Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2006 1:44:25 PM EDT
Reviews say it's "the bloodiest movie ever" and "how did it even get an R rating and not NC-17".

Is this true or is it just gross to libtard film critics?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
good guys shoot bad guys-type film?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
No, torture and body parts.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to see it tonight.  I love horror movies (especially zombie movies!).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like trash to me. I hate that kind of crap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
American History X???  What part?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
American History X???  What part?

Bite the curb would be my guess.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Bite the curb would be my guess

criminals being punished...thats a good thing
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Pulp Fiction?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#11]
It's not about libtard film critics, It's about marketing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#12]
If Quentin Tarrentino has anything to do with a horror movie, I will not see it...

I liked Kill Bill 1 and 2 but that man is just sick...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]

It's not about libtard film critics, It's about marketing

Im reading this of indipendant reviews
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not gonna see that gay cowboy movie!
Its an abomination I tell you!

Oh.. wrong movie.

Never mind.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]
You have to watch this movie to clean out the gay cowboy movie from your system.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
The commercials were enough to freak me out. Don't think I could handle the movie....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't watched those slasher/ gore movies in years. There are enough other movies that I want to watch  that I wind up missing and have to wait for the DVD release.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Pulp Fiction?

Gimp cornholing Marcellus Wallace.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pulp Fiction?

I thought it was Jed that was cornholing him?

"Who's Jed"

"Jed's dead baby, lets go"
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pulp Fiction?

"Who's Jed"

"Jed's dead baby, lets go"

ZED
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I can't believe no one has seen this movie yet....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll wait till DVD
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If Quentin Tarrentino has anything to do with a horror movie, I will not see it...

you'll learn to appreciate gory madness after you finally hit puberty
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL, nice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

i'm gonna see it this weekend....

will post review if no one else does first
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Why would anybody want to put that refuse into their brain?  I'm not going to see the poo pushing cowboy farce either.  You don't need to watch a movie to realize it's nothing worth witnessing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag for the reviews.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It only came out today, right? Most of us work.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pulp Fiction?

"Who's Jed Zed"

"Jed's Zed'sdead baby, lets goZed's dead"

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Another libtard hypocritical point: Blaming violent video games for everything that goes wrong with the world but saying nothing about a movie like this that is nothing but nudity, curse words, and people being sliced open and having their body parts thrown around.

It's ridiculous that this sort of horrific movie is released to main stream cinema when it's easier for kids to get into them than to buy video games.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Most of us workSURF ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I still say American History X.

not only did u have the curb stomp with gut wrenching audio *crunch* there was the prison rape scene.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Why the hell would i need to go see Fake torture and suffering and gore on a movie screen?

I'm a Fireman, I've seen it all in person!!!

Ever hear a Grown man, scream like a two year old, Oh yeah it's something alright!

Besides Hollywierd already punished and tortured me, I saw "Napoleon Dynamite"!
I still want two hours of life refunded!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#34]
couple of buddies dragged me out to the first showing today, somewhat against my will. It just didn't look that great. Let me give a review from someone who was unbaised by the hype:

I went into this not knowing a damn thing about this movie other than "some people get tortured."

The first scenes were terrible, and i was antsy in my seat for the first few minutes. Then many many hot topless chicks are shown, even if the plot and acting dont improve much. The dark twisted stuff comes up, and at first seems quite horrific, but it seems like when it's all over, they turned to basic, physical pain torture of snipping extemeties and poking holes in your flesh. It would have been more interesting to see more intelligent, psychological torture if I gotta see it at all. The plot ends up being better than I expected, although the acting was incredibly mediocre the entire movie. When the protagonist emerges, you don't even really give a care about him, you just want to find out what is up with the torturing and the hostel.

Stylisticly, the movie appealed to me because I am a fan of the eerie, defunct soviet-era factories and infrastructure that dominates the landscape, making it more visually appealing than the typical teen-bloodbath movie. The scenery is probably the best part of the movie to me. There are plenty of boobs and sex activities, none of it is very "hot" and some of it seems pretty awkward. The humor between the characters is low-grade, which is probably pretty realistic, with the guys calling each other "gay" and stuff like that. The only engrossing dialogue occurs in one scene between the protagonist and a torture guy, which effectively brings the missing pieces of the story into place.
Characters seem strangely distant from each other coming into the spotlight and fading almost as rapidly, and there will be multiple points where you can see something bad coming a mile away and wonder why the character does what they do.

There is a brief, unsatisfying car chase towards the end, and the middle of the chase is a highlight and recieved a hearty cheer from the audience; it is one of the most disturbing scenes on reflection.

For a horror movie that attempts to extract all of it's shock value from the sanguine nature of psychopathic torture, it has an intelligent air about it that is missing from most of it's comparisons. Unfortunately, the lack of character development, interpersonal relation, and weight to the conclusion force the attention on the cheap, overplayed shockers like the snipping of digits and buckets of blood.

I would have done it differently had i been a director, but if you like hot topless chicks and crude torture, you wont be dissappointed. If you want a movie that makes you think, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Final rating: good, 3 out of 5 stars.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#35]
that movie looked stupid. Ill see a movie a movie that a person gets his face eaten by a dog and still not say its gory.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Another libtard hypocritical point: Blaming violent video games for everything that goes wrong with the world but saying nothing about a movie like this that is nothing but nudity, curse words, and people being sliced open and having their body parts thrown around.

It's ridiculous that this sort of horrific movie is released to main stream cinema when it's easier for kids to get into them than to buy video games.

Most of the people I see blaming video games and movies for violence are on both sides of the aisle, and include a lot of social conservatives.

More on-topic - this is the kind of movie I might have found interesting 20 years ago, but have zero interest in seeing today.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
couple of buddies dragged me out to the first showing today, somewhat against my will. It just didn't look that great. Let me give a review from someone who was unbaised by the hype:

I went into this not knowing a damn thing about this movie other than "some people get tortured."

The first scenes were terrible, and i was antsy in my seat for the first few minutes. Then many many hot topless chicks are shown, even if the plot and acting dont improve much. The dark twisted stuff comes up, and at first seems quite horrific, but it seems like when it's all over, they turned to basic, physical pain torture of snipping extemeties and poking holes in your flesh. It would have been more interesting to see more intelligent, psychological torture if I gotta see it at all. The plot ends up being better than I expected, although the acting was incredibly mediocre the entire movie. When the protagonist emerges, you don't even really give a care about him, you just want to find out what is up with the torturing and the hostel.

Stylisticly, the movie appealed to me because I am a fan of the eerie, defunct soviet-era factories and infrastructure that dominates the landscape, making it more visually appealing than the typical teen-bloodbath movie. The scenery is probably the best part of the movie to me. There are plenty of boobs and sex activities, none of it is very "hot" and some of it seems pretty awkward. The humor between the characters is low-grade, which is probably pretty realistic, with the guys calling each other "gay" and stuff like that. The only engrossing dialogue occurs in one scene between the protagonist and a torture guy, which effectively brings the missing pieces of the story into place.
Characters seem strangely distant from each other coming into the spotlight and fading almost as rapidly, and there will be multiple points where you can see something bad coming a mile away and wonder why the character does what they do.

There is a brief, unsatisfying car chase towards the end, and the middle of the chase is a highlight and recieved a hearty cheer from the audience; it is one of the most disturbing scenes on reflection.

For a horror movie that attempts to extract all of it's shock value from the sanguine nature of psychopathic torture, it has an intelligent air about it that is missing from most of it's comparisons. Unfortunately, the lack of character development, interpersonal relation, and weight to the conclusion force the attention on the cheap, overplayed shockers like the snipping of digits and buckets of blood.

I would have done it differently had i been a director, but if you like hot topless chicks and crude torture, you wont be dissappointed. If you want a movie that makes you think, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Wow.  You are incredibly articulate.  I wish I could just REMEMBER one fourth of what you described, when I see a film.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#38]
sounds fucking stupid

just read a plot summary from wikipedia.
Three friends backpacking across Europe are told of a hostel in Slovakia where women are willing to have sex with anyone who is a foreigner. The three friends track down the hostel and, as they were told, are able to have sex with the local women. Everything seems perfect at first but there is more to the hostel than meets the eye. The next morning, two of the friends discover the third is missing and are eventually lured to a nearby factory where foreigners are tortured to death by wealthy businessmen seeking new thrills. /quote]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

35 negative posts about the movie from people who haven't even seen it.

1 intelligent review by someone who has.

So ARFCOM.

Thanks Jmindler.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I saw it a few hours ago, above review pretty much nailed it on the spot. Now, on a serious note, check out HIGH TENSION directors cut if you like gore movies like HOSTEL
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I literally just walked in the door from seeing it tonight.

I simply cannot believe it got an "R" rating.

There is no way on this earth that was an "R" movie. Lot's of blood, lot's of tourture scenes and plenty of body parts. Scenes of chopping off body parts, it's pretty bad.

Great movie though.

NOT a movie for the lady of your house.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I just got back from the movie about 30 minutes ago.

BRUTAL.

The beginning of the movie kind of has a teen feel to it...at least I thought it did, and I was very worried that it was going to be a teen horror flick. I was very, very wrong.

The movie was insanely brutal and very satisfying, I had a hardon through most of the entire film...I mean...I liked it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#43]
1. Tarantino didnt go near this movie  until after it was filmed when he signed on with a producer credit out of kindness to director Eli (Cabin Fever) Roth.

2. This movie is rated so anyone whos saying it's gory and horrible and has some of the most shocking things theyve ever seen needs to IM and i will give you a list of flicks to go rent or buy that will truly show you what gore and violence are.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
1. Tarantino didnt go near this movie  until after it was filmed when he signed on with a producer credit out of kindness to director Eli (Cabin Fever) Roth.

2. This movie is rated so anyone whos saying it's gory and horrible and has some of the most shocking things theyve ever seen needs to IM and i will give you a list of flicks to go rent or buy that will truly show you what gore and violence are.

if i wanted a gore flick id watch these (wikipedia link)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you'll learn to appreciate gory madness after you finally hit puberty

Actually puberty is when it wore off for me. Then I mostly went to movies for boobs.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

A glimmer of hope emerges...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Any more reviews?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#48]
I will see this movie. Posssibly tonight.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Let me guess... your best friend's brother's friend's uncle's cousin is Tarantino's dad and that's how you know all this inside Hollywood scoop.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#50]
The movie was very gory.  It played on your fear of being in strange and unfamiliar surroundings (Slovakia), and being surrounded by strange but sexy {evil} women (ala the Vampires from Dusk till dawn).  I can see why Tarantino signed on as Producer.  Just his cup of tea.  The director even threw him a "bone" by including the requisite toe chopping scene for the Hollyweird producer with the known foot fetish (the Selma Hayek toe sucking scene in from Dusk till Dawn).  How could Quentin NOT produce it now?

Character development was spotty.  The guy you expect to die, dies.  Of the other two, I was not expecting the one to live, to be the one who did!  Just another way to mess with your mind making you wonder which of the two remaining protagonists DESERVES to die.  Especially since both can be assholes and both typify the ugly American stereotype most Europeans are used to.  Hope you guessed better than I did.  The only real interesting character in the movie was the freak in the locker room on the adrenaline rush waiting for his first chance to "kill."  Unfortunately, this interesting character has a small (but memorable) part.

Lots of hot chicks and lots of boobies.  

Lets do a group buy for a trip to Amsterdam!!!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top