Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 6:01:19 AM EDT
company or employer do inventory? And, is it really that big of a deal to you?
If I hear one more of my guys bitch moan about having to do inventory I'm gonna go postal!
I pay them double time during regualr business hours. That seems fair to me...I think I've
spoiled them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Why do you pay them double time?

Inventory is a natural part of business.  At one job I had we did it monthly.  While others bitched about it I just did my job.  And by having to do it monthly I was forced to keep my area clean and well organized.  As a result I had inventory times down to about 2 hours.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#2]
How in Hell can someone bitch about gettin paid double time?

You working adults or high schoolers?  Surely no grown up would complain about that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Since my company makes software.  We have nothing to inventory.

Well.  I am sure the IT guys count the computers.

ETA.  CRAP CRAP CRAP!  Wasted post 9000!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#4]
i work for a small computers store.   we really don't inventory stuff.   we order most stuff as needed
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, the main plant (worked in a sawmill/limber yard) inventoried infrequently, maybe once or twice a year.  It was just accepted that the software would have errors in quantity most of the time. The quantity in stock was mainly just an estimate.

At the small retail branch in another town I worked in, things were so slow we'd inventory maybe once a month.  Why not?  Nothing else to do.  The only thing that I fudged were the railroad ties, because, god, there were so many (2500+) and they were impossible to count because they were stacked so densely.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
We go with one big Annual inventory, and then we do a limited inventory quarterly.  So everything will be counted twice a year.

This year, one of the limited inventories came up with a signifigant difference from what the computer had, and we did a mid-year complete physical inventory.  But that's highly unusual...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why do you pay them double time?

Inventory is a natural part of business.  At one job I had we did it monthly.  While others bitched about it I just did my job.  And by having to do it monthly I was forced to keep my area clean and well organized.  As a result I had inventory times down to about 2 hours.  No big deal.

I'm beginning to ask myself the same thing. Most really appreciate it, but there's always the
5% percent that get spoiled and complacent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Our inventory is rental cars. The bank does it for us.
They don't want us to "misplace" even one of them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm doing four a year.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quarterly

Max
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Back when I worked for a mining company, the GM, the salesman and myself had to inventory the stockpiles of aggregates 4 times a year.

Climbing piles and measuring them is a bitch. Especially in Ohio winters.

And we were all salary.

It could be worse, give them a cup of STFU.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#12]
We do an equipment inventory every year just to keep up with what has been stolen.

Mostly computer and video equipment, but this year, someone stole 16 cots and sleeping bags.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#13]
in what i do, it requires a monthly reconcile
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#14]

How many times per year?

Never
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Depends on how much stuff I think they're stealing.

Sounds like you've got a couple whiney boys working for you.  I've done inventories in about every place I've ever worked.  I don't recall ever getting paid special for it though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#16]
last one I even heard about was about 2 years ago..   Don't think they've done it since..    Dosen't really effect me much, I keep a list of everything I am responsable for.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#17]
2 x's a year.
plant shuts down for 24 hrs and 3 shifts counting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top