Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 9:37:44 PM EDT
When I was young and very very stupid I saved my entire CD collection to my computer's hard drive.........on Real Audio Media format.  I didn't know the difference, and after the first one, it was automatic.

(Yeah yeah yeah I'm stupid...Real Player is glorified spam...... Real Audio sucks,  yes I know this.......whatever.)

So my question is: can I load my Real Audio files into a new MP3 player of ANY brand?  There is a converter out there for $25 from Realvideopro.com( or something like that) but I'd rather just load onto an MP3 player if possible.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Re-rip 'em!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Re-rip 'em!

All 8 gigabytes worth?

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#3]
While it'll take you a while to re-rip everything, I think that's your best option. I don't know of a converter from Realplayer to Mp3. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edit...found that I was wrong. Go here and try this out: ozzmosis.sensationcontent.com/realaudio.html

It took you a while to rip them the first time; it'll take you a while to do it over again right. Pop an CD in the computer and convert while you surf the Net. Before you know it, you have made a lot of progress.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Re-rip 'em!

All 8 gigabytes worth?

That aint shiet boy, most of the guys I work with have atleast 20-40 gigs each!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
While it'll take you a while to re-rip everything, I think that's your best option. I don't know of a converter from Realplayer to Mp3. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edit...found that I was wrong. Go here and try this out: ozzmosis.sensationcontent.com/realaudio.html

It took you a while to rip them the first time; it'll take you a while to do it over again right. Pop an CD in the computer and convert while you surf the Net. Before you know it, you have made a lot of progress.

This looks potentially very helpful, thank you very much.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Re-rip 'em!

All 8 gigabytes worth?

That aint shiet boy, most of the guys I work with have atleast 20-40 gigs each!!!

After working over 100 hours per week (and not near a PC) and family commitments, I really can't re-rip over 1000 songs.  It was a miracle to get it done the first time to begin with.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All 8 gigabytes worth?

Pretty much.

Conversions from various compression formats can be tricky and can cause a loss of sound quality.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Do any MP3 players handle the Real Audio sound files?

Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do any MP3 players handle the Real Audio sound files?

Anyone?

I don't know of any offhand.

Some of the RIO players might, as I think Real had some sort of buisness deal with RIO a while back, but I don't remember.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I found the answer.  According to the Real Spam website:

"RealPlayer 10.5 supports more portable devices than ever before, including Apple's iPod and most Windows Media Devices. Most work by simply plugging them in, but you can ensure you get the most up to date features and support by installing your device from the list below. If you don't have it already, click here to get RealPlayer 10.5."

It looks like if I hook up a MP3 player, most major brands will be supported.

BTW:  I do NOT recommend the Real Media format.  As per the intro post, I naively started using it long ago.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top