Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2006 7:40:54 PM EDT
The kids have The Sponge Bob Movie on in the background.  I'm just curious, are the singers/musicians who sing the opening numbers [all seem to have very nice voices] artist/professionals or just sluts for money?  I have a difficult time thinking grown men and women can sing these songs with a straight face.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Cocaine is a helluva drug.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
That's my favorite song!  

"Who lives in a pineapple under the Sea...."

Great, now it's stuck in my head again...

I hate you!!

If they are good singers, I think they are professional artists.  As a professional I imagine they sing what they are paid to sing...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
For what they get paid, those professional sluts are laughing all the way to the bank.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Most professionals have things to do in their jobs that they don't particularly enjoy, but being professionals, they do them to the best of their ability.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't believe that I clicked on a thread with "slut" in the title and it's about Spongebob.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They have sluts on Spongebob?!?!

I need to watch more kids' movies.  Oh, wait a minute...

Quoted:
I can't believe that I clicked on a thread with "slut" in the title and it's about Spongebob.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
They are much more honost then your average "artist".

They deliver a product, hence they are good at thier craft, a step above those who deliver substandard product to fulfill thier internal voids.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's "Sploogebob NoPants" that you wanted. Different aisle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

yeah, you just lost your hard drive, remember
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I would say artists. Even if that is not what they want to do for a living, they still put out a quality product. If every one could do it, they would.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been playing for 25 years, and have said many times:  If somebody hands me a million bucks and says "sign on the line for a real good time..." I'll play whatever they want, whenever they want, wherever they want.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would say artists. Even if that is not what they want to do for a living, they still put out a quality product. If every one could do it, they would.

agreed.  When my oldest two kids were growing up we had "Grammar Rock" I loved it but I always tried to picture that artists singing those goofy songs, recording them and then coming home to their perspective spouses and giving a cap of how their day went.

"Went well, had a little trouble with the Conjunction Junction what's your function number but we got it worked out"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Motorhead recorded one of the tracks for the Spongebob movie.

That doesn't really answer the question, but it's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed.  When my oldest two kids were growing up we had "Grammar Rock" I loved it but I always tried to picture that artists singing those goofy songs, recording them and then coming home to their perspective spouses and giving a cap of how their day went.

"Went well, had a little trouble with the Conjunction Junction what's your function number but we got it worked out"

It's funny you mention that.  A friend of mine, right now, is playing percussion in a local production of "Schoolhouse Rock."
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Professionals. Part of being a pro is doing the things you don't like that much to the best of your ability. Not doing that makes you a diva.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Can't believe we've gotten this far without bringing up the wiggles. I mean, it's one thing to lend your voice to it. It's another to be revered worldwide by 2yr olds and have your sexuality debated on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I can answer this one. I have Bachelor of fine arts degreee in Graphic design with a minor in art history. I hate artists. As a child I was always drawing and my parents noticed I had no interest in stopping. They put me in some art classes, I was told I had a natural gift for visual art. Fast forward to college,  Iget into my major course of study. My graphic Design professor goes around the room and asks each person what they hope to achieve with their education. the answers were the typical liberal hippy "I want to make a grand statement to the world" BS. When it was my turn to answer the question I simply said:

"I plan to sell out, I want to be an art slut, I want to cash in on my natural abilities and formal training that I have been receiving throughout my life"

The room was silent, after class I was called all sorts of evil names, and told that I was a capitalist pig, blah blah blah...go cry me a river.

Two years later, sitting at graduation The line of seated Graphic Design graduates are passing news of a party that night and want to know who is planning on attending. I said I had to head back to Florida that evening because I was starting a job on Monday. Turns out of the 17 of us, I was the only one that had pursued and found a job. When I told them that I had taken a job as a defense contractor for the Air Force, those names from two years ago came back out.

I have since left my job with the Air Force....because I was found by another company that offered me more money to come do what I do for the Navy and Marine Corp.

I am a slut, I do it for the money. I plan to retire at 55 and THEN I'll go back to painting and doing artistic stuff....but I'll still try to sell out there too.

I personally have no desire to smell like patchouli incense and wear hemp t-shirts. I enjoy my job, it is a creative outlet for my talents, and it gives me pride to contribute to society while supporting our military at the same time. I enjoy days at the range, hocky games, ACDC, Fishing shows, fishing, big gas guzzling trucks and red meat and hard liquor and cigars. I'm only 29 and have accomplished more than my liberal art fag fellow graduates. I attribute this to my desire to sell out.

Also, those of us who are being paid well for our talents have taken the initiative to work hard and earn our positions. And those of us being paid well for our talents have established a reputation for being the best at what we do.

I am a sell out slut, and damn proud of it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Everyone has to pay the bills. I wonder about some of the actors who appear in some commercials. But I guess the residuals are good.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Can't believe we've gotten this far without bringing up the wiggles. I mean, it's one thing to lend your voice to it. It's another to be revered worldwide by 2yr olds and have your sexuality debated on ARFCOM.

I have yet to experience the wiggles and with luck I won't.  I did have to endure my fair share of a dancing singing Purple Dinosaur.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Shortmikeb,

You sir are a true American, and I honestly respect you!!!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's funny you mention that.  A friend of mine, right now, is playing percussion in a local production of "Schoolhouse Rock."

That's really cool actually!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Shortmikeb,

Thanks, I appreciate that
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Pantera was on spongebob one time
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#25]
The lead vocal on "Conjunction Junction" is sung by Jack Sheldon - a great jazz trumpet player, singer and actor.  Musically that song is better than 99.9% of anything you'll hear on the radio nowadays.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I love Spongebob. I sit down to a bowl of frosted miniwheats and Spongebob every morning before I head off to work
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Did somebody say sluts for money?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The lead vocal on "Conjunction Junction" is sung by Jack Sheldon - a great jazz trumpet player, singer and actor.  Musically that song is better than 99.9% of anything you'll hear on the radio nowadays.  

I love him.  Conjunction Junction isn't his best work either.  The tale of Mr Morton is my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Shortmikeb,

+1  What's not to love about a true Capitalist?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The kids have The Sponge Bob Movie on in the background.  I'm just curious, are the singers/musicians who sing the opening numbers [all seem to have very nice voices] artist/professionals or just sluts for money?  I have a difficult time thinking grown men and women can sing these songs with a straight face.

It's a job. Musicians make money, often times to support the "fun" they have writing or recording their good material that doesn't pay the rent.

I've done studio work for cash, and if that made me whore I don't see how it's different than someone who works at a factory or the post office. Everyone's a whore by that definition.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I always vote for sluts. What was the question?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#32]
oops....though you were talking about the Celine Dion/Mariah Carey types
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love him.  Conjunction Junction isn't his best work either.  The tale of Mr Morton is my favorite.

"Jack Sheldon's distinctive voice has been heard consistently over the years on numerous commercials, motion pictures, and animated shows such as the Disney cartoon "Bonkers", and the unforgettable Conjunction Junction and Just a Bill from ABC Television's Schoolhouse Rock series; both of which have achieved cult fame. He's completed several new Schoolhouse Rock cartoons for ABC including Mr Morton, Where The Money Goes, and Busy Prepositions. He was recently a guest on an episode of  The Simpson's. He's been the voice of Commonwealth Edison's Louie the Lightningbug for over twenty years. He is the voice of "Mr. Sensitivity" on the new Hanna Barbera cartoon  Johnny Bravo."

www.jacksheldon.com/biography.htm
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#34]
[Anchorman]You're a dirty pirate hooker...why don't you go back to your home on whore island[Anchorman]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Jack Sheldon's distinctive voice has been heard consistently over the years on numerous commercials, motion pictures, and animated shows such as the Disney cartoon "Bonkers", and the unforgettable Conjunction Junction and Just a Bill from ABC Television's Schoolhouse Rock series; both of which have achieved cult fame. He's completed several new Schoolhouse Rock cartoons for ABC including Mr Morton, Where The Money Goes, and Busy Prepositions. He was recently a guest on an episode of  The Simpson's. He's been the voice of Commonwealth Edison's Louie the Lightningbug for over twenty years. He is the voice of "Mr. Sensitivity" on the new Hanna Barbera cartoon  Johnny Bravo."

www.jacksheldon.com/biography.htm

My kids still constantly sing his song he did on the Simpsons:

Kid: Hey, who left all this garbage on the steps of Congress?
Amendment: I'm not garbage.

(starts singing)

I'm an amendment-to-be, yes an amendment-to-be,
And I'm hoping that they'll ratify me.

There's a lot of flag-burners,
Who have got too much freedom,
I want to make it legal
For policemen to beat'em.

'Cause there's limits to our liberties,
At least I hope and pray that there are,
'Cause those liberal freaks go too far.

(spoken)
Kid: But why can't we just make a law against flag-burning?
Amendment: Because that law would be unconstitutional.
But if we changed the Constitution...
Kid: Then we could make all sorts of crazy laws!
Amendment: Now you're catching on!
Kid: What if people say you're not good enough to be in the
Constitution?

(sings)

Amendment: Then I'll crush all opposition to me,
And I'll make Ted Kennedy pay.
If he fights back, I'll say that he's gay.

(spoken)
Congressman: Good news, Amendment! They ratified ya!
You're in the US Constitution!
Amendment: Oh yeah!

Let's just say it gets some interesting reactions from their school teachers when the kids sing it at recess.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:35:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:49:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I can answer this one. I have Bachelor of fine arts degreee in Graphic design with a minor in art history. I hate artists. As a child I was always drawing and my parents noticed I had no interest in stopping. They put me in some art classes, I was told I had a natural gift for visual art. Fast forward to college,  Iget into my major course of study. My graphic Design professor goes around the room and asks each person what they hope to achieve with their education. the answers were the typical liberal hippy "I want to make a grand statement to the world" BS. When it was my turn to answer the question I simply said:

"I plan to sell out, I want to be an art slut, I want to cash in on my natural abilities and formal training that I have been receiving throughout my life"

The room was silent, after class I was called all sorts of evil names, and told that I was a capitalist pig, blah blah blah...go cry me a river.

Two years later, sitting at graduation The line of seated Graphic Design graduates are passing news of a party that night and want to know who is planning on attending. I said I had to head back to Florida that evening because I was starting a job on Monday. Turns out of the 17 of us, I was the only one that had pursued and found a job. When I told them that I had taken a job as a defense contractor for the Air Force, those names from two years ago came back out.

I have since left my job with the Air Force....because I was found by another company that offered me more money to come do what I do for the Navy and Marine Corp.

I am a slut, I do it for the money. I plan to retire at 55 and THEN I'll go back to painting and doing artistic stuff....but I'll still try to sell out there too.

I personally have no desire to smell like patchouli incense and wear hemp t-shirts. I enjoy my job, it is a creative outlet for my talents, and it gives me pride to contribute to society while supporting our military at the same time. I enjoy days at the range, hocky games, ACDC, Fishing shows, fishing, big gas guzzling trucks and red meat and hard liquor and cigars. I'm only 29 and have accomplished more than my liberal art fag fellow graduates. I attribute this to my desire to sell out.

Also, those of us who are being paid well for our talents have taken the initiative to work hard and earn our positions. And those of us being paid well for our talents have established a reputation for being the best at what we do.

Damn, let me virtually shake your hand.

Geoff

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:50:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Rick James??
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
i

Quoted:
I can answer this one. I have Bachelor of fine arts degreee in Graphic design with a minor in art history. I hate artists. ...

I personally have no desire to smell like patchouli incense and wear hemp t-shirts...  I have accomplished more than my liberal art fag fellow graduates. I attribute this to my desire to sell out.

That's a heck of a lot of animosity.... far beyond simply "I'll do it my way and you do it your way."

My momma is an artist.  Many of my friends are artists.  There's not a hemp t-shirt or the pungent odor of patchouli around.  

My momma is an RN.  A lot of other friends are in IT or tech fields.  They earn their living doing things that they are competent at and that pay well so that they can maintain art as their creative outlet without sullying it by tying it to their living.

My momma is VERY talented and, a while back, did a few commission pieces for several thousand dollars a piece.  What she found was that the person paying then felt like they had the right to tell her how to express herself... how THEY wanted the piece to appear when finished.

That's no longer pure creation or expression.  And it wasn't enjoyable so she stopped.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if this is what works for you, that's GREAT but there's no need to spit on people who have chosen different approaches to life.

You must of missed the part where the other 16 art students "spit" on ShortMikeB for his different approach to life.

Bravo to you, ShortMikeB.  I envy your talent and I think it's great that you've managed to leverage that talent into a good living.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:52:19 AM EDT
[#40]
The people who do that stuff are craftsmen/women. They're just doing a job. They may consider it trivial and shallow, but ya know...it pays the bills. It's honest work.

As far as the artists who want to take a commission and get huffy if they're told how the work should appear when it's done? That's their choice but I can tell you this. If I commissioned an artist to paint me a blue horse and he decided that it offended his artistic sense so he paints me a green horse...we're gonna have issues...Now, if he just tells me that he won't do it because it offends him and to go elsewhere?...that's cool

If you paint (or sing, or sculpt, or whatever) for the love of producing the art..and THEN sell it, that's great, express all the soul in your work you want, but if you're paid to deliver a product, do it like your customer want's, or you won't HAVE customers.

The singers/composers are professionals who do a great job...What could be better than to do something that a bunch of kids will really enjoy...and that a bunch of parents will go nuts listening to...(can anyone say Barney the purple dinosaur??...I knew you could. )
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Patty,
They sound like studio artists just earning bread and butter to me.

Jingles and TV stuff is probably the majority of the work studio vocalists get.
Good money, from what I hear.

I went to art school after I got out of the service. Studied commercial photography.
Alot of my classmates were into looking like artists, being avante garde/bohemian.
I was just me, a guy with an eye for things through the lens.
My worst sin as a photo mercenary was selling two pics to the Washington Post.
When you draw $273 a mo. in GI Bill, and work a part time job, and carry 12 hrs class load,  $150 is a big help!
I carried a 1911 in my camera bag on some occaisions, given the area the assignments and newspaper office were in.
Walking around at night in Alexandria Va., carrying 2-3K in photo gear makes you a bit of a target.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#42]
They are making a helluva lot more money than I am.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I enjoy singing silly songs every now and then. (You are talking to a man who knows all the words to "Shipoopi") After all, there is no sillier song than Rudolph the red nosed reindeer.

If someone wanted to pay me money to get together with a band of folks I like and sing a silly song, I would jump at the chance.

In fact, I would love to make a nice living doing silly cartoon voices. I would make more money doing that than working in IT and would have a heck of a lot less stress. Plus I would finally be able to afford those class III weapons I am always drooling over....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#44]
As far as I'm concerned, work is work and money is money.

I've done some pretty silly things for pay.  I suppose as long as there are no laws broken, and my morals aren't compromised, who am I to say what's worthless crap?  I'm paid to sing a song, or act a part, doesn't matter how bad the script is, or how corny the song is.  I'm being paid to do it.

So I do, and make the best of it.  And sing my way to the bank.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:05:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Shortmikeb,

I wish I would have sold out!! Good job.ShortMikeb
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Man, did we go to the same school? The last time I looked, there were only four let in my field from a class of about 60 Designers and Artists. When I graduated in 78, the majority of the art & design students were there only because Mom and Dad couldn't figure out anyplace else to send them, or they failed at everything else.

I don't look at the design world as a sell out. Design is a business just like any other. I've manage to survive 26 years in it while competing with every monkey with a desktop computer that is an instant design god. I get pissed when some knothead starts selling logo designs on the internet for $25.00 and a whole Corporate ID package for $100. Do you really think you'll get something good? Think again. Good design costs money, and it can make or break a product.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#50]
I started this thread to be humorous.  I don't have a problem with any of it.  Heck if I was talented enough to sing in a spongebob movie and I was paid well -- I'd do it as well.  What really struck me as funny though was the opening song of SpongeBob's movie was more of an Opera type singing.  More technical than say Jason Alexander singing in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top