User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 10:29:00 AM EDT
Why did the military stop using it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#1]
because whiney libs cried about it
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
i was of the understanding we had a huge stockpile from the vietnam war, and used that excess up in the first gulf war and afghanistan... though, maybe someone who actually knows something will chime in.

eta: you mean from planes in bombs or backpack/vehicle mounted flame throwers?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Nothing like the smell of Napalm in the morning
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The basic truth is that  it  was a psychological weapon that in reality was less than effective.  I remember reading some studies from Korea that showed that ECR were really, really small and in most case the effect they got was the respite that the enemy would not go through the fire.

For the war load on a strike aircraft cluster munitions are much more effective and instead of producing a quick flash and little effect, they kill about everything in the fall pattern.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#5]
They couldn't get it to stick to children well enough.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
For the war load on a strike aircraft cluster munitions are much more effective and instead of producing a quick flash and little effect, they kill about everything in the fall pattern.  

Bingo!

I have been meaning to write the story of Napalm since I've read a lot about it and I've talked with countless WWII, Korea and Vietnam Vets about it.  Napalm was never used after theVietnam era.

Louis Fieser and his group invented it during WWII and he wrote a great book about called "The Scientific Method".  He also patented the invention under U.S. Patent #2,606,107.  It's a great read.    
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo!

I have been meaning to write the story of Napalm since I've read a lot about it and I've talked with countless WWII, Korea and Vietnam Vets about it.  Napalm was never used after theVietnam era.

Louis Fieser and his group invented it during WWII and he wrote a great book about called "The Scientific Method".  He also patented the invention under U.S. Patent #2,606,107.  It's a great read.    

You are correct real Napalm went out along time ago.  But the Marine Corps did use Mk77 flame bombs in ODS and twice in OIF, the first time on Safwan Hill and the 2nd time on the hostile side of the Tigris at the crossing at An Numenyah.

It was really pretty to watch.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Im sure we still have it in the stockpile. It may or may not be used, I mean some things are classified still. I would be willing to bet that it isnt used on a large scale due to their is less vegitatation in the Middle Eastern Theater and that there are more effective weapons in existance now. Weapons such as cluster bombs and laser guided bombs fit the bill better for a desert climate where you can see everything.

LBGs work better in a city cause you can level one building precisisly and use it where you cant user Napalm or artillery ect cause of civilian concerns.

And when air support is needed helicopters/AC130s or a varity of other weapons work in the CAS role due to friendly fire concerns. But when you still need the old carpet bombing, a B52 or B1 with Iron unguided bombs has always worked better than Napalm.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#9]
they did use naplam in gulf war one, but not as a weapon they used it to burn up the big pools of oil from the oil well fires after they where put out. they where also used a few times on oil slicks on the water
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
they did use naplam in gulf war one, but not as a weapon they used it to burn up the big pools of oil from the oil well fires after they where put out. they where also used a few times on oil slicks on the water

It was used on a few trenchlines in 2nd MarDiv ZOA during ODS.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Napalm has been replaced with Incendigel.  Works about the same but doesn't stick to women and children, only armed combatants.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Im sure we still have it in the stockpile.

About 5-8 years ago, the USA wanted to destroy the existing stock of napalm, and many communites refused to the let the train carrying the tank cars pass through their community on its way to the disposal site  saying that it was too dangerous.  I doubt if the USA has but a very small stock of that stuff, if any.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why did the military stop using it?

ETS
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

"It smells like................Victory!"
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah we use the old Napalm canisters as traveling carriers now. The pilots put their bags in there since there isn't exactly any room in the cockpit of an F-16 fighter jet. But yeah they say napalm is too inhumane to use anymore. Kind of like we can't use hollow points in our guns either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo!

You are correct real Napalm went out along time ago.  But the Marine Corps did use Mk77 flame bombs in ODS and twice in OIF, the first time on Safwan Hill and the 2nd time on the hostile side of the Tigris at the crossing at An Numenyah.

It was really pretty to watch.

Cool!

One interesting side-note is that what was originally called 'Napalm' and what was used from about the mid-point of the Vietnam War on were significantly different.  The second type is called Napalm B and is made up of a mixture of benzene (21%), gasoline (33%), and polystyrene (46%).  The Mk77 flame bombs use this second type, Napalm B.  It is far cheaper to produce, hence the change.  But there were enough stockpiles of Napalm left over from WWII and Korea that it wasn't until they were well into the Vietnam War that they came up with Napalm B.

The original Napalm was made by thickening gasoline with the aluminum salt of the fatty acids of coconut oil and olive oil, or naphthenic acid.  The patent I referenced goes into agonizing detail about this.  The U.S. was going to use natural rubber to thicken gasoline but the Japanese captured all the significant sources for natural rubber before the war began with the U.S.  Necessity is the Mother of Invention!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Styrafoam cups and gas works too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yeah we use the old Napalm canisters as traveling carriers now. The pilots put their bags in there since there isn't exactly any room in the cockpit of an F-16 fighter jet. But yeah they say napalm is too inhumane to use anymore. Kind of like we can't use hollow points in our guns either.

That's what B & D models are for.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to drive through this place twice daily:

Fallbrook CA Naval Weapons Station

And I quote:
"The last remnants of the nation’s napalm stockpile were stored at Fallbrook, and a state-of-the-art facility was built on base to help eliminate these weapons. The last full napalm canister was destroyed in March, 2001. Overall, the installation stores munitions with a monetary value of over 2 billion dollars. Several endangered or threatened species, including the Stevens kangaroo rat, the California gnatcatcher and the cactus wren, share the base with their Navy neighbors."
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I always like it when pilots come out with a huge set of fucking golf clubs and expect the crew chief to fit them in a travel pod.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#26]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm

In 1980, its use against civilian populations was banned by a United Nations convention.

International law does not prohibit the use of napalm or other incendiaries against military targets[3], but use against civilian populations was banned by a United Nations convention in 1980 [4]. The United States did not sign the agreement, but claimed to have destroyed its napalm arsenal by 2001.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top