how? by banning cut and paste?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Wyoming lawmakers push 'no retreat'
Bills seek to ease rules on concealed guns, deadly force
STORY TOOLS
Email this story | Print By Ben Neary, Associated Press
December 29, 2005
CHEYENNE - Wyoming could ease legal restrictions on the use of deadly force and allow more residents to carry concealed weapons under measures some lawmakers are pushing in the coming legislative session.
Reps. Stephen Watt, R-Rock Springs, and Mick Powers, R-Lyman, are sponsoring a measure that would put Wyoming in the ranks of "no-retreat" states.

In addition to specifying that Wyoming residents have no duty to try to escape before using deadly force against an assailant, the bill also would specify that people have a right to assume that anyone breaking into their home poses a deadly threat.

Watt said he's sponsoring the measure because he believes people have a fundamental right to protect themselves.

"Right now, it's very subjective to a county attorney's whims," Watt said of state law.

Eric Johnson, assistant professor at the University of Wyoming College of Law, also serves as faculty director of the university's prosecution assistance program - a clinic where law students provide assistance to prosecutors - and he sees problems with the "no retreat" proposal.

"It's not that I want people to have to walk away with their tails between their legs," Johnson said. "It's a concern that this could be misused by people who are clearly culpable, to create reasonable doubt in a case in which they're clearly at fault."

Mike Krampner, a Casper criminal defense lawyer, said it's a fact that most break-ins are committed by people intent only on stealing property.

"There is a respectable school of thought that the human life, no matter how depraved, is worth more than any amount of property, and that we ought not to encourage summary execution for attempted theft," Krampner said.

Andrew Arulanandam, director of public affairs for the National Rifle Association in Fairfax, Va., said a number of states are considering "no retreat" legislation this year. The NRA scored a major victory over gun-control forces early this year when Florida Gov. Jeb Bush signed a "no retreat" bill into law.

"The reasoning behind this law is just because someone is outside their home, in a public place, doesn't mean they're immune from crime," Arulanandam said.

On the concealed-carry issue, Rep. Becket Hinckley, R-Cheyenne, says he plans to sponsor a measure that would allow residents to carry concealed handguns without going through the current state application process.

The state currently limits concealed-carry licenses to those who go through an application process intended to screen out felons and others barred from owning guns.

Hinckley, who also is a prosecutor, said his bill wouldn't do away with the current permit system for people who want valid state permits that would allow them to carry guns in other states.

His similar measure early this year ailed to pass after attracting opposition from police organizations and some prosecutors.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#3]
No, by making people not click on URL's!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
His similar measure early this year failed to pass after attracting opposition from police organizations and some prosecutors.

Like I said before and i'm getting sick of saying it, it's us versus them.

Welcome to United Police States of America, now show me your papers!

HS1
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't confuse beat officers with politicos.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Don't confuse beat officers with politicos.

I don't. But as long as beat officers continue without retort to allow these gun-grabbing pricks to speak on their behalf, there will remain a great divide. Therein lies the impassible mountain.

HS1
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#7]
So now felons are legally allowed to carry guns? how is that a good thing?
Then again, they like most people can become the victim of a crime or a bad ass animal...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Then again, they like most people can become the victim of a crime or a bad ass animal...

Do you REALY think a criminal is going to bother getting a permit?!?

Mr Criminal: "Gee I was going to kill that guy and rape his woman, I better get my CCW permit before I do. I wouldn't want to break a law or anything. Harry went and got his CCW before he robbed that bank and things worked out great for him".....

Get a brain. If you did your time you should get your rights back all of them. If you are too dangerous to be on the street they should keep you locked up. BS gun laws only affect the LAW ABIDING by definition.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sorry, but SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED... if they are so bad, they shouldn't be out. If they did their time for the crime they committed and are out scott free... give em 2nd amendment rights back, after all, they pay taxes too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Good point there guys! Wyoming seems like a pretty good plcae to life.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#11]
In South Carolina there is a duty to retreat if you are in a public place.  If you need to draw down in public you'd better be able to convince the law and/or a jury that you tried to get away or the bad guy didn't give you any chance to get away.

However, at home there is NO duty to retreat.  This includes your yard, not just inside your house.  If I am on my property, out to the curb, it is the intruder who does not belong there and is in the wrong.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Alaska and Vermont allow carry w/o a permit and have few if any problems with it.

As said law breakers break laws so passing them does not affect them unless they are caught
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top