Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 3:16:36 PM EDT
Think about it for a minute. Public policy on carrying pistols is somewhat shaped by the size of the pistols, ie, it seems as though the general consensus is many people don't want you to carry a small handgun on your person because it's too concealable.

On the flip side, the general consensus from society (and in law itself) is that only small blades are legal. Anyone on the street caught with a bigger knife (Ka-bar or Bucknife) by police is going to wear bracelets.

Kinda funny, if you ask me. They don't like small guns, but only allow small knives.

Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Think about it for a minute. Public policy on carrying pistols is somewhat shaped by the size of the pistols, ie, it seems as though the general consensus is many people don't want you to carry a small handgun on your person because it's too concealable.

On the flip side, the general consensus from society (and in law itself) is that only small blades are legal. Anyone on the street caught with a bigger knife (Ka-bar or Bucknife) by police is going to wear bracelets.

Kinda funny, if you ask me. They don't like small guns, but only allow small knives.

Hmmmm.

Even the big knife can be hidden pretty easily, and is a lot deadlier than the small knife would be my guess at the logic.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorta related...

Here in San Antonio, you can CHL.

But law states you can not carry a knife with a locking blade.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
That "no locking blades" thing is a San Antonio ordnance only.

But non-locking blades are safety hazards.  There are many jobs that a pocket knife is a necessity.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Public policy on carrying pistols is somewhat shaped by the size of the pistols, ie, it seems as though the general consensus is many people don't want you to carry a small handgun on your person because it's too concealable.

What do you base this on? I've never heard of a law or policy restricting pistol size.

What I'm saying is, it seems as though there's a thought or a movement to restrict "small, cheap, easily concealable" pistols (Saturday Night Specials, anybody?), whereas they only let you carry small, easily concealable knives.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That "no locking blades" thing is a San Antonio ordnance only.

But non-locking blades are safety hazards.  There are many jobs that a pocket knife is a necessity.

I called SA LEO quite a while back, and had a decent conversation with an LEO.

He said the law was put in place back in the 70s when everyone was carrying a Buck knife.

I told him it was kinda crazy I could CHL, but not carry a locking blade knife - he just laughed or something equally agreeable.

He told me the dollar amount of the fine, but heck if I can remember.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top