Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/5/2006 1:42:07 PM EDT
www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/01/05/torontoteen-gun060104.html

A Toronto teenager has been charged with weapons and drug offences after his mother turned in a loaded AK-47 rifle to police.

The suspect's mother said she was shocked when she found the weapon and a magazine filled with bullets on her son's bed in their east-end home on Tuesday evening, the Toronto Sun reports.
AK-47 rifle (file photo)

After she took the rifle to the police station, officers searched the home for more weapons.

The 17-year-old, who was not home at the time, was arrested later that evening after he returned to the house.

He was charged with 13 offences, including weapons charges and possession of cocaine.

The suspect cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Following the hearing, his mother said she had no regrets about turning in her son. The woman, who also cannot be identified, said she believes the boy's decision to leave the gun in plain site was a "cry for help."

"I thought, if he left it in sight it was a cry for help, because if he didn't want me to see that gun it would be hidden under the bed. So I think that he left it out there on purpose," she said.

"Maybe he knew that I would save him from himself, because he does have a disorder; he's bipolar, and he's been very depressed lately. So I don't know what his plan was – whether it was suicidal or homicidal I was not sure – but at least he had the sense to leave it out."
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
wow, thanks mom.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Good grief.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
the liberal brain-washing is really paying off.  Next thing you know Canadian moms will be willing to send their own kids to blow themselves up, a la Palestinians.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm.  Mixed feelings.  On the one hand he was bi-polar and really shouldn't be armed.  On the other hand, his mother has fucked his life for good.  Maybe she'll feel guilty when he is raped in prison.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]

she believes the boy's decision to leave the gun in plain site was a "cry for help."

Once he gets out of juvi she'll find out for sure.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
This is fucking pathetic. I'm glad my family would never sell me out like this.

If my parents had found something they didn't like in my room, i'd just have gotten a stern talking to from the business end of my father's belt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#7]
If he really is bi polar, then she did some people a favor
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hmm.  Mixed feelings.  On the one hand he was bi-polar and really shouldn't be armed.  On the other hand, his mother has fucked his life for good.  Maybe she'll feel guilty when he is raped in prison.

My thoughts as well.  What happened to being a parent?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
mom0wned
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts as well.  What happened to being a parent?

Didn't you hear?  That's, like, so 1950's!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank God she turned him in. Otherwise, it would have been mass murder for sure.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]

"Maybe he knew that I would save him from himself,....

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Mom knows best!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Somehow this will be blamed on American and the violent society America has.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#15]
13 charges?  The guy had more to worry about than his Mom turning him in for the weapon possession.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
13 charges?  The guy had more to worry about than his Mom turning him in for the weapon possession.

Or it could be that like some Americans, Canadian cops like "interpreting" the law the way they choose to write more charges.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
wow, thanks mom.

What are we advocating? The mom to look over her son's felonious behavior?

Jeez. Most of the time, people are ranting about parents not doing enough, and now we're bitching that they're turning in their kids? You bet your ass that my kid would have been hauled off. Illegal weapons (as much as we don't like it), COCAINE, and he's bipolar too boot. Talk about a ticking time bomb.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#18]
So now you guys support criminals and drug addicts?  WTF?  Did this punk's AK make him part of the club?  Whatever happened to punishing criminals while protecting the rights of LAW ABIDING gun owners?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Drugs + Guns + Mental Disorders do NOT mix.

But it's probably the mom's fault for messing up raising him anyway, easy way out is to give him to police, hard way out is to be a parent.

This is why I support a draft, parents are failing and I have to deal with their left over mistakes in everyday life.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I blame George Bush.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Wonder what dad had to say about the whole deal...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmmm. Flame me if you must, but I see no harm in turning in a minor with an illegally owned gun, who is medically proven to be bipolar, and has been documented as being addicted to coke.

I'm all for the 2nd Amendment, but I wouldn't feel comfortable being around a mentally unstable crack addicted child with any gun. JMO.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wonder what dad had to say about the whole deal...

He's probably not around.  He's down here in America with hookers, blow, and ARs
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or it could be that like some Americans, Canadian cops like "interpreting" the law the way they choose to write more charges.

- or just perhaps, here is something that might baffle a few people here, he actually commited enough violations of the law to warrant 13 charges without any "embelishment".  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow, I'm glad she turned his ass in.

He had coke and was bipolar.

We have no idea what kinds of problems this woman had with this punk.

I would bet he has been a handful for a while.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
bipolar does not mean crazy person, im sure most people here know someone  with bipolar disorder and you dont know it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Why couldnt Mom just turn the gun in to the cops without getting her son arrested>

I agree, drugs, mental disorders, and firearms dont a good mix make. But WTF, why screw over your childs future?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#28]
My boys were better-armed at earlier ages. She couldn't call Uncle Ralph to take the gun? If Junior did something to break the sanctity of the family, OK. If not, may she roast in hell. I can't think of anything but an attack on their mother that would cause me to call the cops on my sons - and then only if I were too feeble to make them regret it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#29]
She did the right thing in getting the weapon out of his hands.  Too bad she screwed him for life in the process.  However, if he really is bipolar and on coke, she might have set hm off if she tried to talk to him about it before going to the police.  Tough call for mom.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
So now you guys support criminals and drug addicts?  WTF?  Did this punk's AK make him part of the club?  Whatever happened to punishing criminals while protecting the rights of LAW ABIDING gun owners?

+10,000
Come on guys, this kid deserves whatever he gets
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My boys were better-armed at earlier ages. She couldn't call Uncle Ralph to take the gun? If Junior did something to break the sanctity of the family, OK. If not, may she roast in hell. I can't think of anything but an attack on their mother that would cause me to call the cops on my sons - and then only if I were too feeble to make them regret it.

Huge +1.  Don't invite the man into your life unless you have no choice, and never betray a family member unless you similarly have no choice.  Remember, society doesn't give a rat's ass about you.  Stay loyal to those who love you and will be there for you.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huge +1.  Don't invite the man into your life unless you have no choice, and never betray a family member unless you similarly have no choice.  Remember, society doesn't give a rat's ass about you.  Stay loyal to those who love you and will be there for you.  

+1 "Blood is thicker than water" doesn't begin to explain it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I know a guy who's bipolar and a gun owner.  He's not a mass murderer, either.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#34]
The amount of disservice this thread is doing to law abiding gun owners is shocking.  He is 17 with an ILLEGAL WEAPON, a COKE ADDICTION, and a MENTAL DISORDER!  How can you have any reservations whatsoever about him being arrested?  Its not like his mom dimed him out for speeding or jaywalking.  

EDIT:  This thread needs to be locked and disappear before the irresponsible bullshit being posted gets quoted.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
We have no idea what kinds of problems this woman had with this punk.

Who knows? Maybe she's been trying and he's just out of control and this was the last straw. I'd say the Dad wasn't mentioned because he's gone and she's trying to deal with this kid by herself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I think she kinda did the right thing.
Bipolar and on cocaine with an AK47 is not a good mix.
Personally, iwould have rather seen the father flush his stash, confiscate the gun until he is old enough to be responsible with it, and kick his ass for having all that shit. A good ass-kicking is usually all a kid needs to get his shit straight
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
wow, thanks mom. hinking.gif

What are we advocating? The mom to look over her son's felonious behavior?

Jeez. Most of the time, people are ranting about parents not doing enough, and now we're bitching that they're turning in their kids? You bet your ass that my kid would have been hauled off. Illegal weapons (as much as we don't like it), COCAINE, and he's bipolar too boot. Talk about a ticking time bomb.

+1

You know, I wonder how many of you would be applauding her if she'd turned her kid in for just drug dealing.  But since he had a gun, well she should've helped him out.  Dear lord.

I seem to think we all wish the parents of the kids from Columbine would have bothered to look at what they were doing and turned them in.

hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I think she kinda did the right thing.
Bipolar and on cocaine with an AK47 is not a good mix.
Personally, iwould have rather seen the father flush his stash, confiscate the gun until he is old enough to be responsible with it, and kick his ass for having all that shit. A good ass-kicking is usually all a kid needs to get his shit straight

And that's the problem.

Too many households without fathers to keep kids in line

~and~

Permissive societies which frown upon "ass-kicking"

Remember that this is Canada we are talking about, had the father been present and gven junior a well-deserved ass-kicking, said father would be in deeper doo-doo than coke-dealing, gun-totin kid.

I suspect Health Canada would have the father lobotomized.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My thoughts as well.  What happened to being a parent?:

+1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Following the hearing, his mother said she had no regrets about turning in her son. The woman, who also cannot be identified, said she believes the boy's decision to leave the gun in plain site was a "cry for help."

Just another prime example of relying on the gooberment to raise your children. This probably could have been handled without sending her son to prison and hampering most chances of having a decent life. Sending a family member to prison is the LAST resort . i would only do it if anothers life was in danger. there may be more to the story but from what i read theres no evidence that she attempted to help him on her own.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I hate all of the bi-polar !@#$ that is being thrown in here.  The only issue should be the weapon and the coke.  Bipolar people are just as capable of functioning in society as the next guy.  My sister is bipolar (and not even on meds, she hasn't killed anyone yet).  There is a possibility that I am bipolar as well, and guess what, despite the fact that I'm a gunowner, I haven't killed anyone, nor has the urge struck me to do so.

It is my personal opinion that bipolar is simply becoming the new ADD.  Just another disorder that is often misapplied to negate personal responsibility.  "It's not his fault he did it!  He's bipolar!" I can just see it now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

John Wayne Gacy wasn't ALWAYS a killer either.  My ex wife was bi polar.  VERY volatile and dangerous part of the time,  VERY docile and kind hearted others.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Flush his coke, take his AK, and beat his ass, but for God's sake, DO NOT call the cops. Can't families handle their own problems anymore, without inviting the government into their lives?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I am sure he will be well adjusted when he gets outs of juvi.  hock.gif
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Flush his coke, take his AK, and beat his ass, but for God's sake, DO NOT call the cops. Can't families handle their own problems anymore, without inviting the government into their lives?

If it was that easy.....we would not have read about this story on ARFCOM.

His mom is having problems and her calling the cops is the proof.

It may have been the call that saved a life........his, her's or a stranger. You never know.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#46]
This pisses me off in all kinds of ways.

I think the kid was headed for serious trouble anyhow, but the fact is the mom betrayed him. When your life is all jacked up, you should at least be able to turn to your mom. Instead she fed him to the wolves hardcore. There was clearly a better way to handle this from her end.

By getting him busted on the gun, then allowing a search to find more stuff, she has shown him that she has little regard for him. If I was that parent, I would have confiscated the guns, destroyed the drugs, and worked out an intervention through a drug program (there is no excuse, these are free and are everywhere). The kid needs help, not to be fed to the justice system.

I think the most disturbing scene in any movie I have ever seen was in the movie Blow, when Johny Depp's mom rats him out. The last person in the whole world that should ever betray you like that is the one who brought you into the world in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Facts either fit the charge or they don't. LEOs don't create facts to make the charge fit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I am sure he will be well adjusted when he gets outs of juvi.  

Exactly the point most are missing . hes just gonna be worse off when he gets out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I have my reservations about bipolar people, but I may be biased because the person I knew was one of my ex-girlfriends.

Let's just say she was fine for the most part, but got out of hand a few times. My point being, certain people experience it on different levels, and being a crack head sure as hell wouldn't be doing him no favors.

Teenage angst + crack + bipolarism = a disaster waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John Wayne Gacy wasn't ALWAYS a killer either.  My ex wife was bi polar.  VERY volatile and dangerous part of the time,  VERY docile and kind hearted others.

so basically your saying if someone is bipolar, then RKBA doesnt apply?  i expected much different from you, being that you work in the medical  field and should have a better understanding of the disorder compared to the average person.  these are the kind of statements expected of DUers not arfcommers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top