Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2006 10:25:48 AM EDT
I was given these by a friend of mine, and I really don't know much about them.  I know the first pic is of some kind of electrical .50 cal blank, but what kind of weapon/simulator uses them?

As far as these go, I have no idea what they are for.  They're too big for a .50, and look like they may be some sort of tip for a 20mm or greater.

I noticed one was partly unscrewed, and this is what fell out of it:

The small cylindrical ball does have a little green on one side.  Are these some sort of tracers?  

Thanks!

eta:  Should I be playing around with these?   Allison convinced me that hitting them with a hammer or hooking them to a 9v battery would not be a good idea!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#1]
uh, you should probably go ahead and screw that thing back together now.....

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#2]
look like warhead fuses to me eh,  i wouldn't rough handle them
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
tag, i wanna know too looks cool, but yeah the 9v or the hammer not a good idea,

how bout a drill press to take a core sample?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
It's depleted uranium core, anti commie rounds and .50 caliber  xenon laser rounds.

I have no idea what the heck they are.  Somebody does though I'm sure.  Don't be surprised if men in black suits knock on your door in the next 5 minutes asking to speak with you in private.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Rambos on his way, those are his explosive tips for his arrows.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, excuse the kindergarten photshop/paint job....

Anyway, this is is how it was assembled.  

Part #1 fits in to the nose cap, with the painted red portion (from my mad MS Paint skills) lying flat against what looks to be some sort of pin in the nose cap.  The C clip holds it in place, and part #2 threads snugly into the base and against the bottom of the cylindrical ball (where the green stuff is located on the cylindrical ball).  To the best of my knowledge, it looks like once the nose cap hits something with enough force, the pressure from the pin ignites part #1, which in turns ignites/detonates part #2.  But that's about all I can theorize.  Here's the green stuff on the ball.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Are your ears ringing?

Have you lost the sense of taste?

Do you have a burning feeling in your sinuses?

If no, lick it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Rambos on his way, those are his explosive tips for his arrows.

If you didn't laugh at that, shoot yourself in the face!!!

Gary
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
How do I add a poll?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#11]
tag for ident.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Poll added!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Delays, delays.....

George, get that rabbit!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Miltary grade electrical suppositories.

They've been used by the military for over 50 years to cure a myriad of diseases such as blue-balls, crabs and the seven-year-itch.

Pretty cool unless there's a brownish discoloration which would make them used parts.

HS1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They've been used by the military for over 50 years to cure a myriad of diseases such as blue-balls, crabs and the seven-year-itch.

Pretty cool unless there's a brownish discoloration which would make them used parts.

HS1

I just spit Dr. Pepper on my laptop reading that!  You owe me!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#17]
You really think this poll will be accurate?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

Sorry Bro. Will a 20 round box of unused Miltary grade electrical suppositories be ok?

HS1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Really It's a muffler bearing for a 59 caddy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#20]
All I can tell is that the casing is used for some Surface Explosive Ord Disposal Tool type thing.  Thats based on the FSC in the NSN.  Other than than, it has probably been assigned the NSN since CY 2000.

ETA:  Blurb about it here
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#21]
The M174 (.50cal blank) is used for destroying explosive devices, its a disruptor charge meant to blow apart an explosive device without detonating the device's explosives, IIRC.

Basically, it was easier for them to design it using a .50cal case and such, rather than start from scratch.  Do NOT screw around with it, if its still live you could be in a world of hurt if it went off.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#23]
The green stuff looks like the stuff used in primers, i.e. explosive.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Want to sell them
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The M174 (.50cal blank) is used for destroying explosive devices, its a disruptor charge meant to blow apart an explosive device without detonating the device's explosives, IIRC.

Basically, it was easier for them to design it using a .50cal case and such, rather than start from scratch.  Do NOT screw around with it, if its still live you could be in a world of hurt if it went off.

Kharn

Huh?  So how is it supposed to work?  You find an IED, you put this in a 50, aim it at the IED, detonate it remotely, and the blast will rip apart the IED w/o setting it off?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#26]
SSDG rounds.

/Space Shuttle Door Gunner rounds.

.....and get back to that camera work for the BOTD thread!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Ex-AF EOD here.  Electric-fired .50 cartridge used in several EOD specific "power tools".  Are these live?  Live ones will have a sealing plug in the case neck.  If so, DO NOT apply electricity to the firing leads.  These rounds have a much heavier charge than regular .50 BMG and if not confined in a chamber will KB quite spectacularly.  When used in one of the tools, they will throw a 5-7lb. tool several feet back if not sandbagged.  The other items look like fuzes for 20mm shells.  From the pictures they appear to be live but it is hard to tell.  I would recommend very strongly against any further disassembly.  I learned not to trust "INERT" markings after seeing an inert training aid fuse go off in a guy's hand about six feet away from me.  It took some surgery but he got to keep the affected finger.  

ETA:  Jason280:  I don't use IM, shoot me an email through the site if you want more info
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#28]
there's no "fix the date on my camera" option
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Do NOT screw around with it, if its still live you could be in a world of hurt if it went off.

Yeah, that's what the guy who gave them to me said.  At one time, he had three of the M174's.  He hooked one up to a big battery charger (the kind you roll around and jump a car off with), and subsequently switched the bastard on.  He tells me it left a pretty good dent in the ground, but that's all he would say.

Oh, and he promptly gave the remaining two to me!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
there's no "fix the date on my camera" option

I'm too lazy to change the date.  Virtually every picture I have ever taken with the camera has the same "2002" date.

JMT,

The rounds are sealed, so I'm pretty sure they are "hot".  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Jason,
As long as you don't apply heat or electricity, those rounds should be safe.  We always stored them in padding in an ammo can.  I would be much more concerned with the fuzes.  Do they have any markings on them?  If they do, please post them and I may be able to find more info.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#32]
No markings on the fuzes, at least that I can tell. I'll try and take a few better pics.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Janson, shoot EODtech2000 about your finds!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#34]
You sir, should be shot for wasting that perfectly good dig camera on that shit when you could be taking pics of Allison.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Regulated destructive device?  Wouldn't those be exploding tip bullets used by the Feinswine soccer mom hysteria patrol?  Damn....they're right, gun owners really are evil!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#36]
If it is some kind of EOD shit, you better rethink your friendship with the guy that gave it to you .  Seems like a future CSI episode.....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Plasma rifle cartrage in the 30 watt range
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Shoot it at a wall with a slingshot
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Happy fun ball? Sick bastard...I see somebody else watches TV on saturday nights.....gf fell out of her chair...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Who is "Allison "
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#41]
2nd pic look like fuzes from the 4.2" / 107mm mortar (only smaller).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Has it occurred to anybody here  that these may be a prohibited Destructive Device? If you're caught holding or worse, igniting, the BATFE may want to crawl into your asshole to discover what other eeeEEVIL secrets you have.

I'd consider anonymously tossing them into the nearest deep body of water at 2:30 in the morning on a nice, slow Tuesday. Nothing good can come from holding these things, especially if the threats from LE make  you rat out your dumb friend.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't take the shunt off the electric cartridge if it is live, as static or a EMR can initiate it and that would suck!!!!

Now the other fuze looking things have got me scratching my head, I have seen them before but can't place them.  They look like they start an explosive train in a projectile of some type, think of it as large rifle primer on steriods.

BTW, Not the smartest thing to do taking one apart.  Be lucky you still have two eyes and ten fingers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

... lick it.

+1 lick it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#45]
I am not a 100% certain but the fuzes appear to be M505A3 PD (Point Detonating) fuze for 20mm HEI projectiles.

My advice is get rid of the damn things, there is a good chance there just may be enough HE in them to qualify as a destructive device.

M505A3 PD Fuze

The PD fuze (fig. 7-3) consists of a body assembly,
a rotor assembly, and a booster assembly. The fuze has
a delayed arming distance of 20 to 35 feet after it leaves
the muzzle of the gun. Before firing the HEI projectile,
the rotor and the firing pin are locked in position by the
rotor safety spring. (The rotor contains the detonator,
which is out of line with the firing pin.) Centrifugal
force causes the spring to open, allowing the rotor to
move in-line with the firing pin. The fuze functions
when the nose of the fuze is crushed against the target,
forcing the firing pin against the detonator. The
detonator, in turn, initiates the booster. The booster
detonates and initiates the projectile's explosive charge.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Yeah...I think you should get rid of those ASAP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#47]
The new poll "How long til the ATF comes strolling down my driveway?"

Id personally drive out into a deep deep forest with a Accurate AR, and all the toys you got there, and shoot at em, from many football fields away, MANY

Or just toss that shit in a river

OR

Bury it in a sealed pvc pipe, many feet under ground, incase you ever need it to disarm an IED, or if the atf knows and they want that shit now

Seriously toss it or bury it

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The new poll "How long til the ATF comes strolling down my driveway?"

Id personally drive out into a deep deep forest with a Accurate AR, and all the toys you got there, and shoot at em, from many football fields away, MANY

Or just toss that shit in a river

OR

Bury it in a sealed pvc pipe, many feet under ground, incase you ever need it to disarm an IED, or if the atf knows and they want that shit now

Seriously toss it or bury it

The Electric Cart is NOT a destructive device!!!!!!   It is nothing more than a electrically initiated .50 BMG blank.  

The fuzes are another story.

Also leave the fuze disassembly to Combat Engineers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

Almost choked on my sandwich when I read that
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Not knowing what they are, if I had them, I wouldn't be posting about it, especially with photo evidence...

I wouldn't have taken them from him in the first place because I am way too worried about losing my gun rights over something within my control, but I am wimpy that way...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top