Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2006 2:53:40 PM EDT
I'm curious as to if any of you have had a stolen gun returned to you. I've heard a story that in my area, say if your gun was stolen from you and recovered in a crime, you would still never see your gun again...and that it would be melted down. Any comments?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never had a firearm stolen from me, so I've never had one returned.

When it comes to my job; I've seen numerous firearms returned to them after they were recovered.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Lost one, never seen again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
never had anything stolen
but have many customers come in to get a copy of their invoice   or 4473
so they could get a stolen gun back
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Had several stolen.

The local sherrif dept. sent out a detective and he scoured the pawn shops in Columbus. (Ohio).

He found them all.

He asked the pawn shop owner to hand them back over as they were stollen.  The detective  told me that the Columbus police had a "deal"" set up for pawn shop owners so that the stollen guns would have to be baught back.

The detective went back to the county I lived in, got a warrent for the pawn shop owners arrest and went back for the guns.  He got them back wiith a smile.

Time from loss to return was 8 days.

The bad guys were caught a few days later when they robbed some farmer and his dogs didn't like it too well.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the guys I work with had his Glock 36 stolen out of his home. They left the long guns after they finger fucked them, and took the only pistol.

Three weeks later, deputy sheriff pulls a vehicle over a block from the guys house with the gun in the seat. He got it back 2 days later.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I had four firearms stolen from me in 1989.  The thief was a "friend" from work that had become addicted to heroin.  He broke into my apartment while I was at work.  All he took was the guns--2 rifles and 2 pistols.  He walked right by a number of other things that he could have taken, but didn't.  

Later that day, he took the guns to a pawnshop that was fencing illegal goods and traded them for $220 and four bags of brown heroin.  Unknown to him, the pawnshop was a sting operation ran by the local Sherrif's Department.  Everything was recorded on tape, fingerprints were taken--the heroin was cut until it was just barely a crime to posses it.

The thief plea-bargined himself out of a long sentence by ratting out his buddies.  He went away for a while and is out now, God knows where.  I later found out that he had also ripped off some of my fellow co-workers for a lot of stuff, including a car.  It seems that everyone else at work knew about his addiction except me.

I got the guns back about a year later.  It was very strange walking across Courthouse Park in broad daylight with my arms full of firepower.  I got a lot of strange looks.

I learned two things from this--1) buy a vault, and 2) tell no one that I own guns.  I was very lucky that I got these back, and I was very very lucky that no one got hurt as a result of my stupidity.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
In this town,the pawn shop has to send a copy of the paper work to the police when anything is pawned. Alot of people have gone to jail this way,and the rightful owner gets their property back.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
He asked the pawn shop owner to hand them back over as they were stollen.  The detective  told me that the Columbus police had a "deal"" set up for pawn shop owners so that the stollen guns would have to be baught back.

Um, since it was stolen property, doesn't it rightfully go back into your possession?   I don't understand why the police has to buy it back from the pawn shop.  

Unless there was something about this "deal" that I'm not getting..
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#9]
  Back in the '70s, someone broke into our house, and stole all our guns (20+). Months later, my Dad noticed a photo in the paper of a Sheriff's Deputy holding MY flintlock rifle (I had stamped my name on the lockplate). A short time later, we had them all back. The guy that took them had been storing them somewhere, and when he was later caught, the police discovered this huge stash of stolen items. Many of our guns were antiques, so I think that is why he had not gotten rid of them sooner-the only gun we did not recover was a semi-auto.22.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I had 6 stolen and 5 were recovered by the end of the week. They were returned to me the following week.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
i bought a browning hi power from a dude i worked with about 10 years ago. kept it shot it traded to shop for a real nice 30 carbine.

fast forward FIVE YES FIVE years later the guy finally sold the hipower to someone and wala it was discovered stolen. owner threatened me to be turned over to the police if i didnt come down and pay for it. i told him to go ahead and give the p.d. my name and address.

owner did say the name of the person it was stolen from. oddly enough i knew him.

never heard from p.d.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, since it was stolen property, doesn't it rightfully go back into your possession?   I don't understand why the police has to buy it back from the pawn shop.  

Unless there was something about this "deal" that I'm not getting..

This is all I know from what the detective told me.  

This is why he got a warrent for the pawn shop onwers arrest.  Hand them over or go to jail for receiving stolen property.  The county i lived in did not have that "deal" on the books and the detective would not play games.

I guess the Columbus police had some sort of "deal" with pawn shops that identified stollen property would have to be baught back???

I understand the pawn shop onwer did not even flinch when the detective handed him the warrent.  The gave the guns back in a flash.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Maryland has a 5 day waiting period for handguns.

I filled out the paperwork on a new Ruger Super Blackhawk.  2 days later...as I waited...the shop was broken into and it was stolen.

The store replaced it for me no problem.

I just found it funny, that because of the waiting period, a criminal now has a 44 magnum.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Several years ago, some friends of mine who were in a fairly (locally) successful heavy metal band had a huge house party in Fort Lauderdale ( a couple of hours from where we are all from)
A bunch of us from the home town went down to the party, and were planning to spend the night.

During the festivities, these two asshats who nobody knew snuck around through the house stealing shit.
One of the things they stole was a Glock 23 from one of my friends' overnight bag.

Well, somewhere along the line...somebody catches them in the act, and they haul ass down the street on foot, pursued by about 25 angry, drunk metal heads with baseball bats, chains, etc.

They got cornered in between two houses, and the asshat pulls out the gun he has just stolen...
Needless to say, they got away after that.
The police were called, and reports were taken...the officer said he wouldnt get his hopes up too high, because nobody even knew where these guys were from.

2 YEARS LATER...A police officer shows up at the door of the party house, with the stolen gun in a paper bag.
He gave it to the guy living there, who returned it to the original owner.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I know a guy whos house was broken into.  All of his guns were stolen.  About six months later a city worker was wading through the river checking out storm drain outlets when he found one of the guns.  It was a springfield 12 gauge pump.  The guy got it back.  I bought it from him in the same condition they returned it in, covered in mud and crap.  It cleaned up ok and works fine, its just not very pretty.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#17]
totally tagged... I love happy endings.

Does stolen also include when cops take someone's guns without just cause? I haven't read far enough to see if any of those stories have been thrown into the mix.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#18]
My late grandfather had some "caretakers" that came over and helped clean his house as he was getting ill.  They cleaned his house all right... a couple rifles and shotguns, and at least 2 handguns that we know of.  They also helped themselves to his power tools, had a party with his credit cards, and changed the billing address of the cards so he'd never find out.

We handed all of this information, including the dirtbag's address, serial numbers and card numbers, over to the police.  They took a report, but never pursued it any further.  

Can any of our LEO's explain to me how the hell that could happen?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had 2 stolen, and 2 returned. One was a modle 38 Baretta, one was a 50 cal gas fire machinegun. The Baretta was used in a crime, still got it back. The 50 was taken from a gang member.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Two cases that I know of:

1.  My girlfriend owned and operated a Army and Navy store in the largest city in NH.  Had a guy come in and ask to see a Glock 17 in the case.  He started to fill out the paperwork and she turned her back on him for a second and he split for the door.  She gives chase w/ her .38 and as he hits the street (into a get away car) see yells stop.  He turns around and laughs at her and gets away.  The guy gets picked up three weeks later using the gun in a armed robbery.  She got the gun back 9months later.

2.  My step-dad went into a business meeting first thing in the morning and had put his gun (a Colt mustang .380) in his briefcase.  He set his briefcase down next to his car went inside and realized that he had forgot it next to the car.  He returned to find it missing.  That was 1990 (made a full police report) he still hasn't seen the gun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#21]
The ATF got one of my stolen guns back in a sting in New Jersey. It's a SAR1. I wish they'd find my H&K USP45F. I have to buy it back from the insurance company that covered me for the loss.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Many years ago before I was born my dad had a bunch of his guns stolen 1 of which being a S&W revolver. About 8 years later when I was about 5-6 I answered the door to 2 local detectives.  They handed my mother a brown paper bag that contained the .357. It turns out it was sold and used in a drug deal gone bad in Harrisburg and was used in a homicide. It took that many years for it to go through the system and courts as evidence before it was finally returned. That was almost 20 years ago.

I've heard now they either detroy them or they stay in evidence lock up for ever but I really don't know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#23]
When I was seven, my fathers entire collection was stolen. 28 rifles and pistols, including several m1s, colts, and a luger. 5 years later he recieved a phone call that some had been found.
Two days later an m1 carbine and a nm 1911 showed up in the mail.

Turns out the guys were caught in Oregon 24 hrs after robing our house. Local Sheriff kept the guns and let the thieves go. Five years later he is caught stealing from the property room. Upon searching his home these two guns were found along with a bunch of other stolen property.

The other 26 were never recovered.

Saddest part, was that dad only ever bought two guns to replace the others.
You guessed it, a s&w Mod 36 .38 spcl, and a Remington Mod. 552 .22lr
I now have all four.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I have.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#25]
They found one of mine a year ago and still haven't returned the f'er!!!

Personally i think it went missing out of their evidence room and they are afraid to admit an officer of theirs up armed himself at my expense!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#26]
They found one of mine a year ago and still haven't returned the f'er!!!

Personally i think it went missing out of their evidence room and they are afraid to admit an officer of theirs up armed himself at my expense!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#27]
My dad had a .25 Automatic stolen out of our van by a local HS kid.  We knew the kid and he was pretty much a dirtbag.  He fired the 6 rounds in it at some point.  It was empy when he was arrested.  I don't remember how long it took to get it back, but it wasn't long.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Very happy to get this back. My shotgun is still gone.Hope it doesn't have any bodies on it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my Ruger BlackHawk back from the burgler who stole it. I had to pay as he was playing a game with me about being a drug dealer & trading drugs for the gun.

I was working with the Oceanside PD on the case & ended up working undercover with Special Agent Parkhurst of the Treasury Dept because the thief offered to sell me a slienced fully auto Uzi.

I was in the Corps at the time, but I never got my Colt Gold cup, or brand new never shot stainless Ruger .22 auto back from the thief.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#30]
   Wow, I was more under the impression that if police had a stolen gun, you wouldn't see it for an eternity. I.E., it would rot in the evidence room forever. I luckily have never had a gun stolen, but I was curious since my tuck was recently broken into and they stole my pool cue/case(650+ loss). They didn't bother to pry open my glovebox to take the G21 and G33, but they took the time to let all of the air out of my tires......
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a Glock 17 taken a year or two ago. Still haven't got it back.

I think the serial was GEK 410.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Had my loaded stainless Smith 5906 stolen out of my house.  It was holstered to the bed railing.  They couldn't get in the safe to get the real goodies.

Took me countless calls and paperwork to finally get it back.  Over 3 years.
They never could tell me the specifics of the case.  Only that the perp was pleading "insanity".

I was glad to get it back, but it took the ATF to come knockin' on my door to sign more friggin paperwork.  Hell I even had to sign paperwork from D.C. to claim the gun so it wouldn't be destroyed.

Somehow it managed to stay in pretty good shape in the criminals hand.  Haven't figured that one out yet.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I had  12 guns stolen 5 years ago, one was a sig 228, the PD got it back in a drug raid, but it took 2 years for me to get it back, it was part of project I.C.E. felons with guns, the feds were real slow to release it. The Sheriff Dept. sent me a letter last Thurs. they got my mosberg 835 back, I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow. All of these guns were stolen by my X-brother inlaw, he called our house to see if we were home, and forgot to hang his phone up, our answering machine recorded him and two friends talking about breaking in and stealing my guns, they were caught pretty quick, scary part was they said pop'em if they come home, now think about it, he was talking about his sister! He is in the pokie serving five years. I hope he has been BF'd everyday.  Nothing new, but can't be said enough, get a safe, and keep up with all your seriel numbers, if a gun is stolen, it will stay in the system until it is recovered. also check your insurance policy, I only had $2000 gun coverage, the total loss was $5800, I have since gotten a safe and upped my coverage. I made the mistake of thinking if it was in my house it was covered by my policy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#34]
It took 11 years, but I got a S&W 645 back.  Still waiting for the Steyr AUG-SA.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:57:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Me.  An Astra Constable .380 and a S&W 686. It happened some years ago. My teenaged (at the time) daughter had told some of her "friends" about me taking her shooting and all the guns that I had.  During a party at the house two boys broke into a locked room and broke into my gun cabinet and took them.

I didn't know a thing about until I got a call one afternoon from a detective asking if I owned an Astra .380 and was it missing?  Sure enough I checked and it and the Smith were missing.  The crime was discovered because the boys were driving down the road and one of them was fooling with the gun and shot himself in the leg!  They had buried the Smith in the woods near where they lived.  A couple of weeks after the first call, the detective came by the house and dropped the guns off.

Both of the guns were in pretty good condition and my daughter went through a lengthy gounding period.  That was the end of any big parties at our house.

I think I has some pretty hot rounds in the .380 either Silvertips or Cor-Bon, but the kid didn't do too much damage to himself although I guess he now walks with a limp.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:09:55 AM EDT
[#36]
NOPE, i keep them all with me wherever i go :P. and if i dont i hide them in a place nobody will ever find em :P
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:22:48 AM EDT
[#37]
1 stolen, police said that even if they recovered it, it was policy to not return it. Typical Baltimore MD bullshit. Never heard about it again; don't know if it was recovered or not, but I doubt it. Wasn't rich enough to fight City Hall at the time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
tallbill.com/pictures/albums/userpics/10014/normal_100-0002_IMG_7.JPG

Very happy to get this back. My shotgun is still gone.Hope it doesn't have any bodies on it.

You had the silencer stolen too?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Never had one stolen from me, but my Brother in-laws Beretta was stolen from his apartment and returned about a year later when someone tried to pawn it
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#40]
After all of mine were stolen, I checked the local pawn shops. A lady at one of them said they had a guy come in and try to pawn a pistol, they thought somthing was up, so they said they were going to have the numbers run, he took off running. The pistol belonged to the Lt. Gov. of Mississippi, it had been stolen 14 years earlier, she said he sent a car straight over to get it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Lost 1, had 4 stolen, haven't seen them since.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Never had one stolen in all of my years buying/selling/trading.

My sister, who only owns two (both given her by me) managed to get one (Charter Arms .38) stolen from her Jeep (along with her big case full of CDs) a few years ago while visiting friends out of town.  The gun, unfired and still loaded, was found in a yard just a block or two away the next morning & turned over to police the next day (unbeknownst to her).  I assume it was kids who took the CDs and the gun (at first) but got spooked about the gun and tossed it.  

After calling me for the serial number, she reported it to the local PD the next day.  It was just a couple of days later that they called her to tell her that it had been found and turned in.  The next time she was down that way, she went by, filled out some paperwork, and got it back.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#43]
How many of you that had guns stolen, had all your serial numbers? I had 12 guns stolen, and only had the numbers on 7 of them, (Hard  lesson learned!) Just curious if any of the recoveries were from guns that you didn't have the numbers for. I had a Russian sks stolen in those 12, the store I bought it from went out of biz, so I couldn't get the numbers on it. The county had recovered an sks shortly after, and ask if I could identify it as mine, it wasn't, and I was honest about that, they told me after, either way if I would have said it was my gun, they would have given it to me. but I would rather be honest, I would have hated getting someone elses gun. OH WELL. I still feel better about being honest.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I had Glock 19 stolen when a little pr!ck stole my truck (it was inside the truck). They caught the little b@stard with my truck and the gun. He had been braking into other cars. The police contacted me to say it had been recovered. They told me that they were going to run ballistic checks on it and if the kid had used it in a crime, i'd never see it again. 6 months later the results came back that everything was OK and I was able to pick it up. It still had the fobus holester but, no bullets. It was in the same condition I saw it last. I'm glad I kept my serial numbers on it.

The LEO handling my case was awful about returning phones or giving me an update.  That was more frustrating than anything about getting it back.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#46]
I have been lucky with the LEOs, maybe being a fireman helps? but my 228 was involved with a federal case, and the local PD said they hate to return guns. They had that pistol for 3 years before I got it back.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
How many of you that had guns stolen, had all your serial numbers?...

Like I said, I haven't had one stolen (yet? )... but I have the serial number from every firearm I have EVER owned, much less the ones I still have.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Wise man. I was young and dumb, and never thought anyone would break in my house. I live in a pretty good community, I forgot about the enemy within, asshole brother inlaw/X, now serving 5 years in the pokie!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Hardshell, where in bama?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Hardshell, where in bama?

If you mean the incident with my sister's revolver described above, Prattville.

If you mean where do I live, beautiful Slapout, AL.
(Just as rural and isolated as it sounds. )
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top