed you lot were when it came to virtual planespotting, but here's one you missed, and a real blast from the past it is too:

Zooming in, we have..

...yup, an Avro Lancaster flying over Stukeley Meadows, Huntingdon, England, as originally spotted it appears by a chap on Google Earth Community who lives just about right under the aircraft's position when Google Earth's satellite captured this snap.

The Lancaster in question is the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's "City of Lincoln." The image is at 52 20 10.87N 0 11 43.34W, or right here (Google Earth KMZ link). ®
Bootnote

Thanks to reader Marc Hockfield for the heads-up on this one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#1]
that is so cool, what are the odds!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#2]
That's fricking great!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
[cartman]Sweeeeet.....[/cartman]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool!

How do they get that kind of resolution? The places I have looked at just flat sucked. Cant make out squat. However these are rural areas.

Cool picture tho.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#5]
A while back I saw satellite shots of a couple U-2s in the pattern at an airfield in the desert.

Cool stuff.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Strategic targets always have the best resolutions.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#7]
That is really sweet. I'm going to have to try the Google earth thing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
There are so many cool things on google earth.  

Look for the U-2 landing at Beale AFB, CA.  

Look for the ghost fleets off Hampton Roads, VA and in San Francisco.  

The airport in Mojave, CA is pretty cool too.

I saw that Lancaster fly at an airshow in England about 10 years ago.  Great looking airplane.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I was looking at Wright Patterson AFB on Terra Server one time and you could see a C-141 taking off.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How do they get that kind of resolution?

The best American technology inside of Russian and French spy satellites of course.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Are there shots of Area 51 or are certain locations blacked out?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Over near St. Louis there is an AA plane in mid flight.  West of Lambert and a littel south.  It must be relativly high cause it is big.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top