Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 5:03:50 PM EDT
What kind of magnificatio needed for seeing bullets strikes in paper at 100 yards and longer?

I am looking to get a decent spotting scope, what kind of magnification would I need?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
A good piece of 10x glass will allow you to see .22 size holes in a solid color target in sunlight. I would extrapolate from there for further distances
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A good piece of 10x glass will allow you to see .22 size holes in a solid color target in sunlight. I would extrapolate from there for further distances

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Magnification is not the most important factor. Objective lens size and quality of glass is what matters most in regards to resolving power.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 24x Kowa and can't always see .22 holes, depending on light conditions, background, etc. Usually not a problem though. You will find lens quality/resolution is very important.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What kind of magnificatio needed for seeing bullets strikes in paper at 100 yards and longer?

I am looking to get a decent spotting scope, what kind of magnification would I need?

Wouldn't it depend on the size of the holes?  

I'll bet you could see 16" gun impacts with the naked eye at 100m

Disconnector
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Kowa..TSN 821M with 27X LER eyepiece...

This is the high power standard...and trust me, you will NOT be disaspointed...
Walk down the firing line at any high power match and I guarantee you that 80% or more of the competitors have this model spotting scope.

Scope:

www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16225&cat=265&page=1

Eyepiece:

www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16229&cat=265&page=2

Creedmoor usually has the best price on these as they sell a LOT of them...

This is one of those items you pay a lot up front (almost 800 bucks for scope and eyepiece) but will NEVER have to buy again. It is an investment. Look the TSN 821M up on ebay...the used ones go for almost as much as the new ones.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a cheap 25X and seeing .22 holes at 100 yards is possible if there's enough contrast between the hole and the target.  Holes in a black target aren't always so easy.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top