Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 4:01:01 PM EDT
One of the guys that wrote a book on primitive archery lives in my neighborhood.  He put a posting on craigslist, he wanted to know if anybody wanted to learn how to make a bow.  I took him up on it.

We met in his back yard.  He bought a stave of red oak from Home Depot and had a bucket of tools to work with.  This guy has apparently done this thousands of times and has shown a whole bunch of people how to make bows and bowstrings and they get together once a month and go shooting.

I now have a bow leaning against my bookshelf that this guy pretty much just made for me with a little help from me, and then we shot for a little while.  It shoots pretty good, by the way.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you shot it at a target yet ?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics???
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pics???

+1

How much did the stave cost?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If you ever really get into it, make your own adjustable bow string rig with a 2x4 and some dowels, bolts, and wing nuts. All you need is a router. I can make a quality bow string in about 5 minutes with some Dacron and nylon serving, and it's tight as heck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Have you shot it at a target yet ?

Yeah, we shot at a burlap bag full of plastic bags.  I wasn't too confident to shoot very far, I'd never shot a bow before, so at about 20 yards I was hitting within a one foot circle.  He could hit a beer can at that distance.

Very fun.

The stave was $6.  And we made the bowstring out of a spool of cotton thread, it took about five or ten minutes to make.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend from highschool who is a " NA"  and he makes long bows out of osage.

I still haven't gotten him to lighten up on the price though.

I've never seen a "osage" tree, so I have no idea if that is worth it

GM
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Cool.

tagged for pics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top