Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 5:36:33 AM EDT

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/06/ap/strange/mainD8EVE8O8J.shtml

Heat Gun Wins Wacky Warning Label Contest

DETROIT, Jan. 6, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) A warning that consumers shouldn't use a heat gun that produces temperatures of 1,000 degrees as a hairdryer has won an anti-lawsuit group's award for the wackiest label of the year.

The Wacky Warning Label Contest, in its ninth year, is conducted by Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch as part of an effort to show the effects of lawsuits on warning labels.

"When judges see it as their job to dismiss cases that are rooted in frivolous theories, we'll see fewer wacky labels and more fairness in the courts," said Robert B. Dorigo Jones, the group's president.

The $500 first prize went to Tom Brunelle of Holland, who spotted the heat gun warning.

The $250 second prize award went to Jam Sardar of Grand Rapids for a label on a kitchen knife that warns: "Never try to catch a falling knife."

Third prize of $100 went to Alice Morgan of La Junta, Colo. She found a cocktail napkin with a map of the waterways around Hilton Head Island, S.C., printed on it that cautioned: "Not to be used for navigation."

An honorable mention went to Kirk Dunham of Seabrook, Texas. He found this warning on a bottle of dried bobcat urine used to keep pests away from garden plants: "Not for human consumption."
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:47:20 AM EDT
[#1]
so this was the gun used in Heat?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#2]
DUHHH!  

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
An honorable mention went to Kirk Dunham of Seabrook, Texas. He found this warning on a bottle of dried bobcat urine used to keep pests away from garden plants: "Not for human consumption."

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a circular saw that reads, and I quote, "Do not stick fingers into moving blade."

There's only one reason for a label like that:

Some idiot, some time ago, cut off his fingers; subsequently sued the manufacturer, claiming he should have been warned  not to put his finger in the blade ; and won the lawsuit.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have heard that there is a chainsaw out there with a warning something like "Do not grab moving chain to try to stop it."
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have heard that there is a chainsaw out there with a warning something like "Do not grab moving chain to try to stop it."

most chainsaws have that warning on them
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If you actually read the manual on the Husky Chainsaw, it states

"Do not stop chain with crotch"

I dont know if it is a bad Swedish translation, but it is pretty funny
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you actually read the manual on the Husky Chainsaw, it states

"Do not stop chain with crotch"

I dont know if it is a bad Swedish translation, but it is pretty funny

I thought it said genitals, not crotch?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I read:

"Heat" Gun Wins Wacky Warning Label Contest  

So, this isn't really about the FNC, is it?

B_S
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#10]
the best i've seen was a folding stroller that said "do not fold while baby is in stroller"
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Best I ever saw:

"Do not post to ARFcom while drunk"
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never seen it myself, but I've heard a hairdryer had the warning "Do not use while sleeping."
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
so this was the gun used in Heat?

When I saw the title, thats what I thought it was about....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#14]
My Christmas lights say "for indoor or outdoor use only".

The science lab at my university has a big sign in the back saying "_________ University not responsible for damages, injuries, illness, death, or catastrophic destruction on apocalyptic levels due to stupidity."
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the best i've seen was a folding stroller that said "do not fold while baby is in stroller"

I laughed till I cried on this one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've never seen it myself, but I've heard a hairdryer had the warning "Do not use while sleeping."

i've seen hair driers that say "Do not use in shower" - i guess that's why my hair was never getting dry ~shrugs~.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#17]
On a Speed Queen commercial washing machine I was called out to a service call on.

High speed spin- DON'T PUT PEOPLE IN MACHINE

I guess the the wash cycle is OK for people.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/06/ap/strange/mainD8EVE8O8J.shtml

Heat Gun Wins Wacky Warning Label Contest

DETROIT, Jan. 6, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) A warning that consumers shouldn't use a heat gun that produces temperatures of 1,000 degrees as a hairdryer has won an anti-lawsuit group's award for the wackiest label of the year.

The $500 first prize went to Tom Brunelle of Holland, who spotted the heat gun warning.

There have got to be better than that. I could've won this award years ago.

I think the Navigation one was better.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I soooooooo thought the FN-FNC was getting an award for something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LIke a warning that it can cut down bank robbers with ease!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a cheaper version of a dremel tool for Christmas.  In the manual it said not to use the tool for dental surgery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top