Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 8:42:49 PM EDT
Interesting, but shouldn't anybody with a permit be allowed to carry on public property since people intent on shooting up schools don't follow the law in the first place. The real question with the school officials having the right to carry around large groups of children is of course " Are they professional enough and will the Glock Forte be allowed ? "

Bill permits school officials to carry firearms

By The Associated Press

Principals and school superintendents could carry guns on school property under a bill filed with the 2006 Oklahoma Legislature.
The measure, by Rep. Glen Bud Smithson, would allow top school officials to carry firearms on school property if they have a gun permit and approval of the school board.

"Our school administrators, especially in rural areas, need to be able to protect their students when violence erupts in the schools," said Smithson, D-Sallisaw, a retired state trooper and firearm safety instructor.

A news release from Smithson quoted Supt. Lucky McCrary of Belfonte School District as saying he is as concerned about burglary and vandalism after school hours as he is about violence while school is in session.

"When an incident takes place in my school, whether during school hours or in the middle of the night, I am the first line of protection for my students, staff and property," McCrary said.

He said his school is 17 miles away from Muldrow, the nearest municipality, and it could take an officer more than half an hour to get to the school.

"I need the authority to protect those I have been entrusted to protect, if necessary," McCrary said.

http://www.newsok.com/xml/rss/1726448/
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That's something I don't like about our CCW law here in Missouri, is that we can't legally carry in schools or churches. (Unless the pastor gives permission for the church). It's stupid not to protect our kids.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]
finally we start to see some common sense.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Step in the right direction.  Next up:  the parents.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Interesting, but shouldn't anybody with a permit be allowed to carry on public property since people intent on shooting up schools don't follow the law in the first place. The real question with the school officials having the right to carry around large groups of children is of course " Are they professional enough and will the Glock Forte be allowed ? "

Bill permits school officials to carry firearms

By The Associated Press

Principals and school superintendents could carry guns on school property under a bill filed with the 2006 Oklahoma Legislature.
The measure, by Rep. Glen Bud Smithson, would allow top school officials to carry firearms on school property if they have a gun permit and approval of the school board.

"Our school administrators, especially in rural areas, need to be able to protect their students when violence erupts in the schools," said Smithson, D-Sallisaw, a retired state trooper and firearm safety instructor.

A news release from Smithson quoted Supt. Lucky McCrary of Belfonte School District as saying he is as concerned about burglary and vandalism after school hours as he is about violence while school is in session.

"When an incident takes place in my school, whether during school hours or in the middle of the night, I am the first line of protection for my students, staff and property," McCrary said.

He said his school is 17 miles away from Muldrow, the nearest municipality, and it could take an officer more than half an hour to get to the school.

"I need the authority to protect those I have been entrusted to protect, if necessary," McCrary said.

http://www.newsok.com/xml/rss/1726448/

Well said, Mr. McCrary. Pastor Will Dougan couldn't have said it any better (see my sig line).  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]
This isn't too much different than Kentucky is currently.  KRS 237.110 paragraph 13(f) prohibits the carry of concealed deadly weapons in "Any elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of school authorities..."

I would say I am more likely to pilot the space shuttle than get said consent, but I guess technically/legally it is possible.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
After all, it's not like the long history of concealed carry holders just unsheathing their Magnum Research .44 auto-mags and hosing down a line of first-graders should have any negative effect.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If that past in my "town"  I would pull my kids from the school the day it past.  I'm not anti-gun at all but I am anti-stupid-people-with-guns.  At the public school in my town there have been teachers who threw chairs and apples across the room and they are still there.  Now give them a gun???  I think not.  I guess it depends on what the people are like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top