Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 10:10:17 AM EDT
I went with my buddy to the range yesterday; he's shopping for his first handgun.  We tried out a Springfield XD .40 cal, a Sig P220, Sig P226, and a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum.  I brought my Springfield 1911.  I really liked the P220 and P226...I might have to buy one of those someday.

Anyway, I was shooting American Eagle 230gr. and Federal XM1911 through my 1911, and here's what I found in my box of XM1911.  Obviously, I opted not to shoot it.

The round on the left is the improperly seated bullet and the round on the right is a normal round that I put there for comparison.  Do you think this round would have caused any problems?  I'm thinking it would, considering how far into the shell casing it's seated.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks safe to me
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't have shot it, better safe than sorry. I would think that if there wasn't enough room inside the case that it might have ruptured before the bullet got out of it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Less volume = more pressure.  Big boom waiting to happen. I wouldn't shoot it if you like your fingers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Less volume = more pressure.  Big boom waiting to happen. I wouldn't shoot it if you like your fingers.

As long as the one I use to pick my nose isn't blown off, I'm cool with it.
I just stuck that round in my pocket and continued on.  I need more guns!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#5]
prob safe,  but why risk it
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Good call and good eyes.  

TC

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The round with the overseated bullet would have a higher pressure, but I doubt it would cause any harm to you or your pistol. But this is just my opinion and worth every cent you paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Unusual to find that in a box of new ammo. Was the box dropped?
was it in an end row of the box?
Thats usually a result of a misfeed. I've had Remington Golden Sabers do this when chambered a couple of times, clearing and reloading a .45.

On the same note, I store ammo on strippers for use in an Uzi speed loader and make sure that when I pack them in ammo cans that they are placed in with the rounds horizontal in case the can is ever dropped so the weight of the rounds inside don't compress those on the bottom on impact.

Lose ammo I don't worry about. It must be pretty safe if many of the suppliers ship it around everywhere lose in ammo cans.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Tommygun,

This round is from a fresh 50 round box.  It wasn't smashed, and the round was the 2nd or 3rd round in the first row of the box.  The only reason I noticed it was because the edge of the case was noticably lower than the others around it.  I had never chambered the round.  Weird, huh?  Oh well, that's 1 round out of a 1,000 round case that I bought from Ammoman.  I just wish he got this stuff in more often...I only have 1,050 rounds left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top