Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2006 9:23:48 AM EDT
As I read the posts lately I see a lot of post about getting older. Well I thought I would add a few. Some of these may date you as to age after reading some replies I will post the year I was born to give you an Idea of my age.

Do You Remember When....
Coca cola was sold from horizontal vending machines for 25cents and in 6 oz green glass bottles
You could ride five miles to the little store on your bike and spend the 50 cents you had for a box of .22 ammo and you were 12
The TV was for watching the news by your parents
The windows were open at night in the summer
You worked all summer to earn money for a shotgun and you only needed a ride to the store to buy it not buy it for you
You could buy five shotgun shells from the store
You had rabbit traps in the winter for extra meat and you could sell the skins for Christmas money
A hardware store was for nails, guns, glass, paint, ammo, and small animal supplies
You got up early to finish you chores so you could spend the day in the fields and fishing
A meal came from the stove and not a microwave
Sunday was for church and family came over for a big meal
Bacon came from the family or the farmer you knew
Space food sticks were neat
Tang was a treat
Hot chocolate involved the stove and a pan not a package
Gas was 25cents a gallon
Lunchmeat came wrapped in paper
You got in trouble a school and you din't want to go home because you were going to get it a lot worse at home
The family car had a three on the tree
Baseball was what you did all day long in the summer
You worked all day heping build a house or loading hay and it was 100 degrees and at the end of the day they gave you a cold beer because you were a MAN now
If you got into a fight you were told to win, and the next day you were best friends with the kid you were fighing with

These are a few of mine feel free to post your own I think it will be interesting to see what some of you remember
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
As I read the posts lately I see a lot of post about getting older. Well I thought I would add a few. Some of these may date you as to age after reading some replies I will post the year I was born to give you an Idea of my age.

Do You Remember When....
Coca cola was sold from horizontal vending machines for 25cents and in 6 oz green glass bottlesno
You could ride five miles to the little store on your bike and spend the 50 cents you had for a box of .22 ammo and you were 12no

The TV was for watching the news by your parentsno

The windows were open at night in the summeryes
You worked all summer to earn money for a shotgun and you only needed a ride to the store to buy it not buy it for youno

You could buy five shotgun shells from the storeno

You had rabbit traps in the winter for extra meat and you could sell the skins for Christmas moneyno

A hardware store was for nails, guns, glass, paint, ammo, and small animal suppliesyes
You got up early to finish you chores so you could spend the day in the fields and fishingno

A meal came from the stove and not a microwaveyes
Sunday was for church and family came over for a big mealno

Bacon came from the family or the farmer you knewno

Space food sticks were neatno

Tang was a treatyes
Hot chocolate involved the stove and a pan not a packageno

Gas was 25cents a gallonno

Lunchmeat came wrapped in paperno

You got in trouble a school and you din't want to go home because you were going to get it a lot worse at homeyes
The family car had a three on the treeyes
Baseball was what you did all day long in the summerno

You worked all day heping build a house or loading hay and it was 100 degrees and at the end of the day they gave you a cold beer because you were a MAN nowno

If you got into a fight you were told to win, and the next day you were best friends with the kid you were fighing withno

These are a few of mine feel free to post your own I think it will be interesting to see what some of you remember

Sweet, I'm still not getting old
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#2]
damn, you are old
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Dang, I'm getting old, I can remember 90% of everything on the list.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do You Remember When....

You got up early to finish you chores so you could spend the day in the fields and fishing
You got in trouble a school and you din't want to go home because you were going to get it a lot worse at home
You worked all day heping build a house or loading hay and it was 100 degrees and at the end of the day they gave you a cold beer because you were a MAN now
If you got into a fight you were told to win, and the next day you were best friends with the kid you were fighing with

I remember those.

You got in trouble in the store and some stranger helped your dad catch you so he could give you a whoopin
You spent the entire summer outside, and ate dinner as fast as humanly possible to get back outside   before it was too dark to see.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Ya, Brother that is old.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#6]
What about riding for miles on a bicycle just to get to the comic/candy store. Even better yet just do it because you were bored . Dont see much of that anymore. We used to have little biker gangs. If someone would catch a flat tire we would ghost ride the bike to the nearest home and ride the extra passenger on the handlebars. Fix the flat then head back out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Do You Remember When....
Coca cola was sold from horizontal vending machines for 25cents and in 6 oz green glass bottles
You could ride five miles to the little store on your bike and spend the 50 cents you had for a box of .22 ammo (and chewing tobacco) and you were 12
You worked all summer to earn money for a shotgun and you only needed a ride to the store to buy it not buy it for you
You had rabbit traps in the winter for extra meat and you could sell the skins for Christmas money
A hardware store was for nails, guns, glass, paint, ammo, and small animal supplies
Tang was a treat
Gas was 25cents a gallon

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Guilty as charged.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember when 6 oz. Cokes were 10 cents youngster.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember taking my BB gun down to the creek behind the houses and shoot birds.

I also liked to shoot streetlights. They never broke but they did fill up with BBs.  

And 5 cent candy bars.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont think I was thought of then

Some of my oldest memories...

Gas was 59cents a gallon and you can get regular or unleaded
If you got into a fight you were told to win, and the next day you were best friends with the kid you were fighing with ( Still am )
Bacon came from the family or the farmer you knew (Grandfather was a farm hand on the weekends)

Reagan got elected

Beirut is one of the first things I remember about the news

I pledge alligance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands. One Nation under God indvisable with liberty and justice for all  ...  Was how every school day started in grade school

You got in trouble in the store and some stranger helped your dad catch you so he could give you a whoopin

Disco sucked

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Comic books were .10 or .15 cents and the titles were Sgt.Rock, Our World at War, etc.
You could carry a knife to school and even a rifle or shotgun at times.
Book reports were typed on a typewriter not a word processor.
Every kid had a BB gun.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I miss the witch burnings.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm too young to remember a lot of that stuff.

But boy do I miss it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Do You Remember When....
You could ride five miles to the little store on your bike and spend the 50 cents you had for a box of .22 ammo and you were 12
Tang was a treat
Gas was 25cents a gallon

I wish it was now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I hate to say it but you don't sound old you kinda sound like a redneck! No 'fence intended! Who the fuck has a pig they can slaughter? Or knows someone who does? Unless they lived on a farm? Even in 1920 you could'nt do that in NYC! Tang and space food treats? this has gotta be the 60's right? i was'nt born then but i think that was space race stuff right? As for TV, well up until the 70's most people in the sticks could'nt get it anyway cause reception was so bad. Well at least up in NY state mountain ranges.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I remember a few from that list...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#20]
[Homer] mmmmmmmmmmmm, space food sticks...[Homer]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Me and my brothers used to either ride our bikes with guns across the handlebars or hitchhike.And no one batted an eye!
Played baseball all summer,and football all winter.didn't know ANYONE really into basketball,and what the hell is soccer????
Left the house after breakfast and choresand didn't come back until suppertime.
Can't imagine letting kids do that nowadays.They're missing out on alot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
and what the hell is soccer????

Non-contact...for he most part. No pads necessary. Mommies like that I bet. I do remember my Mamma not liking it when I suited up for football, but I turned out alright...

Man, do I remember spakings. Kids just don't know what they are missing today.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#23]
A shotgun and rifle in the gun racks parked at school.  And missing out on a few dates cause there was always something dead in the back of my pickup.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I remember when I only had a 2400 baud modem. Man, those were the days.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Do You Remember When....
Coca cola was sold from horizontal vending machines for 25cents and in 6 oz green glass bottles Yes (20 cents)
You could ride five miles to the little store on your bike and spend the 50 cents you had for a box of .22 ammo and you were 12 Yes
The TV was for watching the news by your parents No I would watch the Vietnam War & Cronkite with Dad
The windows were open at night in the summer Yes
You worked all summer to earn money for a shotgun and you only needed a ride to the store to buy it not buy it for you Never Bought a Shotgun. Got to use and handle my Grandpa's Shotgun anytime I felt like it.
A hardware store was for nails, guns, glass, paint, ammo, and small animal supplies: More or Less, there were always handy things available. I don't recall any large hardware stores.
A meal came from the stove and not a microwave: Absolutely.
Sunday was for church and family came over for a big meal. Yes
Bacon came from the family or the farmer you knew (I'm not that old! But that was how it was for my Grandpa. In fact he and other neighboring farmers used to steal each others livestock)
Tang was a treat
Hot chocolate involved the stove and a pan not a package Yes
Gas was 25cents a gallon (23 Cents)
Lunchmeat came wrapped in paper Yes
You got in trouble a school and you din't want to go home because you were going to get it a lot worse at home Oh Hell Yeah
Baseball was what you did all day long in the summer Yes
You worked all day heping build a house or loading hay and it was 100 degrees and at the end of the day they gave you a cold beer because you were a MAN now. I wish, More like Lemondade or Dr. Pepper
If you got into a fight you were told to win, and the next day you were best friends with the kid you were fighing with. Sometimes

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Man.... I remember the good old days.

Like when your legs quit working..............................It's Polio!!!!

Or the fact that people never ever had more that one heart attack...............The first was always fatal!!!!

I could go on and on *sigh*.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A shotgun and rifle in the gun racks parked at school.  And missing out on a few dates cause there was always something dead in the back of my pickup.

I had the problem too
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I remember:

Riding my bicycle two miles to my friend's house
Riding my bicycle seven miles to school
Hitchhiking home from football, basketball, or track practice
Having to walk one mile from school to the hospital where my mom worked, wait until 8:00pm until she got off shift...if I didn't want to walk seven miles at 5:00pm
Being trusted with a Red Ryder BB at age 10
Dad bringing out his rifle and shotgun about once per year to shoot them in the field...unless there were woodchucks that needed killing
Getting a bunch of old clothes, putting them on, stuffing hay in all the openings, sitting down in a chair  beside the road holding a pumpkin with a bag over my head at Holloween. Whenever cars would go by I would jump up from the chair
Taking an old bike that my dad ran over with his dump truck, putting it on the side of the road along with a dummy me and my best friend made...and then smeared ketchup all over the road
BB gun wars
Walnut wars
Making $27 one fall by putting together a Haunted Trail in the woods behind my best friend's house
Making walking and dirt bike trails in the woods...for hours
Thinking that it was stressful to have to do chores for my parents (heheheh)
Hating my overprotective mother at times
Playing tackle football against my younger brother and cousin in the gravel driveway...even after dark
Wanting to be just like my dad
My two favorite toys: Legos and Matchbox Cars. Hot Wheels cars weren't quite as good, imo
When so many things each day were brand-new to me
Being a fairly new volunteer firefighter, pulling up to a fresh accident and asking the only policeman on the scene if he needed help...and being told to get the hell out of there
Being a fairly new volunteer firefighter and coming up on a fresh accident scene while on my way home from playing football one Sunday afternoon...and directing traffic at the intersections of Routes 21 and 44 for an hour...in my football uniform
Working construction with my cousin all day, lifting weights when we got home, running sprints after the weights, and then running laps around my field after dark
Being on a strict 7,000 calorie-a-day diet
Looking forward to school-clothes shopping day...and dreading it at the same time
My first few years of realizing that girls were beautiful creatures
Seeing an empty kissing booth at the local country fair when I was 13 and stepping into it for a while
Riding on the floor of my parents' 1950 Ford pickup while my dad drove on my left and my mom held my baby brother in her arms on my right
Being poor but never having to want for things I needed
Appreciating the internet, where someone hundreds of miles away can post a thread like this to get me to reminisce about my childhood....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes.  I remember it well.

Then again...I suspect I'm one of the original Old Farts here.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Space Food Sticks are coming back!

Here
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#31]
WoooHoooo space food sticks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#32]
You asked if I remember them.  Yes, I think I do.    

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#33]

I remember bringing a bucket full of COKE bottles to the store to get the deposit money and then spending it on a comic book or if I saved enough , a HOT ROD magazine .

I remember the Barber using a straight razor to shave my neck and sideburns .
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Ah djohns6.
The barbers chair, The "man place" no salon for us then. The talk, the magizines, and if your dad was a real regular, a cold beer for him from the back. We were not sheeple then.
And if you are not a recent resident to the bayou state, Blood boudan, a real Mardi Gras. a chicken run. Stores didn't sell Gumbo. Cajan music that was real. French/Arcadian
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember when a "snickers" bar was called a "Marathon "bar

Do you have them over there?

Taffy

I remember taking lemonade bottles back to the shop for the refunds on the bottles.
Then climbing over the back fence of the shop to retrieve the bottles to once again take them into the shop for refunds.....

Was that wrong?

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I remember when a "snickers" bar was called a "Marathon "bar

Do you have them over there?
Taffy

You are thinking of this...

Over here, we had this...

Color label...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember when Coke was made with sugar and not high-fruitoise corn syrup crap and McD's fries were made with peanut oil and not that corn oil....

You can get that from Mexico, though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Trying to place the flag, but my brain power is dulled right now. Marathon bar where was that?
Micky dees FF's with salt. How long has that been? And they were cooked in lard.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Remember when TV went from black and white to color? Shows were advertised as being shown "In Living Color" NBC peacock with color in the feathers.

Beer cans you needed to open by punching holes in them. Then the can pull tabs and the pull tab chains?
Those pull tabs were terrible on bare feet.

Counter checks. Local businesses had a stack of checkbooks on the counter for each of the local banks. People would grab a check from the right book and fill it out. No account name or numbers on the checks. Growing up I had a checking account I rarely used. I was overdrawn for about 4 months before I found out, because the banker said he knew we'd be in sooner or later to add money.

Riding home in the backseat of the car listening to radio mystery theater.

ETA: Candy bars were 10 cents and big, then the price aent to 15 cents, then 20 cents. Then the candy bars started getting smaller instead of proce increases.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Nothing except for the tang being a treat holds for me
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#41]

This is not right....

This is a "Curly Wurly" ( as we know them over here)

Marathon became "Snickers"...surely

Taffy
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Coca-Cola  10 cents

gasoline  19.9 cents per gallon

cigarettes  25 cents a pack

going to the drug store and buying a box of cigars for my dad for his birthday and on father's day... no questions when I went by myself!

pay telephone 10 cents... or if you hit the coin return as you dropped in a nickel, it was only 5 cents.

picking up pop bottles and beer bottles from the side of the road to return for a 2 cent deposit

milk at school was 2 cents

reel to reel tape recorders, the one my dad bought to replace his old wire recorder

dreaming in black & white (since TV was black & white)

penny candy

hearing my parents talk about some well to do family which lived in a big $10,000.00 house!
Unfortuately, where my mom still lives (in the house my dad built) there are still $10,000.00 homes.

New cars for well under $2,000.00

just off the top of my head!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I remember no TV only radio. Don McNeils (sp) Breakfast club, Lone Ranger. Green Hornet, Fibber MaGee and Molly, Intersanctum (sp).
In HS gas was 10-15 cents and they had gas wars (price)
Worked afer HS for .75 an hour
Army sold Cigarettes for 10 centsw a pack in the PX
Other stuff I should remember but I'm too old.
Gerry

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I remember the time before we had unleaded gas.
IIRC it was .17 per gallon
most everything from the original list too
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I remember when they were a nickle and came in a vending machine that had a big shoe-horn shaped handle on the front one pressed to dispense a coke. You young whipper-snapper!

I also remember gasoline at 24.9, cigaretts at 25 cents a pack, Wild Turkey Whiskey cost 4.50 a fifth, and you picked up your paper AND your milk on your front porch. I'm older tha God's dog.

In 1963 you could buy a Plymouth Fury III with a 383 and automatic transmission for $1295.00

Today don't hold a candle to it neither! They WERE the good ol days!

ETA: Incidently.....the alternative to getting older.....well, it's a bummer!!

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Do You Remember When....
Coca cola was sold from horizontal vending machines for 25cents and in 6 oz green glass bottles My old gun store still has one
You could ride five miles to the little store on your bike and spend the 50 cents you had for a box of .22 ammo and you were 12 actually even though I'm sure it was illegal, I used to pay a buck a box.
The TV was for watching the news by your parents and soap operas
The windows were open at night in the summer still are
You worked all summer to earn money for a shotgun and you only needed a ride to the store to buy it not buy it for you i wish
You could buy five shotgun shells from the store slugs?
You had rabbit traps in the winter for extra meat and you could sell the skins for Christmas money my grandpa has a lot of old traps, does that count?
A hardware store was for nails, guns, glass, paint, ammo, and small animal supplies and guns
You got up early to finish you chores so you could spend the day in the fields and fishing every summer
A meal came from the stove and not a microwave If I cook, it still does
Sunday was for church and family came over for a big meal To bad thats only a memory
Bacon came from the family or the farmer you knew  still does on occaison
Space food sticks were neat  They have those at the museum
Tang was a treat now it's just nasty
Hot chocolate involved the stove and a pan not a package Christmas morning traditionGas was 25cents a gallon  I wish, 1.25 when I started driving
Lunchmeat came wrapped in paper still does for me
You got in trouble a school and you din't want to go home because you were going to get it a lot worse at home  It was like that for me.
The family car had a three on the tree before my time but seen plenty in friends hot rods
Baseball was what you did all day long in the summer on occaison
You worked all day heping build a house or loading hay and it was 100 degrees and at the end of the day they gave you a cold beer because you were a MAN now I still work all day doing that and all I want is a cold whiskey and a shower
If you got into a fight you were told to win, and the next day you were best friends with the kid you were fighing with  many times, actually made some good friends that way.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I remember me and my friends keeping our shotguns in the trunks of our cars so we could go duck hunting after school.  I remember an older guy telling me they used to have a gun rack in the principles office to hold your shotgun so you could hunt to and from school.  Maybe it's time to being a new country that doesn't allow lawyers, politicians, or nutjob liberals.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember when they were a nickle and came in a vending machine that had a big shoe-horn shaped handle on the front one pressed to dispense a coke. You young whipper-snapper!

I also remember gasoline at 24.9, cigaretts at 25 cents a pack, Wild Turkey Whiskey cost 4.50 a fifth, and you picked up your paper AND your milk on your front porch. I'm older tha God's dog.

In 1963 you could buy a Plymouth Fury III with a 383 and automatic transmission for $1295.00

Today don't hold a candle to it neither! They WERE the good ol days!

I lived in the country, our milkman came once a week. We left the front door unlocked(didn't have a key for it anyway) and he'd put the milk in the friDge, and ice cream in the freezer.

We'd place softball in a cow pasture, you REALLY didn't want to slide into second, which was often a cowpie
This thread is really sparking some memories
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top