Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 4:35:59 AM EDT
Is it just me or has BlackHawk Industries improved the quality of their gear lately?

I will readily admit that I haven't cared for their stuff in the past...I prefer Tactical Tailor and HSGI stuff.

But I got a chance to pick up a NIW Commando Chest Harness in "Coyote Tan" (LINK HERE) for a price that was just too cheap to pass up(Hey, I like to get a good deal, too!!! )...after having a chance to look it over, I came away with the impression that the quality of the material and workmanship is noticeably better than what I've seen them put out in the past few years.

Anybody else have the same observation or am I just imagining things?

Is this thing actually worth a damn or should I pass it off to someone else?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The Party Commissars in Vietnam must have made an example out of someone lately.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if the shemaghs are made in Vietnam as well?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#3]
The question still stands...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#4]
it is better than it used to be, but they are still supporting commie bastards
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And the designs are close enough to other companies that are made in the USA that I wouldn't bother with them at all.  Hell, some of the designs are identical to what Eagle makes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Without getting into the whole, "made in VN" question...

It has been my experience (albeit limited) that there is better quality gear that can be sourced domestically at equal or slightly more expense than the BH gear.

For a small margain of difference (sometimes cheaper) I can get a better quality produc;, designed, assembled and sold locally.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
They've got to keep ahead of the airsoft copies.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the items in their "STRIKE" line.  The plate carrier I use at work is a STRIKE model
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't buy Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
For the most part I've been pretty satisfied with their products, but I decided I will buy American instead.  But they do produce decent gear.  

-K
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:03:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't buy Blackhawk.

Neither do I...

I got my Commando Chest Harness for FREE!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:06:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The Party Commissars in Vietnam must have made an example out of someone lately.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#13]
We use a lot of BHI gear (as well as LBT) and for the most part the quality is excellent. The majority of their products are made here in the US and they are in the process of making more and more nylon here as well.

If it's issued I'll take LBT but if I have to buy it on my own I'll generally buy BHI.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, could someone identify some of the U.S. made gear.  I am in the market and would like to at least first see what the U.S. makers are offering and at what price.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Along with I-SHOT, the makers of one of the most expensive soft cases available.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:39:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I rather do business with Vietnam, than China... But then again, I rather buy something made here in the states.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:51:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I was looking at that link and I noticed that the woodland camo chest harness is going for a lot less than the solid colors, do you know the reason behind this?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I've used Blackhawk stuff  for probably the last 15 years.

Never had a problem. When they outsourced to VN a few years ago I started buying Eagle gear (Made in USA) and noticed a LOT of defects and sloppy production.

So I went back to Blackhawk and haven't had a problem since.

I'd prefer they made their shit in the US, but mostly I prefer to have reliable, well made gear.

In all these years the only BH item I ever bought with a problem was a SERPA holster for a M9 which (by virtue of it being made of plastic) had a problem with over retention of the firearm to the point you all but had to remove the retention screw to reliably draw the weapon.

I've got a lot of stuff that has seen 10 years worth of mud, ocean water, sun and abuse and despite looking extremely worn still holds up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#22]
All my blackhawk gear has been top notch quality.  I started using it in 2002 when I went to Bosnia, also used it in Iraq.  Only complaint I have ever had was the stiching on glove pinky fingers gets crooked sometimes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top