Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 5:50:26 PM EDT
I'm one.

Did 4 speeches already.

I'm going to be the toastmaster on tuesday.

Toastmaster = public speaking club

not a guy who warms bread in a dungeon, or says "here's to you" while drinking a beer

On an unrelated note, my concealed carry firearm of choice is :

sweeeeet.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Thought about it several times.

Are you required to speak at each event, or can you just observe until you feel comfortable?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thought about it several times.

Are you required to speak at each event, or can you just observe until you feel comfortable?

you can sit there and not join in as long as you want.  it's all designed to sort of ease you into speaking.

I was so uptight at the first meeting that my jaw hurt afterward from clenching my teeth.   I just sat there.

Basically it is an ideal opportunity to learn public speaking in the presence of very good natured and easygoing people.

It sucks being afraid of public speaking.

Try it out.  What do you have to lose?

www.toastmasters.org/
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've been yappin' in front of crowds from 1 to 5,000 since I was a kid.  I guess I'm either disqualified or overqualified...  

-Troy

I don't know if you can be "overqualified".  Some of the toastermasters give truly outstanding speeches.  They have international competitions.

How is it that you speak in from of so many people?  Are you a preacher?  Musician?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been yappin' in front of crowds from 1 to 5,000 since I was a kid.  I guess I'm either disqualified or overqualified...  

-Troy

I don't know if you can be "overqualified".  Some of the toastermasters give truly outstanding speeches.  They have international competitions.

How is it that you speak in from of so many people?  Are you a preacher?  Musician?

He counts his posts on ar15.com as speeches
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

-Troy

Or you just can't be quiet   hehe
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the thing: I totally can.  To the point that some people literally go crazy, and either have to turn on the TV or talk non-stop themselves.  I have that rare gift to KNOW WHEN TO SHUT UP.  

-Troy

I like to do that to annoying people sometimes, for a goof    I'll just let em talk and talk and talk, and watch em squirm, when they finally stop, and the silence kills them, hahaha

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Toastmaster= A very good toaster.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]
ex gf was in the tm club here, great place to network...she was a bitch though...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the thing: I totally can.  To the point that some people literally go crazy, and either have to turn on the TV or talk non-stop themselves.  I have that rare gift to KNOW WHEN TO SHUT UP.  

-Troy

Can you teach that shutting up tjing to some ladies I know?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top