Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 3:47:38 AM EDT
i know some of y'all keep a long arm in your vehicle, and i've been toying with the idea as well.  i'd just like to hear what you think about keeping a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:12:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If your state allows it, I would. If you can carry a concealled handgun, I would do that also.

I would use the handgun to get to my rifle if I ever needed to in an emergency.

Remember, your car is more likely to be stolen than you ever needing a rifle in an emergency.

I would not put an expensive rife or shotgun in your car on a day to day basis.

I would buy an used, inexpensive NEF rifle with iron sights and an additional shotgun  barrel attachment for it. It breaks down easily and can be stored in a bag that does not scream "GUN."

It is very discrete and effective. If you can carry a handgun, keep that as your first line of defense, and the rifle/shotgun as backup in the worst of situations.

It assembles very easily. You only need to put one screw in place - keep a scewdriver with it.

I would also recommend stocking your car with other items first, before you buy a long gun for it.  Things like blankets, food, water, tools and other gear will be used far more often.

There are several threads about this topic in the SURVIVAL forum.

After Katrina it is really worth considering.

EDIT - I now see you are from TEXAS. Aren't you guys required to keep a gun in your car at all times?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I would also recommend stocking your car with other items first, before you buy a long gun for it.  Things like blankets, food, water, tools and other gear will be used far more often.

thanks for the qick response!  i actually have a very basic bob in there right now...  tools, a little bit of food and water, and spare clothes.

i'm only 20, so a CCW is out of the question for a few more months.  i'd just like to have a viable alternative available for if something does happen.  i have a few long guns i could spare right now, and i'm leaning towards a mossberg...  either my 500a or 590.  i'd just like to see everyone's thoughts before i make a decision...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can find a really  inexpensive used pump shotgun or a used lever gun you might like that better.

I used to keep an M1 Carbine in my trunk. However, with the prices of them going up to $800 I could not justify keeping it locked in a trunk.

I could only imagine the hassles I would go through with an insurance claim

BTW: What kind of terrain are you mostly in? Urban, rural? I would factor that into my decisions.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:19:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it would get stolen or damaged in a crash before I ever had to use it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally would not have a "trunk gun", for the reason that my vehicle is subject to search at any time while on base.  

Other than that, I think that new FN PS90 would be just the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#6]
An SKS is a great trunk gun
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1
Don't forget to put the ammo on strippers, it's the only way you can load them with any efficiency.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

BTW: What kind of terrain are you mostly in? Urban, rural? I would factor that into my decisions.

mostly rural, however, i do go into the city quite a bit.  in fact, one reason i want to have a firearm nearby is so i can put down an animal if i need to.  i've seen quite a few animals get run down out here.  i've been fortunate enough to have not hit one yet, but if it does happen i can't stand the idea of leaving an animal to suffer on the side of the road.  rabid animals are also a concern.  i've already had to shoot one...

i like the idea of an sks.  i haven't bought one yet, but it'd probably be a prefect trunk gun.  hell, a nagant wouldn't be bad either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait until all your trunk guns get stolen and usd to end a teenage dispute... It's a far more likely use of them than you ever pulling it out of need.

Just CCW. Leaving a weapon in your vehicle unattended is irresponsible gun ownership. Cool idea, but DUMB.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wait until all your trunk guns get stolen and usd to end a teenage dispute...  

and that is by far my biggest concern.  cable locks could be used to secure it in the vehicle, but it won't stop a determined theif...  it'll just slow them down.  if i start carrying anything, it will only be in the car when i'm going somewhere where i'll be able to keep a close eye on it.  i sure as hell won't be leaving it in a parking garage all day while i'm at the mall.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you thought about a  trunkmonkey instead

www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/44/51/
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:18:02 AM EDT
[#14]

I forgot about those!!!

Quoted:
Have you thought about a  trunkmonkey instead

www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/44/51/

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry an old M1 Carbine in a para stock, in a para jump case, in the back of my car...

It's not so much purely for my protection as it is for taking care of things.

I.e. if I happen to hit a deer and injure it badly, but not kill it...well, put it out of it's misery.

And before someone thinks it's a real M1A1, it's not....it's an old Blue Sky re-import wearing a Sarco repro para stock, in a repro padded jump case

There's no way a Blue Sky re-import could be worth more than 2 or 300, so I'm not horribly concerned about it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I have 2 in my vehicles, one is an SKS, the other is a .308 Spanish Mauser. If either gets taken I am out less than $100.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I carry an old M1 Carbine in a para stock, in a para jump case, in the back of my car...

It's not so much purely for my protection as it is for taking care of things.

I.e. if I happen to hit a deer and injure it badly, but not kill it...well, put it out of it's misery.

And before someone thinks it's a real M1A1, it's not....it's an old Blue Sky re-import wearing a Sarco repro para stock, in a repro padded jump case

There's no way a Blue Sky re-import could be worth more than 2 or 300, so I'm not horribly concerned about it.

I will give you $250 for it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Wait until all your trunk guns get stolen and usd to end a teenage dispute... It's a far more likely use of them than you ever pulling it out of need.

Just CCW. Leaving a weapon in your vehicle unattended is irresponsible gun ownership. Cool idea, but DUMB.

You have a point,however what I use for a trunk/truck gun is a mosin M44,I plan to keep the bolt seperate from the rifle,takes seconds to install into the rifle,but without it you only have a club.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#21]
 I carry a CAR15 for a "trunk" gun ( actually a Jeep gun )  but only when I am traveling...it is never left in the vehicle on a daily basis.  My .45 is with me around town.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I will give you $250 for it.

Nice try

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#23]
All good points guys.

Let me just remind you guys to be careful about keeping a too INEXPENSIVE weapon in your car.  You want the darn thing to work - EVERY TIME - right?

Another important point: do NOT get caught up in the "your truck gun might be stolen so keep a cheapie in there" argument.  It's a trap (no AFRCOM pun intended).  

What's the purpose of a truck gun?  --- To preare for the small chance that you may have to defend your very life.

#1: If you have a cheapie that doesn't perform well EVERY TIME, you fail the requirement above.
#2: If you buy into the "might be stolen" argument and don't keep the weapon in the car, again, you fail the  requirement above.

I keep 16" M4 with A1 receiver in the back flooraboard of my truck (along with my on-body CCW of course).  What if it gets stolen?  So what!   I'll build another one and put it in there.  I will not change my self defense plans due to what some scumbag thief MIGHT do.

Keep a good weapon in your truck at all times.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I keep a Mossberg 500a Persuader in my trunk.
I probably will bever need it because I carry two handguns at all times.
So the if the SHTF I will just fight my way back to my trunk.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
All good points guys.

Let me just remind you guys to be careful about keeping a too INEXPENSIVE weapon in your car.  You want the darn thing to work - EVERY TIME - right?

Another important point: do NOT get caught up in the "your truck gun might be stolen so keep a cheapie in there" argument.  It's a trap (no AFRCOM pun intended).  

What's the purpose of a truck gun?  --- To preare for the small chance that you may have to defend your very life.

#1: If you have a cheapie that doesn't perform well EVERY TIME, you fail the requirement above.
#2: If you buy into the "might be stolen" argument and don't keep the weapon in the car, again, you fail the  requirement above.

I keep 16" M4 with A1 receiver in the back flooraboard of my truck (along with my on-body CCW of course).  What if it gets stolen?  So what!   I'll build another one and put it in there.  I will not change my self defense plans due to what some scumbag thief MIGHT do.
Keep a good weapon in your truck at all times.

CMOS

You make a good point,however I am not so much worried about the cost of the weapon as much as not wanting to arm a scumbag thief.IMHO 99% of the shitheals out there would turn up there nose at my little M44,however it will go bang everytime,about as reliable as a pointy stick,and will serve my purpose to make it home to more modern weapons.An ar,ak or even an sks would maybe be more apt to be used by the bad guy,or sold to another bad guy to use.Who the hell would use an M44 to carjack someone or to hold up a store
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

i thoughts on having a trunk gun...  

I'd run the risk of arrest about 2 or 3 days a week.

(every time I went out of state)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#27]
What do y'all think of one of those "like new" just found (at least that's what the ads say) Mausers for $100 $299?

ETA: Fixed the price - see response below
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got a 20ga coach gun in mine.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What do y'all think of one of those "like new" just found (at least that's what the ads say) Mausers for $100?

One of the yugo M48 mausers?Wouldnt be a bad choice,who has em for 100?I need to get some kind of backup rear sight for my M44,and maybe a flash suppressorI will post pics of it in the armory when I get done with the bubbafication
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#30]
trunk gun... it's for the monkey, right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#31]

^ what i keep (folded) in my vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#32]
FR-8.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#33]

My thoughts:

A handgun on the person is probably suffiicient but there are emergencies were a rifle or carbine (even one of thos keltec subs) would be better.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Don't forget to put the ammo on strippers, it's the only way you can load them with any efficiency.

+2

An SKS & a "Chinese Sports Bra" of loaded stripper clips would be an inexpensive and effective set-up to carry in your trunk...

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What do y'all think of one of those "like new" just found (at least that's what the ads say) Mausers for $100?

One of the yugo M48 mausers?Wouldnt be a bad choice,who has em for 100?I need to get some kind of backup rear sight for my M44,and maybe a flash suppressorI will post pics of it in the armory when I get done with the bubbafication

Sorry colklink... my old-fart brain was doing some wishful thinking.  I had seen them in an ad in my latest copy of NRA "America's Freedom" and for some reason thought $100 but looked it up and nope - $295 at Mitchell's Mausers.  They do say they're authentic German tooling and made in occupied Serbia during WWII - Mauser 98K, Model M48. "Original military - new condition" (collector grade, whatever that is).
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

An SKS & a "Chinese Sports Bra" of loaded stripper clips would be an inexpensive and effective set-up to carry in your trunk...

I'll replace my SKS with a folding stock AK when I get around to it but for the time being I have a very reliable longarm in my trunk.  

I took the leather two-pocket pouch that came with the gun (I think it originally housed the cleaning kit).  Four stripper clips fit in each pocket snugly.  I bought a 6 dollar Walmart leather belt and looped it through the back of the pouches to make a pretty handy and well fitting chest bandolier.  Rock out.

If I can get to my car I can usually get away from whatever the situation is.  That would not always be the case from a practical or moral standpoint.  

I started keeping a trunk gun capable of piercing soft body armor after that fiasco in Tyler, Texas.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#37]
This is a little bit off topic, so please forgive me, but where's the best place to pick up an SKS?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry colklink... my old-fart brain was doing some wishful thinking.  I had seen them in an ad in my latest copy of NRA "America's Freedom" and for some reason thought $100 but looked it up and nope - $295 at Mitchell's Mausers.  They do say they're authentic German tooling and made in occupied Serbia during WWII - Mauser 98K, Model M48. "Original military - new condition" (collector grade, whatever that is).

You may want to give AIM a look,they may still have them at that price,allthough probably not like new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top