Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 4:23:47 AM EDT
Unbelievable.  These are well to do parents.  Why could they not find a sitter for their kids, they found one for their dog.  How much you want to bet they are liberals?

Max

Police: Pups get sitter, kids left alone
10-year-old of parents: 'I thought they loved them more than us'

Wednesday, January 4, 2006; Posted: 10:01 p.m. EST (03:01 GMT)

Manage Alerts | What Is This? MANTECA, California (AP) -- A husband and wife -- who found a dog sitter for their new puppies but left their 9-year-old son home to care for his younger autistic brother while they celebrated the new year in Las Vegas -- were arrested Wednesday, police said.

Jacob Calero and his wife, Michelle De la Vega, left Calero's sons -- Joshua, 9, and Jason, 5 -- at their San Ramon home early Friday while the newlyweds headed out of town for a five-day trip, police said.

The children's mother, Cristina Calero, died of breast cancer in 2003 and Calero married De la Vega last year.

The maternal grandmother, Libbey Holden, said she called police after she suspected the couple had left the children behind. (Watch grandmother lambaste newlywed couple -- 2:09)

"I had big concerns," Holden said Wednesday, sitting in her Manteca apartment filled with family pictures, including smiling portraits of her late daughter. "These kids are helpless."

Police said they found the children asleep in their beds Saturday night, a day after being left alone. A gas fireplace was turned on, but they found nothing out of the ordinary.

"It appears that the food and the environment were set up for them to be alone," San Ramon Police Sgt. Brian Kalinowski said.

The older boy said he was instructed to not answer the front door, so officers had to use a ladder to enter the home through an unlocked sliding glass door on a second-floor balcony.

Joshua said he and his brother ate cereal for breakfast and cooked frozen dinners in the microwave for lunch and dinner. He said his dad and stepmother left Friday morning while they were asleep. They had asked him to watch his younger brother, but didn't tell him where they were staying, he said.

"They shouldn't leave us alone," Joshua said, sitting in the living room of his grandmother's apartment. "I didn't know who I could call in an emergency. Even if I called my father, he's far away so there wouldn't be much he could do."

Joshua said the couple got each other puppies for Christmas and went so far as to bring the pug and the poodle-Maltese mix to De la Vega's mother before leaving town.

"I thought they loved them more than us," the boy said.

Holden said she tried calling Calero, but couldn't reach him. Worried, she consulted friends and finally decided to call authorities.

Officers began calling Calero's cell phone Saturday, but he didn't call back until Tuesday.

They flew from Las Vegas early Wednesday and were arrested at Oakland International Airport and jailed in Contra Costa County.

The exact charges were not immediately clear. Authorities scheduled a late afternoon news conference.

Joshua said it wasn't the first time he and his brother were left home alone. Last fall, his dad and stepmother kept him out of school for a week so he could baby-sit his brother while they went away, he said.

Calero and De la Vega are both cosmetic dentists in Santa Clara.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

The maternal grandmother, Libbey Holden, said she called police after she suspected the couple had left the children behind. (Watch grandmother lambaste newlywed couple -- 2:09)

Where is that video?  Bet that's a keeper.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:27:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I got this off of CNN.

Max

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/04/home.alone.ap/index.html
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I just watched that video.  Grandma appears to be Fillipino - and a smart cookie.

Her closing statement, "They are perfect parents - for dogs - but not for my grandchildren!"

Gotta love that.

Shoot the parents - WHO ARE STILL NOT HOME.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Ban parents...FOR THE CHILDREN!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Whats the problem they left them cereal and the fireplace on? No harm , No foul
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top