Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 2:31:01 PM EDT
ICE= Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Why would the President appoint someone with very poor qualifications to be in charge of the agency that oversees Customs, Border Patrol, and catching illegal aliens?  Guess he doesn't care about any of the illegal immigration problems.

www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3567245.html

Bush ICE appointment an end-run around Senate

By JULIE MASON
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - President Bush on Wednesday appointed a 36-year-old lawyer to head the Immigration and Customs Enforcement division of the Homeland Security Department despite critics' concerns about her qualifications.

Bush's recess appointment of Julie L. Myers was an end-run around the Senate, where her nomination to lead the massive, troubled immigration and customs operation had been stalled.

"It's disappointing," said TJ Bonner, president of the National Border Patrol Council, a union representing 9,000 border patrol employees.

"This is further evidence of this administration's lack of commitment to meaningfully addressing the illegal immigration crisis," he said. "It is just blatant cronyism, and I am sure she is a bright and talented young woman, but this is not the place to put someone with such a steep learning curve."

In addition to strong backing from the White House, Myers' nomination had the full support of Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff, who was her former boss at the Justice Department.

With a work force of nearly 20,000 and an annual budget of $4 billion, ICE is the second-largest law enforcement agency in the federal government. It is responsible for policing the border, including transportation systems and infrastructure, and enforcing immigration laws.

Myers, a former White House aide, is the niece of Gen. Richard Myers, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Her husband, John F. Wood, is chief of staff to Chertoff.

By installing Myers in office while Congress is in recess, Bush circumvents Senate approval of her nomination. Her appointment will expire in January 2007, when the next session of Congress begins.

Myers was among 17 recess appointments announced late Wednesday by the White House. Also on the list was Texan Gordon England, appointed to deputy secretary of defense.

In October, the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee approved Myers' nomination in a 9-6 vote, with all the panel's Republicans in favor and six Democrats objecting, primarily on the grounds that she appeared unqualified.

At her Senate confirmation hearing in September, Myers told the committee that she would rely on more experienced employees in the department to help navigate the job.

"I realize that I'm not 80 years old," Myers testified at the time. "I have a few gray hairs, more coming, but I will seek to work with those who are knowledgeable in this area, who know more than I do."

Immigration and Customs Enforcement was created March 1, 2003, when U.S. Customs and the Immigration and Naturalization Service were merged and placed under the auspices of Homeland Security.

In recent years, the agency has been troubled by low morale, a series of unpopular political appointees and a sense of despair over a lack of progress and direction in immigration enforcement.

Bush has made reforming immigration policy and tightening the borders a top priority in recent months, but there has been little progress on the issue in Congress, particularly on the president's proposal to create a guest worker plan for immigrants.

Myers' nomination came into focus immediately after Michael Brown, former director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, also beset by questions about qualifications and cronyism, stepped down after the agency's mishandling of the Hurricane Katrina response.

Myers, a Kansas native, is a former White House special assistant for presidential personnel, and worked for Chertoff as his chief of staff when he headed the Justice Department's criminal division.

As assistant secretary at the Commerce Department, she supervised 170 employees and headed the department's enforcement of export control laws. She also worked at the Treasury Department, serving as deputy assistant secretary for money laundering and financial crimes.

Before that, Myers worked as an assistant U.S. attorney in Brooklyn, and also worked for Whitewater prosecutor Kenneth L. Starr.

By federal statute, the head of ICE is required to have at least five years of experience in both law enforcement and management. Her supporters and their foes are at odds over how to quantify her work experience and whether she meets the requirement.

[email protected]

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Great.  Another political hand-job.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Since ICE isn't really doing its job anyway (or doesn't have the funds/manpower to do so), what difference does it make if a qualified or non-qualified person is in charge?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Since ICE isn't really doing its job anyway (or doesn't have the funds/manpower to do so), what difference does it make if a qualified or non-qualified person is in charge?

Maybe if we get a qualified hard charging person they will do something!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard about this weeks ago, certainly before Christmas.

Just another example of bad appointments, remember Meyers?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Myers, a former White House aide, is the niece of Gen. Richard Myers, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Her husband, John F. Wood, is chief of staff to Chertoff.

Got the job because of who she's related to and who she's sleeping with.  

Field expericance as a sworn BP agent should be a required for that post.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Got to have so many women, or the feminazis get pissed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Geez.   Normally the originator of this thread is what I would clearly classify as an agent provocateur.   However, this nomination is one I've been following and there really is no excuse for how abysmal the selection is.   Bush has no excuse and I've already voiced my dissatisfaction through official and unofficial channels.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#8]
behold, I give you

the beginning of the end for the GOP
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
+1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe if we get a qualified hard charging person they will do something!

The administration doesn't want them to do anything major, like start rounding up illegals by the busload. They want to keep things just how they are until they can get their guest worker program passed. So now three of the last four people who have ran ICE under this administartion have been lawyers, been working out great so far
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You are kidding, right?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
chertoff seemed to be a bit of a stooge after katrina. myers likely will be too. sometimes i really do wonder about bush, it almost seems as if he is singlehandedly trying to destroy the republican party.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yup, unless they just want another chertoff-jerkoff

THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT MAKES ILLEGALS BUSHS FAULT
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, unless they just want another chertoff-jerkoff

THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT MAKES ILLEGALS BUSHS FAULT

It's amazing how many news stories you can find on the negative impacts of illegal aliens on our society, yet our president puts an unqualified person in charge of the department that takes care of border security, customs, and catching and deporting illegal aliens.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Bush doing stupid things like this is the number one reason that John McCain is leading all the 2008 presidential polls.  This type of thing makes it hard for Republican's to back anything Bush related and right now the only other option is what McCain is saying.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Is she hot?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Got the job because of who she's related to and who she's sleeping with.  

Yea, but when has actual experience ever been considered in a political appointment?!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#18]
ICE has a long way to go to be accepted as a strong acting Law Enforcement Agency.

Julie L. Myers is not going to help.  She's just one of several questionable appointments.

Very few of those involve in running Homeland Security (ICE/CBP etc.) have any experience in Law Enforcement.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#19]
i voted for W

i supported W

i believe in his leadership as it pertains to the GWOT

but he's a fucking dumbass and is his own worst enemy. didnt he learn anything from harriet myers and michael brown? STUPID STUPID STUPID. i thought carl roves job was to keep him from doing stupid shit. this is the first time ive felt this but..... i hope the liberal press gets ahold of this like a pitbull.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I would have thought Jorge would have learned his lesson with the FEMA dude.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

In this case, its means he didnt promote from within the organization.  In other words: He probably was tired of their attitude and ineffectiveness, so he appointed an outsider.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Mmmmmm...............Bush ICE....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Why would the President appoint someone with very poor qualifications to be in charge of the agency that oversees Customs, Border Patrol, and catching illegal aliens?  Guess he doesn't care about any of the illegal immigration problems.

Well let us see. Our country is over run with customs violations (both drugs coming through the border as well as countefeit stuff), the borders are a joke, and the only illegal aliens they seem to be able to catch are the ones that voluntarily turn them self in. So it seems like getting someone with a fresh view on how to solve these problems is the answer, not a person with a career history of being part of this dismal failure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well let us see. Our country is over run with customs violations (both drugs coming through the border as well as countefeit stuff), the borders are a joke, and the only illegal aliens they seem to be able to catch are the ones that voluntarily turn them self in. So it seems like getting someone with a fresh view on how to solve these problems is the answer, not a person with a career history of being part of this dismal failure.

Yeah, I always like to go with people with no experience to handle problem situations
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top