Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 6:45:56 PM EDT
Good - Officer was polite.  Did not issue me a ticket, instead he gave me a warning for expired registration.  It was a very civil interaction.

Bad - Officer statements:  "The reason why I pulled you over is, did you know you have a tailight....er, I mean, your plates are expired."  (Me - "huh?") "Where are you coming from?" (ME - Milwaukee) "And what were you doing there?" (ME - having a meeting regarding a business venture).  "What route did you take to get here?"  (ME - Hell, I dunno!!!...looked at my buddy, who told the officer what roads we took....not my hood).   "OK, we are looking for a white four door.  That's why I stopped you, and I just got lucky.......You guys are older, you're lucky we aren't going to take apart your car".  

So the officer took my license and went back to run it, took him about 10-15 minutes.  He then brought it back with my warning and apologized for the wait.  I asked him why they were looking for a white sedan, he said one was involved in a robbery.  

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can stop every white sedan you see just because one was used in a crime, right?

While grateful for the warning (I had been driving a company car for two years, and recently switched jobs/gave back the company car, so the registration just escaped my notice), and the officer was polite, I thought the initial stop was fishing......at no time was he close enough to read my plate until he pulled me over.  It ws dark.  I had been following the guy, he was going 18-20 down a state route in a 25mph in the little podunk town we were in.  I followed about 4 car lengths behind so as to not allow him PC to stop me for following too closely (this is a favored trick around here, but I usually see it with WI State Troopers).  So he pulls over, allows me to pass, then as I am leaving the next stop sign, he shoots back out, follows me well out of town (staying back a few hundred feet), then pulls me over.  I maintained the speed limit at all times, and had no bad order equipment.  This isn't a pile of junk either, it's an Olds Alero four door, in good condition.

I didn't care much for the "lucky we aren't going to take your car apart" comment either.  But I am not dumb enough to cause an issue over it on the side of the road either.......  

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Fishing expedition indeed.  

If he had followed me that much, I would have just pulled into a convienience store and let him make his move.  Around here cops like to use your car as a hood ornament, and makes me all manner of nervous.  I just pull off on a side street or business.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You should have been around here during the sniper shootings...  If you were a white guy driving a white van, you were a huge target.  It is thought that Muhammad and Malvo drove through these road blocks in their blue Impala without several times without a problem.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]
praise the lord! that just prevented some serious crime
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Go clean the KY out of your ass!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Is your dog ok?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can stop every white sedan you see just because one was used in a crime, right?

Correct. You would need a more detailed description than "white sedan" to do aan investigative stop for suspician of robbery.

If you want to stop every whirte sedan on the road hoping to catch the robbers you need to find a lawfull reason, such as an equipment violtion, to stop the car.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Too many cops say that since driving is a privilege rather than a right, there's nothing wrong with what happened to you.  After all, you are only on the roads because the state is nice enough to allow you to use their roads.z
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct. You would need a more detailed description than "white sedan" to do aan investigative stop for suspician of robbery.

If you want to stop every whirte sedan on the road hoping to catch the robbers you need to find a lawfull reason, such as an equipment violtion, to stop the car.

good choice of words, very honest
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
  I have been stopped many times with the "you look like someone we're looking for..." line of bull. When I was a kid I had long hair and an attitude which never got me far. But one time, I was pulled over and had some "iffy things" in my car....a .22 cal. pellet gun, a 6" survival knife, and a 12" piece of wire, (I am an electrician). The cop called the wire a 'slap-stick'. I got arrested for suspended license, and expired plates, and they confiscated my "weapons".  I went to court and showed my license and insurance, so that got thrown out. I got my "weapons" back, and the only charge that stuck was the expired plates....$35 and costs. The moral is....when the red and blue lights come on behind you, you are truly at the mercy of the cop and his attitude. SO BE NICE!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Did ya miss the DC Sniper?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Heck I got pulled over just a week ago, Still dont know why. First time Ive ever been pulled over since Ive been driving, and I didnt even get an explanation.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't asking if it was NORMALLY DONE, I was asking if it was RIGHT.  Two different things!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Right after i got my truck i was riding around with 2 of my buddies. We got on the highway and were pulled over after crossing a bridge. Everyone was seatbelted. CSP comes up to the window and says one of my license plate lights was out. I was going to say that couldn't be, but common sense stopped me. He asked for all the usual stuff, and when he saw my CCW he asked if i was packing, which i wasnt at the time.

He let me go without any action, of course, becuase there was nothing wrong with my light to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I have alot of respect for the LEO crowd. But the guys who like to run speed traps or play games like tailgaiting then pulling you over when you speed up drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top