User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 4:11:10 PM EDT
Are their guns any good?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Love my M2 Carbine
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked this one up last year at a pawn shop for $164 otd. It was missing the rear peep sight ($40). At that price I love it It functions great and the Plainfield is considered to be the "best" commercial copy by most people. USGI parts work fine in it and I believe some of the early Plainfields where made with mostly USGI parts, correct me if I'm wrong. What are you looking at getting and how much are they asking ?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Plainfields are regarded as the best of the M1 Carbine clones. They use quality receivers and all parts interchange with USGI .
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Plainfields are regarded as the best of the M1 Carbine clones. They use quality receivers and all parts interchange with USGI .

The Springfield Armory, Inc clones are regarded to be of the highest quality, as like the early M1As, they used quality forged recievers and all GI parts.

My advice?
Buy USGI.
But then again, I'm biased.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Lanceman, that is a pretty rifle!

A local pawnshop has a Plainfield with a scope, hardcase, and thirty-round mag for $250. It looks a little beat up and the magazine is difficult to remove.

The price seems good if it shoots okay. I'm a little leary of the mag sticking, though.

My appetite for an M1 carbine has now been whetted.

I wouldn't mind getting a G.I. at a gun show, but I've yet to see one below $750.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
$ 250 is not a bad price.  If you can satisfy yourself that mag issue is solvable then I would buy it.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
double tap
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I'll get it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I'll get it.

Whoa... I said that already.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think I'll get it.

At that price I'd get it. You could get your money back out of it if you had to (remember my screenname ) Sounds like a decent find.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Springfield Armory, Inc clones are regarded to be of the highest quality, as like the early M1As, they used quality forged recievers and all GI parts.

My advice?
Buy USGI.

Source?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah get it.  If as the other posters have said, it takes GI parts, then you have nothing to worry about other than an opportunity to tinker with it!  Isn't that almost as fun as shooting them anyway?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My advice?
Buy USGI.

Source?

I had a carbine built on one of the Springfield Armory receivers a few years ago using a USGI parts kit… the Springfield Armory receiver was clearly the best after market receiver I have ever seen it was very good most of the others are not. The receiver was forged but for the life of me I cannot remember where it was made.

Having said that USGI carbines are heads above the rest.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I picked this one up last year at a pawn shop for $164 otd. It was missing the rear peep sight ($40). At that price I love it It functions great and the Plainfield is considered to be the "best" commercial copy by most people. USGI parts work fine in it and I believe some of the early Plainfields where made with mostly USGI parts, correct me if I'm wrong. What are you looking at getting and how much are they asking ?

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41518

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41519

That gun looks great. Nice job on the restore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top