Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 7:41:39 PM EDT
i'm trying, unsuccesfully to find a ballpark price for a transmission for a 95 chevy tahoe 350 v8 4wd, anybody out there have any idea how bad this is gonna stick it to my gun fund?

i know its gonna be bad, but im trying to figure out how bad.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
well you can find a nice turbo 350 trans for about 300 bucks, so if you do the work yourself it could be pretty cheap.

Have you checked the fluid, i know of quite of few people that thought they needed rebuilds when they only needed to top of the fluid.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Might not be the best comparison price, but a new auto trans for a 01 Corvette goes for $1568.75 ($2095.85 MSRP).
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think anyone would pull out  a computer shifted 4L60E and put in a TH350!!!

Loss of 4th gear and TCC would be a huge hit in fuel mileage, not to mention the extra money, parts and time required for the swap

You lookin for a Vulcan/ Hesse  type tranny or a COLT?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The tranny you need is the 4L60E, directly derived from the turbo 700.  Expect to pay anywhere from $900-$1500, depending on if you choose new or remanufactured.  After you get this tranny replaced, have a good tranny cooler installed.  The 700/4L6OE was not overly strong, and heat from towing/hard use will smoke one in a hurry
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the guys in the shop was raped for ~21-2200. No problems sence though. Sorry to hear about the trans definatly needing to go though. Let me know when you are ready to go with a Turbo Dodge.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One of the guys in the shop was raped for ~21-2200. No problems sence though. Sorry to hear about the trans definatly needing to go though. Let me know when you are ready to go with a Turbo Dodge.

That is about standard for factory new, warranty, and installed.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
$1400-$1700.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRM

I think that was a rebuild.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRM

I think that was a rebuild.

OUCH!

SRM
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Summit Racing has a few TCI 4l60e's for around 2000.00 and a Hughes 4l60e for around 1900.00
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#11]
www.car-part.com

Rebuilt for 1485, used from 500-900 showing in your state.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Figure around $2K for a Factory unit ( Which Is A Rebuilt ) installed .
It's really the only way to go if you want another 100K miles
without problems .

I do maybe 8-10 a year in my shop . Pretty common
failure in GM's that use the 4L60E .
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#14]
well, it may or may not be the trans, when i put it in reverse it goes POP SPROING, and than as i back out it goes clankcrankclankkerbang, at low speed backwards it squeaks, and than when i shift back into drive it goes WHAPONG cracklaka and squeaks a little.

today i notiuced a lack of agressivness while going uphill, and there was a horrible smell that smelled kind of like burning cat shit when i got it up to highway speed.

called the dealership (i know i know)  and they said it could be trans, drive shaft or rear diff, im goin in at 0800 tommorow for them to diagnose it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
well, it may or may not be the trans, when i put it in reverse it goes POP SPROING, and than as i back out it goes clankcrankclankkerbang, at low speed backwards it squeaks, and than when i shift back into drive it goes WHAPONG cracklaka and squeaks a little.

today i notiuced a lack of agressivness while going uphill, and there was a horrible smell that smelled kind of like burning cat shit when i got it up to highway speed.

called the dealership (i know i know)  and they said it could be trans, drive shaft or rear diff, im goin in at 0800 tommorow for them to diagnose it.

yikes. I hope it goes well for you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#16]
10.00 on universal joint.

a horrible smell that smelled kind of like burning cat shit when i got it up to highway speed.

Maybe not
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
10.00 on universal joint.

a horrible smell that smelled kind of like burning cat shit when i got it up to highway speed.

Maybe not

Exactly!

I'm trying to figure out a way to beef up my 4L60E without breaking the bank. Hopefully, that will be easier than replacing later.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#18]
good news update:

it was the rear u, they guy said it was broke worse than he had evr seen, replaced it
they also replaced my front rotors, did an allignment, and replaced ekhause doughnuts and sealed some leaks, and they replaced my fuel filter.         they also cleaned and fixed up my rear breaks

total, $660

im glad, and i like the service i get from them. they let me pay by credit card over the phone, and i picked up the car after they were closed with my spare key, since i was out of town.

they diagnosed it and fixed that stuff between 9 am and noon, chevy 5star certified repair center comes to the rescue.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
good news update:

it was the rear u, they guy said it was broke worse than he had evr seen, replaced it
they also replaced my front rotors, did an allignment, and replaced ekhause doughnuts and sealed some leaks, and they replaced my fuel filter.         they also cleaned and fixed up my rear breaks

total, $660

im glad, and i like the service i get from them. they let me pay by credit card over the phone, and i picked up the car after they were closed with my spare key, since i was out of town.

they diagnosed it and fixed that stuff between 9 am and noon, chevy 5star certified repair center comes to the rescue.

Sounds more than reasonable for all that work. You always get the good deals don't you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top