Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 9:49:03 AM EDT
We have 3 basset hounds. The oldest is 11 1/2 years old now.  He has horrible pain in his hips from age/arthritis. He sleeps with us at night (leave the objections to this in the appropriate thread) and lately (several months) has been having alot of trouble jumping up into the bed. I started him on 81 mg of aspirin a day and this seemed to help for a time. It doesn't seem to be working anymore though. He sits at the foot of the bed and whines in a very high pitch until one of us gets up and lifts him into the bed. (one of us being the hubby as I can't lift him) Can I give him more aspirin then I have been? Would the vet have something that would work better? Cost isn't that much of a factor, he has been alpha in this house (behind humans of course) his entire life and we want him to be comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We have 3 basset hounds. The oldest is 11 1/2 years old now.  He has horrible pain in his hips from age/arthritis. He sleeps with us at night (leave the objections to this in the appropriate thread) and lately (several months) has been having alot of trouble jumping up into the bed. I started him on 81 mg of aspirin a day and this seemed to help for a time. It doesn't seem to be working anymore though. He sits at the foot of the bed and whines in a very high pitch until one of us gets up and lifts him into the bed. (one of us being the hubby as I can't lift him) Can I give him more aspirin then I have been? Would the vet have something that would work better? Cost isn't that much of a factor, he has been alpha in this house (behind humans of course) his entire life and we want him to be comfortable.

It sounds to me like you might be coming to a sad conclusion. More aspirin is just likely to cause stomach problems. You might want to look into DMSO. It is a topical medicine that is often good for arthritis in humans.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Sadly wolfman I must concur, his time is drawing near and that is why it is so important to me to keep him as comfortable as I can. I'll look into the DMSO when I go to the pharmacy tonight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#3]
We have a corgi mix with bad hips. Our vet [my fil] has recomended that we have the hips removed. Idon't know if this would help arthritic joints or not. Might be worth a call to your vet. I don't think its cheap though, but we supposedly get a discount.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We have a corgi mix with bad hips. Our vet [my fil] has recomended that we have the hips removed. Idon't know if this would help arthritic joints or not. Might be worth a call to your vet. I don't think its cheap though, but we supposedly get a discount.

If I knew he would last alot longer, I would look into this. Seeing as how a bassets lifespan is 10-12 years though, at 11 1/2 he's closer to deaths door then I care to think about.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:

If I knew he would last alot longer, I would look into this. Seeing as how a bassets lifespan is 10-12 years though, at 11 1/2 he's closer to deaths door then I care to think about.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Reading comprehension is not working today, didn't catch the age of the dog. probably best to make as comfortable as you can. Ramp to get in the bed?              
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Um, I m not a vet but are you sure tylonal is okay for dogs?

Have ever happens I hope his suffering subsides soon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Um, I m not a vet but are you sure tylonal is okay for dogs?

Have ever happens I hope his suffering subsides soon.

tylenol is not good for dogs.
aspirin, which I am giving him is safe for dogs. I have done this with other dogs in the past with a vets ok.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#8]
there are various NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) that you  can move up to to manage pain.    the most common one is Rimadyl, which also has a chance of producing kidney? (maybe liver) failure.    it is a risk but most people accept it for end of life situations.   I wouldn't recommend it for younger dogs.

sorry your hound is doing poorly.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
www.happyhop.com/

This is the 1st one that came up when I Googled. There are other sizes/brands
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Glucosamine and Chondrotin (sp?) have done wonders for my 12 year old lab's arthritis.

Good luck

Ed
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#11]
There are numerous arthritis/dysplasia solutions for easing pain but none can be obtained without visiting your vet. The one I have had most success with is called Rimadyl. There are some downsides to this product which are well documented but keep in mind that this is from a relative few cases as compared to the huge good it's done overall. I administered it to my dog when she had osteosarcoma (bone cancer) and it worked well right up to the end days when the pain was just to great. Research Rimadyl first because there has been some problems then discuss it and other solutions with your vet.

Here's a link to the official site: www.rimadyl.com/display.asp?country=US&lang=EN&drug=RC&species=CN&sec=000

Here's a link to some side effects: www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html

Hope this helps and good luck
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.happyhop.com/

This is the 1st one that came up when I Googled. There are other sizes/brands

that looks promising. thank you

danonly thank you for the info on NSAIDs. I want him to be pain free, but I don't want to push him faster to deaths door. It's really a toss up on that med, one I am not at liberty to make as Winston is the hubbies dog, they just let me move into their house.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently dealt with a similar situation with one of my four dogs. I gave my dog Rimadyl (prescribed by my vet) and built steps for my dog to get on to the bed. The Rimadyl made my dog more comfortable (or at least less uncomfortable) and the steps returned some of his self-sufficiency. He seemed happier and that meant the world to me.

I empathize with you. Good luck.

ac
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#14]
MrsGungho
As you 11.5 is pretty well up there for a basset. 13yo is the oldest Basset I knew, he had horrible back and hip problems that resulted in too much pain for him to lead a happy life so the owners put him down.

In the last few years a few drugs have come on the market to help with joint pain for animals, your vet should be able to steer you to those.

How is his weight ? I bet he is a spoiled dog so he could lose a few pounds ? If you can get him to drop just a few pounds it could make a world of difference.
Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top