Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 12:24:17 PM EDT
I think someone is tampering with one of my PCs that has relatively open access. Can anyone point me to a keylogger that will record keystrokes surreptitiously?

I want to confirm my suspicions before taking any further action.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
google..
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
google..

I don't want to dink around with something that may or may not be good or full of malicious code. I was hoping someone would have some experience since google doesn't do much more than dump a bunch of meaningless results.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
spectersoft is good but it's not free
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
"IAMBIGBROTHER"  I've used it successfully a few times,it also will take screen shots at user determined intervals.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
google..

I don't want to dink around with something that may or may not be good or full of malicious code. I was hoping someone would have some experience since google doesn't do much more than dump a bunch of meaningless results.

The "google is your friend" crowd always misses the fact that someone posting a question like this here is looking for an EXPERIENCE.

and tag!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Webroot Software makes one.
They must have quit making it!

Ooops.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
If you left your PC unattended with no password protection, it would be trivially easy drop on a keylogger.  And most won't show up in Task Manager as an application or process so you'll never know it's there.  Same with Root Kits.

I believe they will, however, show up in a HiJackThis log file.  Find it, run it, examine it, then once you've figured out exactly what you've got you can figure out how to kill it.

If you do end with something nasty, instead of deleting it right away you might want to load a packet sniffer and take a look at the IP the data is being sent to so you bust the perp who loaded it on your system in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
you need a hardware keylogger.

eta:  yeah, like Paul said.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#10]
a  keylogger is next  to "hello world" in the terms of  complication.  just write  one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:04:03 AM EDT
[#11]
tag

"Iambigbrother" looks cheap and monitors the most popular things. But is it stealth? I mean, does it show up in control panel, task manager, etc?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#12]
All of the software keyloggers I've used have bogged my system down... Some more than others. ETA, Maybe it was the ones that took pics that did that because, I do remember a couple of them working fine.

If it can wait a few days, order a hardware keylogger (connects to your keyboard cable and then to the tower). Most people wouldn't bother to check that since there are so many damn wires anyway.

ETA: Hell, I've got a few discs/diskets sitting right here with the key logger software I use on them. I'll check and see what they are..........."Home Key Logger Free Edition v1.60" is the one that had the least effect on my system and it will autorun when the PC starts up and run in stealth mode but, I think it is still visible in the alt+ctrl+del box.?
Oh yeah, you might need a 'key' for the program (to register) but there are ways to get one..... I think that's all I'm allowed to say here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top