Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2006 9:13:33 PM EDT
Well, I did a search and didn't see anyting on this....so no dupes please...

Anyway, I have a small ingrown toenail on my right big toe and was looking to reduce the irritation.

I ground up an advil with a spoon in a ceramic bowl then added a few drop of hot water to make a thick paste.  I spread the mixture around the sore area where the skin meet the toe nail, kinda tried to push it down in there too.  Finished by covering with a couple bandaids.

Well about 45 minutes later the pain is significantly reduced and I think I should be able to sleep with no problem.

Pretty good pain remedy if anyone ever gets these.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive had to cut a few of my own out, its not pleasant
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Pain is weakness, just pull it out
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ive had to cut a few of my own out, its not pleasant

surgical clamps and x-acto knives are awesome for that
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, I had those things something fierce when I was younger.

My mom ( a dentist, God rest her soul) used to shoot my toe up with novacaine and then go digging. Sometimes, I just toughed it out.

Either way, it SUCKED!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Get two sets of nail clippers use the little piece that you get dirt out with, Dig out the ingrown part. while you have it up on one pair of clippers cut it with the other pair. Or go to the doctor and have them cut the nail off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Get two sets of nail clippers use the little piece that you get dirt out with, Dig out the ingrown part. while you have it up on one pair of clippers cut it with the other pair. Or go to the doctor and have them cut the nail off.

I use needlenose pliers and a set of sidecutters.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Man, I had those things something fierce when I was younger.

My mom ( a dentist, God rest her soul) used to shoot my toe up with novacaine and then go digging. Sometimes, I just toughed it out.

Either way, it SUCKED!

Been there, done that, without the novicane.

If you are careful about how you walk and put on your socks (IE dont bang around on shit where your nail will get caught on something), cut a "V" in the middle of your toenail, about 1/8-1/4 inch deep (before the quick).  This will cause your toenail to grow towards the middle and out of your flesh.

But like I said, BE CAREFUL about how you cut and how you walk around.  If the nail splits down the middle (and it shouldnt as long as you arent hanging it up on stuff), it WILL FUCKING HURT!!!.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Suck it up and dig it out.

I always get a pair of pointed clippers and start snipping down the side until I get it all out.  Not fun, but a lot more pleasant (and cheaper) than going to a doc for it.  I went to the doc for an ingrown toenail once...never again!

Gus
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I caught my last one before it got too far along. Take a long hot shower that'll soften the toenail. Once out of the shower, pry the nail out of the toe and wedge a piece of folded paper between the nail and toe to keep the nail from digging into the toe.

It kept the nail out of the wound, allowing the toe to heal, and the toenail to grow long enough to where it wasn't a problem.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Get an Xacto knife or similar scalpeish thing and a couple of hemostats, something to bit on and have fun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I never really have had to cut or dig them out...usually they go away within about 3 days...it is just managing the pain of walking and bumping into things.

Like I said, this is a small one and should be ok by tomorrow.

Or, maybe it is not ingrown, but I don't know what else to call it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been prone to them since I was a teenager, and I have a foolproof fix that has kept me pain-free for the last 20 years.

Get a metal nail file (a full size one, not the crappy swing-out thing on nail clippers) and file a flat across the whole top middle of your toenail. Keep filing until the heat becomes uncomfortable; now you have thinned the middle of the nail, and over the next few days it will curve upwards slightly and reduce the downward pressure at the edge of the nail.

This cures the problem everytime for me... now I know, by the feel,  when the nail is starting to grow inwards, and 2 minutes with the file heads off the problem before it starts. Give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 2 that I cut out on a regular basis.  Soften them with warm soapy water soaks at night to relieve some of the pressure.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#16]
what sucks is when you miss a small piece & it grow sideways into the flesh Then you end up with a toe full of puss & cant figure out why because its so far down into the side Your better off just going to the doctor. The half dozen shots he injects into your toe will hurt more then the removal of the nail itself.

eta

do a Google image search with "ingrown nail" yay fun!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've been prone to them since I was a teenager, and I have a foolproof fix that has kept me pain-free for the last 20 years.

Get a metal nail file (a full size one, not the crappy swing-out thing on nail clippers) and file a flat across the whole top middle of your toenail. Keep filing until the heat becomes uncomfortable; now you have thinned the middle of the nail, and over the next few days it will curve upwards slightly and reduce the downward pressure at the edge of the nail.

This cures the problem everytime for me... now I know, by the feel,  when the nail is starting to grow inwards, and 2 minutes with the file heads off the problem before it starts. Give it a try.

So you file from the middle part of the beginging of the nail to the end near the point of the tow(where you cut them)???  In otherwords file like a 0.25 inch flat part out along the center of the toe?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to get them all the time. It's from cutting your nails improperly.

Fix = cut a "V" as deep as you can stand it in the middle of the nail and let the rest grow out, keep trimming the "V" as deep into the quick as you can stand while letting the ingrown part grow out. After a while it grows out.

Prevent = let your nail grow out over the place where it is in contact with any skin under any pressure and never cut back further than that.

My Doctor told me most people cut their nails to short.

Since I started cutting this way I've not had one in years.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 wrt the X-Acto knife...

Use a new #11 blade, and carefully score along the offending edge of the nail until you're just through... you'll know when it's through... and pull the piece out with a pair of tweezers.

To help prevent this from occuring in the future, try to cut your toenails straight across, rather than curved. Notice that the larger toenail clippers you buy are straight, and the smaller fingernail clippers are curved. This should be a good indicator of what's the favored (proper) procedure.

DO NOT go to the doctor! I knew someone who went to a doctor for this, and they took off his entire toenail. He was told that it would never grow back.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Easiest way to pull out an ingrown is with a medium size paper clip.  Stand it on end next to the ingrown toenail and push down untill it pops up over the edge of the paper clip, then pull up slowly.  Works 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Dig or cut it out!

If you dig, get under the nail and work around the edge(toward the ingrown part), It WILL hurt but will feel SO good when you are done
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I didnt like digging them out right after a hot shower cuase it was softer and seemed harder to grab, but i learned did work was spraying CHLOROSEPTIC on it to numb it a little, then just pull/trim that fucker up.  and dont forget to squeeze all the pus out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I had ingrown toenail in both toes, once when I was 13 and the other 19.

I went to doctor for both and it worked. I'd suggest doctor's handy work for this problem. It doesn't hurt to get surgery. Local anesthesic and it won't hurt even a bit.

As someone said above, cutting toenails in straight line is better.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Snip-fu...

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Take a shower to soften it up, then rub anbesol on it to numb it and rub ice on it to shrink the irrated tissue and numb it further, then cut that sucker out!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#27]
That bad, huh?

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#28]
The thing that seems to work best for me, is to take a sharp needle and poke a hole in the toe right on the swollen part. Squeeze the Pus out, and hit it with some peroxide. After you get the majority of the swelling out, there should be less pressure holding the ingrown nail in, so you can then go to work on the nail with an xacto knife and a pair of tweezers until you can get it out from under the flesh and cut that crap out. Then hit it with a bunch more peroxide, pulling the flesh of the toe a bit away from the side of the nail to let it get in there and kill all the infection.

Getting rid of the infection is the important part. The actual ingrown nail part is a rather small part of it, the infection is what makes it such a pain in the ass.

This is if it's ingrown near the end of the toe, which is all I've ever had. If it's ingrown further in things might get more complicated though. And if it is a chronic situation, go see the doc and have it fixed for good.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Let the podiatist do it. Had it done 3 times on the big toes. One was done twice because they messed up the last time. Once they remove the nail, it should be good for life with proper maintenance. If you do it yourself,

1. Soak your foot in a small tub of lukewarm water with 3 capfuls of iodine. The water should be at  
    least the color of tea.

2. Soak said foot for 20-30 minutes. When done, dry foot.

3. Then take a band-aid and put a drop of iodine on it and place it on the recovering nail.

Do this for at least 10 days or until the nail heals. If necessary, use thin tweezers to clean it out. All that lint, cotton, paper or any crap from the band-aids and socks will fill it in. It will hurt like a biatch tho.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Though it has been awhile, I have had my fair share of ingrown toenails that I've cut out myself...but this paperclip procedure sounds like one hell of an idea.

I will add this though. Want one helluva local anesthetic you can administer yourself?  Sit cross-legged on the floor for about a half an hour...whatever it takes to put your leg to sleep and nothing but a numb slab of meat.  Helps alot.

Quoted:
Easiest way to pull out an ingrown is with a medium size paper clip.  Stand it on end next to the ingrown toenail and push down untill it pops up over the edge of the paper clip, then pull up slowly.  Works 90% of the time.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#31]
A multi tool might work good.  I've had a bunch of these and had them worked on by a Doc 3 times.  One of the times the painkiller hand't kicked in yet and I felt him rip it off my toe.  That's probably the most physical pain I've ever felt.  One of mine he put something in it so it wouldn't grow back, only it kind of does on the sides so I still have to use pliers and yank it out every few months.

Maybe I'll take a pic and post it later...

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:55:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
pry the nail out of the toe and wedge a piece of folded paper between the nail and toe to keep the nail from digging into the toe.

Similar to what I do, I pack it out with cotton wool dipped in rubbing alcohol to keep it from getting infected and 'lift' the nail away from the skin.  Change daily for a couple of weeks. Works just fine.

Trick is to catch it early so that the nail is 'trained'
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#33]
those can be nasty, once I let one go to long. it hurt so bad i couldn't sleep, got up in the middle of the night, stubbed my toe, about shit my pants, but the puss and blood squirted all over.  Once I squeezed out the rest of the puss, and cut the nail, no problem.  Only been that bad once, never again. what amazed me was how much puss came out of the damn thing.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I have used cutting pliers and small needle-nosed pliers in the past.  It isn't very pleasant, but it is very effective.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#36]
needlenose pliers.

bent the ingrown part back, way back, and cut that part off.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#37]
For those that say suck it up and cut / dig it out, they must not have had a real bad one...

I used to get them, and when talking to the doctor, he said cutting a V in the nail will not help.  Certain people's nails have a different shape than others.  Mine, for example, are cupped on the edges.  If you look at a general nail, it will be a slight curve.  Mine is like that, except the edges are cupped down (if you hold your hand out like you were shaking hands, imagine that a profile a normal nail.  Now curl your fingers 90*, and that's what some people have).

Socks / shoes, didn't matter.  Once, while wearing shoes, I stubbed my toe.  Didn't hurt at all.  But that cracked the nail down far enough that it became ingrown.  That thing was not going to be cut out.

My Advice:
Go to an orthopedic surgeon, and have him cut it out.  Then have him trim the borders.  This narrows your toenail so that you will never get them again.  I used to get a few a year, and haven't had one since I had the procedure done in 2000.

Here is a link on what they do: www.foottalk.com/d_ingrown_procedure.html.  I had both big toes done, and both sides of each toe.  There was ZERO pain when he did it, and I mowed the yard when I got home.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#38]
there is a wonderful way to fix them without cutting and going through those surgeries that don't work.  i had one that would not go away and had it "fixed" twice.  finally went to an orthapedic surgeon who told me how to fix it.  you need to pack it with sterile iodine packing guaze- sorry i don't know where to get it.  

the trick is to pack it in under the nail in the corner that's ingrown- and then run it over and pack it between the nail and the skin that borders the nail- then secure the packing with a bandaid- repack it twice daily.  this will take about a week to fix it- but it will work and that way you don't have to cut it.  packing it the first time will hurt, bad- but certainly not as bad as an at home surgery experiment.  

remember that you do in fact have an infection down there so you want to be clean about this- don't use something that's not sterile to do this.  and of course if you lose your toe it's not my fault.  but i did this and it worked wonders.

edit- this stuff in 1/4"kckmedical.com/kl7831.html

if you need any clarification just im
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#39]
the non invasive way i deal with it . soak your foot in hot water with epsom salt 2 /3 times a day for a couple of days. my docter friends all want to cut you but one told me to try this and it worked. it also gets rid of the infection
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#40]
The doc gave me like six shots around the big toe, then cut the nail down the middle and ripped the bad side off.  Hurt like hell, the shots that is.  Never had another ingrown nail again.  Its been almost twenty years now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you file from the middle part of the beginging of the nail to the end near the point of the tow(where you cut them)???  In otherwords file like a 0.25 inch flat part out along the center of the toe?

Yes, that's correct. Here is an action-shot I created just for you... file the black area as flat as you can:

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#42]
fuck.

I didn't wanna see that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
fuck.

I didn't wanna see that.

What are you complaining about... now I have black permanent marker all over my big toe
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
fuck.

I didn't wanna see that.

What are you complaining about... now I have black permanent marker all over my big toe

Ah... ic.

Still, it made me cringe.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#45]
tag.

I have two ingrown toenails but they only hurt from time to time.   I'll have to try JaredB's suggestion.  I dug in with the little knife type section and it didn't completely pull it out.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I mostly lurk here but I feel compelled to chime in on my experience with ingrown toenails.   I have suffered (and I mean SUFFERED) with ingrown toenails since I was 12 and just last year got my ingrown toenail problem fixed (I was 29 then).  

My advice is to go to a podiatrist.  The shot will hurt but the relief you will feel for the rest of your life will be priceless.  I'll admit I was a wuss for not wanting to go in the first place but man was I glad when I got it fixed correctly.  I have used just about every tool you can imagine to "dig" mine out but they would never go away.  I remember many episodes of nasty blood and puss stained socks, stubbing an inflamed toe and seeing stars, sleepless nights, and hobbling around.

If you ever get them with some regularity go to a podiatrist.  He/she will numb it with a shot, narrow the nail (ie. cut it), and deaden the nail bed so it will not grow back.  Some docs will just cut the nail, but the problem will usually come back unless they deaden the nail bed to inhibit regrowth.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I occassionally get ingrown toe nails.  I try to manage mine by growing my out straight and cutting them straight across the top, not rounded.  

You might try soaking your foot in epsom salts before working with your nail.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#48]
If you get them with any kind of regularity, why the hell wouldn't you go to the Dr.? I used to get them on both big toes when I was younger, didn't matter whether I cut the nails or not, just the way they grew I guess. Went to the Podiatrist, a couple shots of Novacaine, a few snips, a little digging, and some acid for good measure......Never had another one since. It's been about 16 years now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#49]
chances are it has been there a while - the irritation is because it is now infected
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Blagga, you got some funky toes y0!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top