Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 8:06:34 AM EDT
Aguila SSS Subsonic .22 ammo cycles just fine thru my Ruger 10-22.

Crows fear my name.

I am the Grim Reaper of trash critters in my 11 acre Kingdom!!!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
yup, that stuff is about as bone crushing as it gets with .22lr ammo
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
nothing beats the sound of it hitting an armadillo

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I could not get this stuff to stabilize in either my Marlin model 60 or 880SQ.  Do you have a barrel with a faster twist?

Link to Colibri .22 ammo data

For those that don't know, the SSS ammo uses a very long subsonic bullet in a .22 short case.  It does not stabilize in many .22s (too slow a twist rate).

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You need a 1:9 twist barrel for it. Volquartsen makes a SSS 10/22 barrel. On the flip side it should do well in an AR15 with one of the .22 kits.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't have any problem with it in my 10/22 with stock barrel.  But then again, i'm thumping cow birds at 20 yards or so with it.

Just don't shoot it out of a Walther P-22. You'll not enjoy the amount of crap that comes back at you from the hevay grain bullet blowing the action open so early.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone shot the colibri ammo, especially out of target type rifles? How's the accuracy? What's the difference between it and the Super Colibri? Thnx.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone shot the colibri ammo, especially out of target type rifles? How's the accuracy? What's the difference between it and the Super Colibri? Thnx.

You can't shoot Super Colibri out of a rifle, or at least acording to the box, you should not.  That's a big difference right there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't have any problem with it in my 10/22 with stock barrel.  But then again, i'm thumping cow birds at 20 yards or so with it.

Just don't shoot it out of a Walther P-22. You'll not enjoy the amount of crap that comes back at you from the hevay grain bullet blowing the action open so early.

Thanks for the heads up.

I am waiting for approval for a SWR Warlock suppressor.  I have a 10/22, threaded, my P22 threaded, and a 22lr conversion for the AR's.

I am going to get a tone of different sub sonic ammos to try to find what works best in the diffeent guns with the supressor on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Even bolt-action rifles? Is it a safety issue or a function issue?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Box just says rifles.  Box says for handguns only.  I have known people to shoot it out of bolt actions.  But I do not feel like trying it.  It's an issue of the bullets not having enough power to come all the way out of the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't shoot Super Colibri out of a rifle, or at least acording to the box, you should not.  That's a big difference right there.

I have never shot a colibri out of aything but a rifle.  No problems.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I have some of Aguila stuff, but it won't cycle in my 10/22.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I gave some to a kid and his father at the range to play with.   Their Walther p-22 did not like it at all.  The primer area actually blew out.  When it jamed it scared the crap out of me.  I thought I was going to have to buy a new gun for them.  

Never again will I give away ammo at the range.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Are the Colibris quieter than the Remington subsonics? I shoot those a lot out of my 10/22. They feed well and have good accuracy. I also shot some CB caps out of my dad's Marlin .22(don't know the model). I killed a big red Iowa squirrel with a CB cap. It didn't go all the way through the body, it just stopped about half way through. He sat there for a minute like he was thinking about something, and then fell over dead. Good thing too because I had to manually cycle the action to feed another round into the chamber. Those CB caps are really quiet. I would imagine the Colibri bullets are similar being that they are a primer only round?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Are the Colibris quieter than the Remington subsonics? I shoot those a lot out of my 10/22. They feed well and have good accuracy. I also shot some CB caps out of my dad's Marlin .22(don't know the model). I killed a big red Iowa squirrel with a CB cap. It didn't go all the way through the body, it just stopped about half way through. He sat there for a minute like he was thinking about something, and then fell over dead. Good thing too because I had to manually cycle the action to feed another round into the chamber. Those CB caps are really quiet. I would imagine the Colibri bullets are similar being that they are a primer only round?

The Super colibris are quieter.  That said, they don't even budge the action on a my 10/22. Handcycle only.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up.

I am waiting for approval for a SWR Warlock suppressor.  I have a 10/22, threaded, my P22 threaded, and a 22lr conversion for the AR's.

I am going to get a tone of different sub sonic ammos to try to find what works best in the diffeent guns with the supressor on.

Quite welcome. I found out the hard way about the SSS ammo. Nothing terrible, but it does pop sparks and suff out on your hand.

Have fun with your can.  I highly recommend the Remington subsonics. Never had a cycle problem in anything, and they're pretty quiet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up.

Sub Sonic Snipers + standard twist .22lr barrel + SWR warlock = baffle strike

If you have a 1:9 AR barrel it may not even be enough since the .222 doesnt seat into the riflling completely right.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm talking about Super Colibri.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up.

Sub Sonic Snipers + standard twist .22lr barrel + SWR warlock = baffle strike

If you have a 1:9 AR barrel it may not even be enough since the .222 doesnt seat into the riflling completely right.  

Thanks!  I guess I will just get a crap load of Remmington sub sonics.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone tried Aguila SSS with a Ciener or M261 conversion and a 1x7, 8 or 9 barrel?  I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

SSS shoots well out of my CZ-452 SE (long tight barrel) out to 50 yards.  At 75 I see major keyholeing.

I'd love to put a can on and a fast twist barrel on an Izhmash Biathalon action for a fast, quiet, dedicated SSS setup.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You need a 1:9 twist barrel for it. Volquartsen makes a SSS 10/22 barrel. On the flip side it should do well in an AR15 with one of the .22 kits.

And it does

I shoot it out of an SBR(with ciener kit) with an 11.5in barrel 1/9twist with a can on it. Fucking lovely. Shooting those things at steel is fun as hell, but the real beauty, the real beauty is when yer poppin opposums in a row. Got four one night shooting from back to front. Little fuckers never knew what hit them They should have not made so much noise when they raided and tipped over all the garbage cans then they'd have gotten away with it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it does

I shoot it out of an SBR(with ciener kit) with an 11.5in barrel 1/9twist with a can on it. Fucking lovely. Shooting those things at steel is fun as hell, but the real beauty, the real beauty is when yer poppin opposums in a row. Got four one night shooting from back to front. Little fuckers never knew what hit them They should have not made so much noise when they raided and tipped over all the garbage cans then they'd have gotten away with it.

So the SSS works well with the ciener?  Thats good.  That thing is finiky with different ammo.

Are you using a 22lr can or a 5.56 can?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
How bout the smell of that ammo when it pops?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

same its great all you here  "click" "Thump!"  just turns my plinkster into a bolt action.
but for taking out pests its great.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
How bout the smell of that ammo when it pops?

Instead of smelling salts I just pop off a couple rounds of that stuff, the smell will wake the dead.  Yeesh. Fun as hell to shoot though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Has anyone tried Aguila SSS with a Ciener or M261 conversion and a 1x7, 8 or 9 barrel?  I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

SSS shoots well out of my CZ-452 SE (long tight barrel) out to 50 yards.  At 75 I see major keyholeing.

I'd love to put a can on and a fast twist barrel on an Izhmash Biathalon action for a fast, quiet, dedicated SSS setup.

I have a stainless 10/22 that was a walmart special for some time.  It was different from the rest in the fact that it came with a 22 inch barrel.  Its not the most efficient but its quieted all the ammo I've shot in it plus it seems to stabilize the SSS ammo decntly out past 75 yards.  Its about an inch lower than reminton target ammo and an inch and a half lower than quikshok at that distance.

We usually shoot the Dr Thunder sodas from walmart since theyre very cheap and they make a big effect when you hit them.  Most 22 ammo will just knock the cans over and put holes in them.  The SSS will literally pickup and carry an empty can 3-5 feet.  A couple of times we recovered the bullet inside the can because it hit one of the tougher corners and did not exit.  

Dont ask how I know but theyre hell on fish too.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#27]
In a regular 10-22 the sss was keyholing bad at 25 yards. I ported the barrel myself 2" from the end with some regular drills and dental drills(to clean up the inside of the bore).
My groups went from about 3 inches at 25 yards to an inch at 40 yards. This was with a red dot scope where the dot was as large as the bullseye at the longer range. I think a good scope would improve things a bit.
I was pretty amazed that just porting the barrel facilitated this. Especially since I did it myself. I forget where I read about  it.

Now I can pop the head off of a spruce chicken at 40 yards and have to power to tackle larger things.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have the Walters P22 short barrel version you can still shoot regular 22lr and stay subsonic.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Both my buckmark target rifle and 10/22T will stabilize SSS rounds to 75yds. I have heard that a Paco Accruizing Tool will make SSS stabilize in barrels that it normally won't. You guys might want to check into that.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#30]
What about a Marlin Glenfield Model 25?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it does

So the SSS works well with the ciener?  Thats good.  That thing is finiky with different ammo.

Are you using a 22lr can or a 5.56 can?

The SSS works great with  the ceiner kit, at least the one I have. I'm using a .22lr can on the set up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:16:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have known people to shoot it out of bolt actions.  But I do not feel like trying it.  It's an issue of the bullets not having enough power to come all the way out of the barrel.

it's rated at ~300fps, so it doesn't have much power at all, but 100 rounds still cleared a 20" barrell on my old sears bolt action just fine.

ETA:  how loud are those SSS rounds coming out of a rifle?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

ETA:  how loud are those SSS rounds coming out of a rifle?

It's just like other subsonic loads.  Out of the 28 inch barrel on my CZ-452 Super Exclusive SSS and other subsonics are very quiet.

I've also tried SSS in my V22 upper, but the stubby (like .22 short) cases sometimes don't eject all the way out of the receiver and keep the bolt from closing.

By the way, for those who are not familiar with SSS, it is a long 62 grain lead bullet in a short case.  The OAL length is the same as .22 LR, but the case it about as long as .22 short.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#34]
when i suppress my 10/22 it will have a green mountain 1 in 9th twist barrel which is way cheaper than vqs barrels. and 25 rnds mags with aguila sss.poor squirells will never know what hit them.

for bout 600 my 10/22 will be happy new stock new trigger and the suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#35]

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/QA5.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top