Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 7:32:46 PM EDT
Some of my rifles are hibernating for the winter. In my safe with the rest of the toys and 4lbs of silica gel. I last wiped them down with Eezox about two months ago. The relative humidity in my safe hasn't gotten over 40% in the last couple of months.... question is how long can I go with out wiping them down... what do you guys do?

Talking about NY weather here.... please describe your weather conditions if you respond
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in and out of the safe daily. But that is for the same couple of guns. However, it keeps my other guns in mind. I give them all a complete inspection at least twice a year. Obviously more if I actually use them. No problems in nearly 20 years.

And yes, I own guns that I rarely shoot. I have one that I haven't fired in at least 15 years. I keep meaning to but I never get around to it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I take mine out of the stocks and hose them off GOOD with WD 40. The SKS has a little rust spot on the magazine, the M1 has none. Parkerization is good.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Every 3 months. I use Breakfree on cotton patches.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The ones I dont shoot very often get checked out and wiped down with breakfree once a month. If I shoot them they get cleaned and wiped down before I put them back into the cases. Texas weather isnt to bad, humid at times, but not that bad.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
good question, my grandpa passed away a couple of years ago and he had 50+ shotguns, a few rifles and revolvers.  Now my grandma has them in his safe.  We were looking at them on Christmas and a couple have a little surface rust,  I was thinking of getting that Birchwood Casey rust protectant stuff (can't remember exactly what it's called).  What do you guys think works best?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
About every six months. But I have gone as long as a year. Usually in June or July when the humidity starts up out here. Other than that, it's so dry my freaking ICE evaporates at an alarming rate...

GT

Haven't seen rain since October
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]
40% humidity is GOOD. A light coating of rust protectant will last a long time with that low humidity level. Hose and wipe down with CLP or a good thicker inhibitor and it will be good to go for months. Especially at lower 60-70 temps.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
You may find  http://www.theinhibitor.com useful. I have used it for several years and have been pleased (no rust- NE AL pretty humid in the summer).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Goldenrod in the safe, and the guns were clean and oiled when they went in.

The answer is:
Never.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Gun sock it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#11]
They get cleaned after use; I don't clean them when they are stored.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Gun sock it.

Do these really work? What do you do clean it and then stick it in the sock, how long is it good for? I am going to be leaving a rifle over at a friends and would like something to protect it besides a coat of lube.

Omni
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've got a Goldenrod in the safe, and the guns were clean and oiled when they went in.

The answer is:
Never.

+1

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
depends on what you oil them with and how they are kept. in general CLP is good for about 60-90 days. mine get wiped down about 4-5 months and inspected.

I use Eezox.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I pull the metal out of the stocks, soak the metal in WD40, then put the metal in Trashbags and store them seperately.

Works fine.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]
87 times a year is a good start
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top