Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:37:23 PM EDT
In order to get more power, what would happen if the catalytic converter "disappeared" off the truck?  More power, or does the engine need the "back pressure" to run correctly?  Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm, that would be illegal!!!
However, if the CC did magically "fall off" and you had a friend that would just weld some pipe in its place, it may help out some.  If you are really looking for power though, an engine swap would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]
ever heard of rodding the cat?  I am sure it is illegal, unless you use it for off-road use (isnt that interesting...)

eta: also, those kind of mods do not necessarily help with performance - you seee free flowing does not mean "wide open" (because it is high pressure/temperature pulses of gas, it needs to be matched to the outside conditions kinda like a transmission line in electronics)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Most likely wont be able to find someone to inspect it with no cats. If you really want the small hp gain get highflow cats.

ETA Or gut the cats like stated above.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
get a hi flow or gut it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
There are tons of aftermarket stainless steel catalytics available who advertise less restrictive models.

You could always bore out the inside of the cat and remount it.
Does your state have emissions testing? If not, you may be able to remove it.

I'm not sure about Toyo's, but I know a few guys who bore them out on their YJ's.
Backpressure shouldn't be a factor w/a catalytic as long as you have a complete leak-free exhaust from header/exhaust manifold to tailpipe.

I learned first hand what a totally clogged catalytic can do to your exhaust.

HS1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
No emissions testing here.

vmax84
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
then definitely gut it, or if you feel really environmentally conscious for some stupid reason you can buy one of the hi flow cats off of ebay, I have one on my off roader samurai and it works great, under $60 delivered if I remember right
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

vmax84

does not matter - it is a federal offense
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

vmax84

does not matter - it is a federal offense

So is falsifying a log book entry, but that hasn't stopped truckers in the last 40 years from doing it as often as possible.

*Signed log book pages are technically federal documents as soon as they are signed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine had a TOY truck in which the CAT was all clogged up - This was verified by installing a "Test Pipe".

Once the problem was known a replacement CAT was ordered - or back ordered - or failed to get scheduled as the Dealer was busy making money and not servicing Emissions equip under warranty.

The long and short of it was that he had better accel - better torque, and about 1.5 better MPG for nearly 2 years... until the unit was finally replaced.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#13]
www.lcengineering.com/ for all your Yota needs.   I love their clutches.  

Sold my toy though, oh the pains of growing up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top