Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 9:37:53 PM EDT

news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=28432006

Cyclist's near miss with RAF jet's fuel tank

RHIANNON EDWARD

A CYCLIST said he thought he was going to die after an auxiliary fuel tank from an RAF Harrier jet fell from the sky and missed him by inches.

A military investigation was under way yesterday following the incident, which happened when the aircraft was on a routine training flight from RAF Cottesmore near Peterborough.

The empty, 10ft-long metal tank landed on a grass verge near the A3124 road at Winkleigh, Devon, police said.

Les Sprason, who lives in the village, said the fuel tank had spiralled over his head while he cycled along the country road.

"I thought, I am going to die because it is going to explode, and this is me finished," he said.

The tank fell from the jet and landed in a field with a dull thud. Mr Sprason added: "It came over the road, over my head, somersaulting, and impacted into a hedgerow. It ruptured itself, and the aviation fuel was pouring out."

An RAF spokesman said that the auxiliary tank "came away" from the aircraft and was not jettisoned.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
crybaby.

I'd be telling bitches at the bar that the RAF was trying to bomb me and missed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
crybaby.

I'd be telling bitches at the bar that the RAF was trying to bomb me and missed.

AYE!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Time for the TIN FOIL hat to on....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
crybaby.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Lucky for him the ignitor didn't work on the napalm.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#6]
You have to wonder how many people got taken out in Europe during WWII from all the drop tanks released over there.  Imagine a squadron of Thunderbolts or Mustangs dropping them to scatter over the French or German countryside.  (Not to mention the flaming aircraft shortly thereafter).

Incoming!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top