Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 6:37:32 PM EDT
So did you get the required FCC license?  Or did you skip that part?

Adding a poll so to keep it secret.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
One of us is BREAKING the Law!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, but only because I have a HAM license and on the off chance I got caught using gmrs channels I didn't want it to somehow fuck up my HAM license
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yes, but only because I have a HAM license and on the off chance I got caught using gmrs channels I didn't want it to somehow fuck up my HAM license

Seems like a good plan for your reason.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not much chance of getting caught but I got the license for the same reason. Not worth the risk. Been a ham for 36 years now and I really enjoy the hobby.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
My career hinges on not screwing up my FCC priviliges.  If I were to use GMRS Freq's, I'd get a license since it is cheap and easy to get.  That being said, I will let you know that it will probably take the FCC around two weeks to locate a pirate radio station but that's only if someone complains.  The FCC is notoriously understaffed and therefore doesn't give a rat's ass about GMRS unless there is a problem.  There are agencies that can monitor every RF radiation source but the FCC ain't one of them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont think mine came with a card or anything
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#8]
A buddy of mine and I bought a pair from the PX to use during our deployment.  Someone just walked up to us out of the blue and gave us a short speech about needing the FCC license to use them.  I just sort of looked at him and mentioned something about deploying.  "Oh, you're going over there, nevermind." I had to fight to keep from being a smartass as for all I knew he was a full bird or CSM.

These are sort of like the CB radio licenses that were required in the 70's from what I've heard.  You were supposed to have them, but very few actually did.

Oh, also from what I've read/heard you need the license if your radio has the freqs on them whether you use them or not. I guess you are supposed to be license for the potential use.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a hoot to listen to the dweebs on the radio bitching about unlicensed operators.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's a hoot to listen to the dweebs on the radio bitching about unlicensed operators.

+1 No shit

somewhere there is a site dedicated to such sniveling.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:13:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I love my FRMS/GRMS radios; they are useless at any large event where every damn frequency is buried in "Where are you", "testing", "Are you on this channel", "I'm over here", and every other useless, inane chatter, clicks, and whistles you can imagine.

And then half the time, take one to a long range practice or match, and half the people can't follow operating instructions.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:22:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I love my FRMS/GRMS radios; they are useless at any large event where every damn frequency is buried in "Where are you", "testing", "Are you on this channel", "I'm over here", and every other useless, inane chatter, clicks, and whistles you can imagine.

And then half the time, take one to a long range practice or match, and half the people can't follow operating instructions.

I had a guy running all over the NRA convention last year. "Hey Bill where are you?" ME: I am over by the "insert booth of choice here". It took him a few times to figure it out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:07:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a ton of shit to do before I get my FCC license for my $20 little walkie talkies.

Namely ripping some mattress tags off and making copies of a football game without the express written consent of the National Football League.

Once I get done with that business, I'll get right on that little license thingie. You betcha.

To think those pesky Forefathers went to war over 13% taxes and high tea prices. Gosh, they'd never survive in today's world. They'd be throwing GMRS radios at the FCC building, me thinks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:21:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've got a ton of shit to do before I get my FCC license for my $20 little walkie talkies.

Namely ripping some mattress tags off and making copies of a football game without the express written consent of the National Football League.

Hide your dog and I hope you have a good lawyer
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:25:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
To think those pesky Forefathers went to war over 13% taxes and high tea prices. Gosh, they'd never survive in today's world. They'd be throwing GMRS radios at the FCC building, me thinks.

Just think you could live in that SAVAGE nation called the U.K and have to pay a $200 tax for over the air TV. Those fucking idiots are now trying to add a computer tax. Nation of slaves if you ask me. OTOH we are not much better.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I got mine, cause I'm a legit kind of person.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I got mine, cause I'm a legit kind of person.

Silly law though, right?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I can'ts read so howz am I posed to fils it out to senz it ein
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Do you still need one if you only use the FRS feature ? I never transmit on GMRS.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#23]
You supposed to get a license for those things? Yeah, that will happen.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#24]
What does a unrestricted radiotelephone operator's license cover? My son and I got ours on 3-1-84 under a last chance type licensing program. They were a free lifetime licence and no testing required. If I remember correctly after 6-1-84(?) there was all kinds of testing and requirement added for the license.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You supposed to get a license for those things? Yeah, that will happen.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#26]
When did you ever even see anyone from FCC?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I looked into it the other day, and the license is $80.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#28]
No way in hell I'm gonna pay $75 for a 5-year license to use a $40 pair of radios that I rarely use.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Is the license good for the family or does each radio operator need to be licensed?  Also, does a technician license work for the GMRS frequencies?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top