Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 12:56:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I had mine done at 35, I was down about two days.
I was an interesting experience.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
thats from all the pain meds, and the fact you cant and dont want to eat for a few days..
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't fit the profile you set up (I'm 28), but I had them out last year (27).

3/4 (the 4th never showed up).  They were all severely impacted and turned in (toward the tongue; can't remember the dental/medical term for that).

Mine didn't hurt much at all.  I was able to eat some soup that night, and steak at a wedding reception two days later (not mine; I don't know anyone who could take *that* kind of pain, in such a short amount of time, and live to tell about it ).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I had all 4 out by surgery.   Was ok the next day, but a lot of drooly/bloody spit that would be tough to deal with if you are around alot of other people.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine were done when I was 21 or 22.  All 4, all at once.  They were all below the gun line growing in diagonally.

9am surgery.  I was out of commission for that day, and part of the next day.

Doctors and nurses have routinely placed my pain threshold as better than normal.

The worst part was the tremendous amount of blood you could't spit out.  You had to let it drool out.

Pain in the ass.

Wasn't that big of a deal.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm 41. I still have two wisdom teeth. I had one taken out when I was 20 and the other when I was 39. I had no ill effects after either of them came out. No serious pain or major swelling. There is no sense in taking them out unless they need to come out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I had all four out when I was about 30 (I don't remember the exact age).  I was in the chair for about an hour altogether, although most of that time was spent on one particularly difficult tooth that had badly hooked roots.  If not for that tooth I probably would have been in and out in 20 minutes.

Despite the extended session in the chair, I was up and about the same day with no significant pain.  I never even bothered to fill my prescription for pain medications.  It isn't that I am some tough guy, it is just that I didn't have much pain.  

So, don't take the horror stories as absolute truth.  Sure, sometimes people have a harder time with it, but not always.  And since you are in good shape and still young (30 is not old), I bet you will be fine.

Good luck and speedy recovery.

P.S.  I didn't have much swelling either.  I did have some blood, but not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Wasn't that bad.
One hole couldn't be closed up and I ended up with a dry socket (OWWWWW!) due to my own ignorance.
I took pain pills and drank Gatorade for two days, not to risk any complications.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll be ok, I promise.

It'll hurt but they'll give you medicine for that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
3 removed about 6 years ago, no way those Navy butcher Dentist will ever get a chance to do it again.

Going in May for surgery for the last one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah, right before Christmas as a matter of fact... I'm 38 btw

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=420796
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently had six removed and I was 16 at the time...

It's not that bad - don't forget to take your meds...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#14]
hopefully they'll come out intact and the doc won't have to spend an hour digging the pieces of root out... I did that on novocaine, and was awake for the procedure. BTW, what dosage are your percs? Mine were 7.5s, which I really needed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#15]
24 here had my taken out last year.

worst part is being on a liqued diet for a couple days.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I had two removed in June I think it was.  Age 31.  Came out easy and the recovery wasn't bad. The Percocets (oxocodone) helped with the little pain that there was.  Two days quarters and a few days of light duty.  I just slept the rest of that afternoon and watched tv and played online the next day. Mine came out very easy though.  Guess I was one of the lucky ones.
Some people have it harder though.  If they are difficult to remove, or even have to be broken and have to be removed in pieces.  Also if they have to sew up your gums or not.

It's one of those things that depends on the individual circumstances.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top