Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 8:35:58 AM EDT

Well I guess he's going to think he would be important now................he blows major ass!
I hate him on "That 70's Show", he better do it right, and not suck!

Spider-Man 3
Topher Grace

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh hell no.  There went all hopes for that movie.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Um...what?

Him as Carnage? Perhaps, Carnage is a lot skinnier, but as Venom? COME ON!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#3]
maybe they see venom as a woman?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, considering the Venom part of him will be CGI and you won't see his real physique, who cares?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Heck, even Gilligan [Bob Denver] rates higher on the man scale then Topher. At least they did not sink to DiCraprios level tho.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, considering the Venom part of him will be CGI and you won't see his real physique, who cares?  

He'll still sound like a whiny grabass.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Its just the point of it......................., look, even the Devil is cryin'.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never even heard of him.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought the same thing when I heard Toby McGuire was going to be Spider-Man, but it worked out okay.  I will give it a chance.
ETA:  Eddie Brock, the guy who became Venom in the comic books, was something of a whiner himself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#10]
After reading the IMDB info I'm willing to bet that the Venom symbiote has been changed (for the sake of non-fan movie goers) to a military experiment gone wrong and not an alien organism.

(this theory is based on the fact that there are like 12 "lab techs" listed in the credits)

Thoughts on that theory?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its just the point of it......................., look, even the Devil is cryin'.

Actually the Devil started crying when they cast Ben Whoffleck as Matt Murdock, he hasn't stopped since.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#12]
After watching Sam Raimi's work for years and seeing the amazing results of Spiderman 1 and 2, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#13]
His other movie this year sounds pretty good though.  Title at least.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0488097/
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I thought the same thing when I heard Toby McGuire was going to be Spider-Man, but it worked out okay.  I will give it a chance.
ETA:  Eddie Brock, the guy who became Venom in the comic books, was something of a whiner himself.

+1

I'm stoked that Venom's going to be in it, period.  The casting surprises me too, but I agree with Rik's sentiment.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Eddie Brock, the human half of Venom is supposed to be an olympic strenght weight lifter.  Not some tooth pick of a man.    When the Venom costume was on Spiderman (in the comic books) spider man still had the same physique as with the red and blue costume.    They should at least keep that part.  Instead the costume is going to give the toothpic big ass muscles?  WTF
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
After reading the IMDB info I'm willing to bet that the Venom symbiote has been changed (for the sake of non-fan movie goers) to a military experiment gone wrong and not an alien organism.

(this theory is based on the fact that there are like 12 "lab techs" listed in the credits)

Thoughts on that theory?

I've heard rumblings that they may follow the modified Venom/Symbiote storyline that the Spider-Man cartoons used with the Alien hitching a ride back to Earth on a Space Shuttle or some such (they've already set this up by bringing J. Jonah Jamesons son the astronaut into the plotline in #2). I think it would be asking way too much to follow the real origin of the alien symbiote with the whole Secret Wars/Beyonder plotline.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]
What made venom so cool was the fact he was a big badass powerfull dude.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#18]
What in hells half acre is a Topher anyway?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

A "Topher" is a tall gopher.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A "Topher" is a tall gopher.

Hollywierd-shortened "Christopher"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Thoughts on that theory?

They'll probably go with the Storyline from Ultimate Spider-Man.  In that storyline, the Venom Suit was created as a cure for cancer.  The whole history of the alien costume could never be done in one movie.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
After watching Sam Raimi's work for years and seeing the amazing results of Spiderman 1 and 2, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Took the words right out of my mouth, well, fingers...

If Raimi's at the helm, it's gonna be good.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Doesnt seem too formidable of an enemy , Red could just call him a "dumbass" and he would cry. Even "hot Donna" could kick his ass.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Eddie Brock, the human half of Venom is supposed to be an olympic strenght weight lifter.  Not some tooth pick of a man.    

Ummm....last time I read it, Eddie Brock was a photojournalist?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#26]
BTW, IMDB listings are horribly inaccurate...Topher Grace WILL be in Spider-Man 3, but I have seen no independent confirmation that he will be playing Venom.  In fact, most insider speculation is that he will be playing Electro.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Doesnt seem too formidable of an enemy , Red could just call him a "dumbass" and he would cry. Even "hot Donna" could kick his ass.

Did Scarecrow seem too formidable in Batman Begins? No. He was a prissy looking Metrosexual. But he made for a pretty cool intermediate bad guy didn't he?

"Free your mind, Neo"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Eddie Brock, the human half of Venom is supposed to be an olympic strenght weight lifter.  Not some tooth pick of a man.    

Ummm....last time I read it, Eddie Brock was a photojournalist?

That is true, in the comics, he is competing with Peter Parker for stories. That is how he got the symbiote after spider-man gets rid of it with the bells, because he was following him. But he was a weight lifter/ big guy anyway.
Again, I could see him being carnage, not venom.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He'll still sound like a whiny grabass.

+1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Never read any of the Spiderman comics.  But from what I've heard others say about this casting choice is that it's so they have someone to be a sort of mirror image of Peter Parker.  If you notice, Topher is built similarly to Maguire.  They'd both be playing these sort of "nerds" that get superpowers, but one uses his power for good, and one for evil.  That's my understanding of it.  YMMV.

The real supervillian of this movie should just be my avatar...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top