Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 1:33:34 PM EDT
I lost about 50lbs back in the spring of 2004.  Gained about 10 back by spring 2005... and by the end of 2005 I was up about 25 lbs from my low weight.  I really ate crappy in 2005, a little cocky I guess from the previous weight loss.

Started Atkins back up again to lose this 25.  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Monday
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I am doing the low carb thing again. I dropped 45 lbs in early 2003 doing my own version of it and have gained 25 back over the last 18 months eating like a pig. I am back up to 180. My goal this time is to get to 165. Pretty much just cutting out all bread, pasta, rice, and refined sugar. I still eat any vegetables I want (limit the potatoes of course), meats, dairy and my main staple is legumes/beans/peas.

IMO the major problem with atkins is the serious lack of fiber. Beans and plenty of veggies fill that void and they are really "good" carbs anyway. The major thing that lost weight for me a few years ago really wasn't so much the diet though. It was getting off my lazy ass and exercising everyday
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My Mother-In-Law is a Dietician and says that the Atkins will allow you to lose weight fast, but is not necessarily the best for your health.

The tried and true way to lose weight and keep it off is eat right, eat less and exercise more. Need motivation to exercise? Get the DVD "Semper Fit" and have a drill sergeant set the pace for you. My wife and do the "Daily 9" to get warmed up and ready for our run.

Makes her look real good in a bikini on the beach.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I shed about 35 lbs a year ago doing the low carb Atkins deal. I got down to about 210 - I am 6'1"

Boozed up a bunch all summer and hit too many BBQ's and hovering around 240 now.

Will lay off the carbs & alcohol till I am back down to around 210.

My metabolism recently dropped alot due to the mid-life thing ( I am 44yo ).

I was always blessed w/ a 200 lb 6'1" build until these past 2-3 years.

Watching what you eat and drink is a total drag .... but so is wearing 38-34 pants.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Watching what you eat and drink is a total drag .... but so is wearing 38-34 pants.

Amen.  I was getting close to 40's when I started.    I am still in 34's, but good lord they are tight.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My Mother-In-Law is a Dietician and says that the Atkins will allow you to lose weight fast, but is not necessarily the best for your health.

The tried and true way to lose weight and keep it off is eat right, eat less and exercise more. Need motivation to exercise? Get the DVD "Semper Fit" and have a drill sergeant set the pace for you. My wife and do the "Daily 9" to get warmed up and ready for our run.

Your mother-in-law as with most dieticians is just recycling what she has been taught. Most dieticians understand the Atkins diet the way apes understand calculus.

If you ACTUALLY read the Atkins diet it calls for eating less and exercise.

If you ACTUALLY read the Atkins diet it is a fairly balanced diet of vegetables, meat, fish, fruit and dairy. It does virtually eliminate bread, refined sugars and fruits high in sugars.

If you ACTUALLY read the Atkins diet you realize you can do it high fat or low fat… it is not really about fat it is about sugar and easily digestible carbohydrates.

There is NO evidence what so ever the Atkins diet or diets like it which have been in use for decades have ANY negative long term health effects and there is plenty of evidence they are beneficial.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have tried it twice in the past, and plan on starting again at some point.  The hurdle is never the exercise (I went from lethargic to hitting the gym 5 times a week in about a week's time and loved it) or the food, it was the COST, and how little variety there was in the food.  I could live without the variety (I found ways to spice it up), but when my grocery budget got over $75 a week I had to quit.  I just couldnt afford it.  Still cant, but I have more bills to go with my higher income.

I am hoping to start up again in April, maybe.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
It may be fine for losing weight, but it's one of the unhealthiest diets you could possibly choose.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your mother-in-law as with most dieticians is just recycling what she has been taught. Most dieticians understand the Atkins diet the way apes understand calculus.

If you ACTUALLY read the Atkins diet it calls for eating less and exercise.

If you ACTUALLY read the Atkins diet it is a fairly balanced diet of vegetables, meat, fish, fruit and dairy. It does virtually eliminate bread, refined sugars and fruits high in sugars.

If you ACTUALLY read the Atkins diet you realize you can do it high fat or low fat… it is not really about fat it is about sugar and easily digestible carbohydrates.

There is NO evidence what so ever the Atkins diet or diets like it which have been in use for decades have ANY negative long term health effects and there is plenty of evidence they are beneficial.

I agree - and let us not turn this thread into another "is Atkins bad for you" debate.

That said - I would agree, there is a significant shortage of fiber in an Atkins diet (during the weight loss phases)... and Dr. Atkins acknowledged that.... and highly recommended psyllium husks to compensate.  I'd have to agree, I dont like it for long term living.  End even Atkins doesnt recommend the low fiber intake forever - once you go on maintenance you really open up to a huge amount of vegetables with fiber.  My plan was once off Atkins, to migrate to a "superfoods" rich diet, and making smart choices.  Unfortunately, I slowly creeped back into ice cream, fast foods, and junk.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have tried it twice in the past, and plan on starting again at some point.  The hurdle is never the exercise (I went from lethargic to hitting the gym 5 times a week in about a week's time and loved it) or the food, it was the COST, and how little variety there was in the food.  I could live without the variety (I found ways to spice it up), but when my grocery budget got over $75 a week I had to quit.  I just couldnt afford it.  Still cant, but I have more bills to go with my higher income.

I am hoping to start up again in April, maybe.

I dont find it to be expensive at all.  I buy chicken breasts on sale for $1.99/lb, steak for $2.99/lb.... there are so many options.... and a huge number of things you can eat.  I truly ate better on Atkins than I ever did before.

The only time I felt really limited was during induction.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It may be fine for losing weight, but it's one of the unhealthiest diets you could possibly choose.

Please start your own thread if you want to debate that of which you know so little.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen.  I was getting close to 40's when I started.    I am still in 34's, but good lord they are tight.  

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

It is funny when your pant size impacts your concealed carry choices.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I started it last month and lost about 20 lbs.  It diminishes the appetite, so I have not been eating as much.

I haven't had to add excercise, but I have had more energy for projects, so I'm burning more calories.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please start your own thread if you want to debate that of which you know so little.

Ignorance works fine too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Eighteen months ago I lost about 45 lbs on Atkins after my divorce.  then I found a steady GF, became happy again and stopped whoring around.  As a result, I gained about 30lbs back over the past 8 months.

I started Atkins again about a week and a half ago and I have already dropped about 7 pounds.  I want to take off the weight that I have gained and a few more for good measure.

SBG
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ladies and gentlemen, let us not feed the trolls.  Especially Canadian Trolls.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ladies and gentlemen, let us not feed the trolls.  Especially Canadian Trolls.  

I fail to see how being concerned for a person's health is trolling, but way to catch the fact that I'm Canadian, cause that has anything to do with this.

Go back to eating your meat. You're a lost cause.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn I'm not the only one.

I lost 45lbs 2 years ago and have gained back 30.

Hopefully I will lose 50lbs this time.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What's more unhealthy ... eating 30-60 carbs per day max for a year, or being 50 lbs overweight?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I started again yesterday.

Believe me, I need it, and I also need to empty my freezer, so it's good timing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ignorant bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Aww man, I thought that trend died in favor of a balanced diet and 30 minutes of at least power walking 3-5 times a week.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm on the "Fat Boy" program. Just started monday.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been doing a modified Atkins for the past 22 years.  My doctor started me on it when I was 19 after losing a good portion of my pancreas.  My blood pressure is low, my cholesterol is low, I maintain an ideal weight.  I go through temporary lapses and gain weight but over all I feel pretty dang good.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've been doing a modified Atkins for the past 22 years.  My doctor started me on it when I was 19 after losing a good portion of my pancreas.  My blood pressure is low, my cholesterol is low, I maintain an ideal weight.  I go through temporary lapses and gain weight but over all I feel pretty dang good.

Most everybody I know who went on Atkins has a drop in cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar all good things… of course your average dietician will tell you this is impossible, this despite the many studies that support the claims of the Atkins diet.

People that understand the Atkins diet realize you can do it high fat but if you want to you can do it low fat… it is NOT about fat it is about sugar and excess carbohydrates.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most everybody I know who went on Atkins has a drop in cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar all good things… of course your average dietician will tell you this is impossible, this despite the many studies that support the claims of the Atkins diet.

People that understand the Atkins diet realize you can do it high fat but if you want to you can do it low fat… it is NOT about fat it is about sugar and excess carbohydrates.

Agreed.  I do not eat high fat foods.  Well except this morning the hubby made me bacon and eggs!  I should add that genetics has a lot to do with it as well.  I didn't really have any of these things [except high sugar - hypergylcemic {sp?}] before starting either.  I was 19 then though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top