Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 4:08:29 PM EDT
I heard Willie Gary and Jesse Jackson have been in talks with Mr. Bear about a possible lawsuit.

"this was clearly an issue of Race" Said Mr. Jackson.  "If it had been a polar bear the officer would never have fired the taser gun"

Escambia deputy uses Taser to stop black bear

MILTON, Fla. — A sheriff's deputy got a shock when a bear came toward him as he searched for a prowler. So he gave the bear a shock with his Taser.

Homeowner Charlie McQueen Smith called Santa Rosa County deputies Tuesday night after finding her air conditioner torn from her kitchen window.

Deputy Ray Dykes thought he was looking for a prowler.

"When I pulled up, I saw the reflection of an animal's eyes. It looked like a little bear cub," he said. "I got to about 40 feet and it stood up, and that's when I knew it was fully grown."

Dykes used his Taser gun when the bear got too close.

"He was about seven or eight feet away when I shocked him," he said.

The bear fell to the ground, breaking the connection with the weapon, which administers a strong electrical charge. The animal fled into the woods and disappeared.

Smith said she's lived in the home since it was built in 1960 and had never seen a bear there before Friday. The bear showed up then and visited several times over the weekend. Smith suspects the smell of fried chicken might have enticed it to try and come inside. A trash pit near the home might also have been a lure, officials said.

If the animal returns, the Florida Wildlife Commission will likely capture and relocate it, said commission biologist Pat Bowman.

"Between the Taser shock and the garbage removal, I would like to think this bear is going to stay away," she said.

Black bears are protected by state law.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm surprised the tazer worked on the bear. It likely surprised it more than hurt it. I definitely wouldn't count on a tazer for defense against a bear.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yogi Bear and Booboo better watch out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm surprised the tazer worked on the bear. It likely surprised it more than hurt it. I definitely wouldn't count on a tazer for defense against a bear.

Did you ever see the taser made for animals?  Drops a full size bull like it was nothing....but boy was that bull PO'd when it got up....got to the website for the video

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you ever see the taser made for animals?  Drops a full size bull like it was nothing....but boy was that bull PO'd when it got up....got to the website for the video

That's really helpful. WHAT website.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tazer's homepage perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:05:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

media.putfile.com/Bulltazer
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"this was clearly an issue of Race" Said Mr. Jackson.  "If it had been a polar bear the officer would never have fired the taser gun"

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Maybe that's what he had drawn at the time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

media.putfile.com/Bulltazer

Homey-style grip and everything.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#10]
That's because the barbs spread vertically as they travel away from the TASER when it's fired normally.  
The guy firing it was trying to fire it so that it spread horizontally along the bulls torso.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top