Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 12:09:58 AM EDT
I have often wondered how Americans of French descent feel about the anti-French comments and jokes that are so popular among Americans as well as other Westerners.

I myself am of German descent almost entirely, and even though my family has been in the US for a little more than a hundred years, I am still very proud to be German.

This makes me wonder how the Americans with French last names feel about the popular culture of hating or disrespecting the French.

I'd imagine that to a certain extent, some Americans have for the most part sworn off their heritage, as they don't want to allign themselves with those being ridiculed, as you don't often hear folks in the stated with last names like Du Bois getting defensive when the French jokes come out.

Anybody have any personal experience with this?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m half French, half German. My mother is from France and if the comments don’t bother her, they don’t bother me!

She knows, and willingly admits that France is screwed up!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a lot of French in me, and I'm still trying to get it all out.

There's nothing you could say about France that would offend me.

The only thing good that country has done in the last 75 years is stay out of wars and breed beautiful pop singers....

edited - take the time to read the BOTD rules thread tacked at the top of this forum ~ 82ndAbn

Oh, so sorry, I forgot the new BOTD rules.....namely that a picture of a clothed woman would scorch the eyes of children, grown men and gun nuts alike. Here, here's one that's perfectly acceptible and preferable to an attractive lady:

There, I'm good. Happy now?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Maternal great grandfather was French - Canadian. Emigrated from Nova Scotia. We don't talk about him much. It's not because he was French - Canadian, it's just because we are so far removed from our immigrant ancestors. My dad's family has been here since the mid 1600's. So, we don't really see ourselves as immigrant stock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I am an American with a French surname....and first and middle names as well. My Mother was Canadian who spoke French in Ontario with family going back into Quebec, but her Mother was American. My Father was American, who was a half dozen generations into the US from Canada. My surname has been traced by a Geneaolgist cousin back to France in the 1500s.

I say "Fuck 'em", "What have they done for US lately?"

No Expert

American of Canadian descent. According to a cousin, our ancestors pretty much fucked anything in Europe that walked...so most of "Europe" is somewhere in my ancestry.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't bother me at all. It's been way over 200 years since my family was expelled from Acadie. Longer than that since they lived in France.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:37:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm an American.

I can't help where my family lived centuries before my time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently found out that I have French, way back in my roots.  Apparently a family member was a famous french pirate who took pride in raiding and destroying British ships during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.  After the War of 1812, he decided to settle in the US.

I still have no problem bashing the french.  I enjoy it.  Its like an after school sport.  You can do 24/7/365.

You can do it in the car
You can do it in a bar
You can do it on your while youre on the phone
You can do it when youre playing "hide your bone"

Well I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned.

Damnit I'm bored.  So bored that intertwined french bashing with Bob Dylans Rainy Day Women 12&35
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:07:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I am sure there a vietnamese somewhere talking about those American surrender monkeys
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:29:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I see France bashing as completely warranted.  I feel the same for Germany bashing.

Now, if you start going after the Irish you've got a fist coming your way.

I'm a mut, but I'm an American mut.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:47:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Phrench bashing is very acceptable and should be 100% acceptable to all Americans. IIRC, a US citizen is sworn in his allegance to the US, and if I'm not mistaken you can't be Johnnie Two Sides if you hold the right to a US Passport.

With the exception of Israeli/Americans.  Don't get me started on that though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:00:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...edited - take the time to read the BOTD rules thread tacked at the top of this forum ~ 82ndAbn

Oh, so sorry, I forgot the new BOTD rules.....namely that a picture of a clothed woman would scorch the eyes of children, grown men and gun nuts alike. Here, here's one that's perfectly acceptible and preferable to an attractive lady:

Now THAT is funny, rules or not !
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Either you're an American, or you're not.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:03:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a lot of French in me, and I'm still trying to get it all out.

There's nothing you could say about France that would offend me.

The only thing good that country has done in the last 75 years is stay out of wars and breed beautiful pop singers....

edited - take the time to read the BOTD rules thread tacked at the top of this forum ~ 82ndAbn

news.getyours.com/images/b106.jpg

Damn that's funny!  And you are so right with your point.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#15]
  I'm an American with a French last name, by way of my Paternal  Grandfather from Quebec. My beef with Canada and France are based on their CURRENT behavior, not past history.

I'm very proud of my last name but none of the bashing offends me.

I am an American. That's where my loyalty lies.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Phrench bashing is very acceptable and should be 100% acceptable to all Americans. IIRC, a US citizen is sworn in his allegance to the US, and if I'm not mistaken you can't be Johnnie Two Sides if you hold the right to a US Passport.

Also, claiming Phrenchness is a very bad idea if you are a manly male for two reasons;

If you visit Phrance you could find yourself being called up for National Service and have to practice 'surrender drills'.

ANdy

In 1985 I had a buddy in the Army who had a French mother as well. Don’t know how it happened, but he received papers in the mail stating he was required to join the French military. He had to go see JAG and get documents sent out stating he was a member of the US Armed Forces and not obligated to join the French military.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:19:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I am an American as well, and proudly serve in the military, but some of the responses kind of shock me.  

How is it that some Americans can have such little regard for their heritage and the history of their people?  It seems to me that it would be disappointing to only have 200+ years of history to relate to.  

Perhaps it's different when you are 1/4 Cherokee, 1/8 Italian, 1/8 Polish, and 1/2 Irish, etc.  I guess that it would make it hard to pick one to relate to, other than at the annual (insert ethnicity here) fest.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
  I'm an American with a French last name, by way of my Paternal  Grandfather from Quebec. My beef with Canada and France are based on their CURRENT behavior, not past history.

Great point.  It was my Grandfather's (and Grandmother - she was a nurse) war when they said, "Lafayette, we are here!"  France is (was?) our oldest ally - back to the 1770s.

For the record - I think the current French are fucksticks.   That is all.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect, it is legal to have two or even more passports.
I have a Dutch (mom) one and an American (dad) one.

All kidding about the French politics aside, they have well trained special forces working side by side with our guys in Afghanistan and are hunting terrorists rigth now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

True. Both my kids were born in Germany and have two sets of birth certificates, one from the German government and one from the US Consulate. If they wanted to they could apply for, and receive German passports as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Welp, am I a "Frenchy"? I guess so, at least that's where my father came from, although I don't know him all that well. DO I mind that Americans make fun of the French? Hell no! As far as I'm concerned, I'm an American, after all, I was born here in America. I make fun of the French, how can anyone NOT make fun of the French?

Do I have "French pride"? Nope, but I'm sure damn proud to be an American!

Eh, fuck the frogs!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True. Both my kids were born in Germany and have two sets of birth certificates, one from the German government and one from the US Consulate. If they wanted to they could apply for, and receive German passports as well.

Keep in mind that in most European countries a birth certificat doensn't mean citizenship at all times.
That is why they unlike the US don't have people hopping they're border just to have a kid.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep in mind that in most European countries a birth certificat doensn't mean citizenship at all times.
That is why they unlike the US don't have people hopping they're border just to have a kid.

Partner, my wife is German. Both my kids were born and for the most part raised there. And my wife has already inquired at the German Consulate about passports for the kids. If they so desire they can obtain German Passports.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:48:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great point.  It was my Grandfather's (and Grandmother - she was a nurse) war when they said, "Lafayette, we are here!"  France is (was?) our oldest ally - back to the 1770s.

For the record - I think the current French are fucksticks.   That is all.

They are not our oldest ally.  Everyone needs to read "The French War against America, How a Trusted ally Betrayed Washington and the Founding Fathers" By Harlow Giles Unger, 2005 ISBN:  0-471-6511-3

During and after the Revolution the frogs were activly attempting to take control of the US away from "US" and make us a frog colony.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:50:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm an American.

I can't help where my family lived centuries before my time.

+1

Both my parents are French.  It was the first language they learned to speak. I am mostly french and the rest indian.  My last name means, "One who lives on the slimy sands of Brittany."

I think the politics and moral compass of the country called France are absurd and it does not negatively affect me at all to hear them get knocked around for being largely idiots.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I have German roots, so I naturally have an UBER destain for the French.......

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Can we dust off this classic?

How can somebody not find this funny?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top