BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 3:58:04 AM EDT
good sides/bad sides for each weapon
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:25:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
PKM lighter ,slower fire rate.  m240 weighs a bit more, faster cycle rate. Both reliable under any conditions; they balance themselves out as far as accuracy. You just have to weigh those two factors. The m240 is the best addition since the M2.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Fluting.................. I suspect that the "flutes" increase in surface area is so small in real life, that the barrel acts heat dissipation wise just like an unfluted barrel. Except in applications where there is air running over the barrel, vehicle or aircraft mounts.

Although, if you compare 2 barrels that weight the same, and one is fluted and the other traditional, I suspect the fluted one would have a slight advantage, because it would have a larger diameter.

I don't understand why a higher rate of fire can be anything but good. Think MG42. Targets in battle are fleeting. You want to get as many rounds downrange as possible when a target presents itself.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand why left hand feed would be a con?  It seems like this way would work better for most people since they are used to having the casing ejected from the right side of weapons. I would think that a right hand feed weapon would just feel clumsy to me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't understand why left hand feed would be a con?  It seems like this way would work better for most people since they are used to having the casing ejected from the right side of weapons. I would think that a right hand feed weapon would just feel clumsy to me.

Belt fed = team effort.

G
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Again, IMO, your mileage may vary, not FDIC insured, no warranty real or implied.

Yes, only your opinion, but from your CV a pretty educated one on MGs and their use in the field.  Thanks for some good info.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Belt fed = team effort crew served weapon.

G

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't say that I remember anytime when the SAW was served by a crew, other than when I was helping my friend clean it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Can't say that I remember anytime when the SAW was served by a crew, other than when I was helping my friend clean it.

The M240 is the FN MAG not the m249 SAW/FN MINIMI
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Weren't there reporst recently that the M240 wasn't doing as well as hoped by the guys carrying them?

I thought I saw it here.

MyY buddy who just got into bahgdad said that he hated lugging the MG Around and that if given the choice he would take the m4 everytime.

YMMV IIRC etc.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#12]
240 has a wider space between front and rear sights and better sights.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]
If you think of any weapon that takes a lot of abuse and are not serviced properly, it's LMGs.  SAWs have been around since the late 80s.  So have Beretta M9s.  They are not C-130s.

I'd like to hear feedback on the Mk 48 (7.62 version of SAW)

http://www.fnmfg.com/products/m249fam/mk48mod0.gif
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

MyY buddy who just got into bahgdad said that he hated lugging the MG Around and that if given the choice he would take the m4 everytime.

YMMV IIRC etc.

That's a bad test of how good a gun is!  Of course your buddy doesn't want to lug a 240, much like mortar crews hate to carry their tubes and baseplates and a .50 team carries an 86 pound M2.  That doesn't mean it's not a great weapon with extreme utility.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I *think* the South Africans asked themselve the same question.

The answer was the SS-77, the best of both guns. PKM barrel and gas system, MAG58 (M240) feed style.

Of course I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M240 is the FN MAG not the m249 SAW/FN MINIMI

Yes I'm well aware of that and I've fired both, I was referring to the comment above that belt fed = crew served weapon.  Generally this is true, but not always.  That was what I was commenting on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
We'll I hated carrying the M249 SAW, much rather carry something in 7.62. I also liked the skinny
aluminum stock that was on them before they got the awful looking thing on them now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]
in my experience the 240 (b) is the cats ass.  id rather have it than a saw.

i hauled that bastard around on a pretty regular basis when i was in iraq.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top